Windows 10: I disabled HDMI audio on external monitor; now I want it back

Discus and support I disabled HDMI audio on external monitor; now I want it back in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi, this is my first post here, hope it's in the right place. I recently added an old Dell Inspiron AIO as a second monitor. The audio was coming out... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by ryment, Mar 26, 2021.

1. ryment Win User

I disabled HDMI audio on external monitor; now I want it back

Hi, this is my first post here, hope it's in the right place. I recently added an old Dell Inspiron AIO as a second monitor. The audio was coming out of the speakers, so I found a thread on this forum that explained how to disable the audio. Now, I want to be able to enable the audio but no matter what I do, I cannot find it.

The way I disabled it was going to Device Manager>Sound, Video and Game Controllers> Right clicking the device and selecting Disable. Now, I cannot get the device back. I have unhid Disabled devices, still not there.

How can I get my audio back? Thanks in advance.

Windows 10
    Aorus X470 Gaming 5 WIFI mobo
    Ryzen 5 2600
    32GB (4x8GB) Corsair Vengeance DDR4 RAM

Here is the thread I followed to disable, if it helps.
    How to turn off HDMI audio?

:)

ryment, Mar 26, 2021

2. HDMI to DVI Monitor Will Not Play Audio

This is complicated. I started out having a simple television monitor, connected to a VGA cable to my computer. Recently, I decided to have dual monitors. I got an HDMI cable and a HDMI to DVI converter because my computer doesn't have a HDMI port. After
    plugging everything in, setting up, I had two monitors: the television, and a secondary screen. Putting audio through right from the pc works, or simply plugging earphones into the audio jack on the computer. The television, however, does not play sound anymore.
    I updated, disabled, did everything for the drivers. Didn't seem to work. I'm not sure if I should still connect the audio cable from the television to the back of the computer, since HDMI cables support both audio and video. When I right click playback devices,
    and check disabled and disconnected devices, HDMI does not show up at all. Any suggestions on how to fix this? Do I need an audio cable, or is the HDMI cable enough?

I'm currently using the IDT High Definition Audio CODEC on an HP Pavilion Desktop Computer.

Thanks! Any help will be appreciated!

ThomasChen_395, Mar 26, 2021
  3. Clinto Win User
    How to turn off HDMI audio?

Hi Shimshom and Fireberd. Thanks for the suggestions. I have set the Dell laptop as the playback device. But if the external monitor is connected to the laptop, there is no sound. If I unplug the HDMI cable (so there's no connection between the laptop and the external monitor) then the sound plays through the laptop.

I suspect that when the HDMI cable is connected, the system software just sends audio and video to the external monitor. But the external monitor has no speakers, so I get no sound.

Fireberd, I looked in Device Manager and couldn't find where/how to disable HDMI sound. Can you please explain how to do that in Windows 10?

Clinto, Mar 26, 2021
  4. redant17 Win User

Disabled motherboard audio device disappears from sound configuration

Win 10 on a Gigabyte Z170X mobo. This board has Creative Soundblaster audio as well as the Intel chipset audio that goes out HDMI cable. Both were working but at some point the system sent some audio to the monitor instead of the Creative device which goes
    to external speakers.

So I selected "disable" on the two Intel audio devices (one for HDMI, one for display miniport). Instead of appearing "disabled" they simply disappeared from the sound configuration list. They remain in the Devices list and are listed as "enabled". But
    since they are no longer listed in the Control Panel sound configuration settings, I can't turn them back on. Rebooting made no difference: still listed as enabled devices, but still not present in Control Panel sound settings.

I'd like to get the Intel devices back so I have the option of using them. Any suggestions please?

Thanks very much.

redant17, Mar 26, 2021
Thema:

1. I disabled HDMI audio on external monitor; now I want it back - Similar Threads - disabled HDMI audio

2. HDMI monitor disabled sound

in Windows 10 Gaming
    HDMI monitor disabled sound: Hi,I recently purchased an ASUS VA27EHE Eye Care Monitor and connected it to my Microsoft Surface Laptop 4 running Windows 11 version 10.0.22000 Build 22000 using an HDMI cable. While the external monitor offers an enhanced visual experience, alas entirely disabled the sound...
  3. HDMI monitor disabled sound

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    HDMI monitor disabled sound: Hi,I recently purchased an ASUS VA27EHE Eye Care Monitor and connected it to my Microsoft Surface Laptop 4 running Windows 11 version 10.0.22000 Build 22000 using an HDMI cable. While the external monitor offers an enhanced visual experience, alas entirely disabled the sound...
  4. External monitor HDMI audio driver keeps cutting in and out

in Windows 10 Gaming
    External monitor HDMI audio driver keeps cutting in and out: Hi My setup is as follows. Laptop > USB-C Hub > HDMI cable > External monitor setup u32j59x is the model number of this Samsung monitor.I never had any issues with audio until now.I have my Logitech speaker jack connected to the monitor. And, audio will play fine out of those...
  5. External monitor HDMI audio driver keeps cutting in and out

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    External monitor HDMI audio driver keeps cutting in and out: Hi My setup is as follows. Laptop > USB-C Hub > HDMI cable > External monitor setup u32j59x is the model number of this Samsung monitor.I never had any issues with audio until now.I have my Logitech speaker jack connected to the monitor. And, audio will play fine out of those...
  6. External monitor HDMI audio driver keeps cutting in and out

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  7. HDMI Audio on Monitor with No Speaker

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    HDMI Audio on Monitor with No Speaker: Hi guys, anyone know how can i use hdmi audio when i connects to a monitor without audio? Iss there a setting to set it manually either on win 10 settings or nvidea. Control panel? submitted by /u/fetpotatoh [link] [comments]...
  8. Envy Laptop with External Monitor HDMI

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Envy Laptop with External Monitor HDMI: I've tried to connect my LG external monitor to my new Envy Laptop. I have the laptop and monitor powered up, the HDMI cable is connected between the monitor and the laptop. The monitor displays "No Signal - Please check your connection -HDMI1 input is connected. Click OK...
  9. I want to run to external drives as back up

in Windows 10 Customization
    I want to run to external drives as back up: I want to run to external drives as back up. I cant work out how to do it. I contacted support some time ago and was told they would send email how to do it. It did not arrive and since then I have had a further hard drive failure was able to salvage plus I did have current...
  10. External monitor audio

in Windows 10 Customization
    External monitor audio: I'm using a laptop with an external monitor. During online chat, when I share a video from the external monitor the audio from the external monitor can't be heard by the other party....