Windows 10: I don't have permission to access a partition in my system

Discus and support I don't have permission to access a partition in my system in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; One day I opened my computer and tried to access a partition on my system when i found this messageI've tried to access this partition from cmd as... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by AK2E, Jun 28, 2021.

1. AK2E Win User

I don't have permission to access a partition in my system

One day I opened my computer and tried to access a partition on my system when i found this messageI've tried to access this partition from cmd as admin but I couldn't?Note: I don't know if this has something to do with this error but I dual boot Windows and Linux Note2: When I tried to list the content from cmd [dir D:\] it listed the files successfully

:)

2. Partition permissions

Hi all.

I have a laptop and created a C partition with Windows and programs (and system, boot, etc) and a D partition with select user data (Documents, Downloads, Videos, Music, etc) folders, and various other files and folders.

I wanted to change the default permissions on the D drive, particularly because Windows gave excessive access to my and other users' data folders.

So, I logged in as administrator and gave SYSTEM and ADMINISTRATORS group (COMPUTER_NAME\ADMINISTRATORS) full control to the D partition as well as folders and files on it. It shows up as "Inherited" from NONE and "Applies To" "This Folder, Subfolders,
    and Files".

But when I try to open the D partition in Explorer, I get an error that it's inaccessible and access is denied. When I right-click to check Properties and then Security, I see a message "you must have read permissions to view the properties of this object.
    Click Advanced to continue".

When I click "Advanced" I have an option to click "Continue" to attempt the operation with Administrative permissions. And finally, when I click that it looks exactly how I think I want it.

Principals = "System" and "Computer_Name\Administrators", both "Access" = "Full Control", "Inherited" = "None", "Applies To" = "This folder, subfolders, and files"

When I check "Effective Access" for this account, I see all green checkboxes, limited by nothing.

I can add other permissions ("Authenticated Users", etc) and then I can access everything I need on D.

My questions:

1. Why can't I, using an account which is a member of the Administrators group and without adding other permissions, open the partition and view the folders, and files?
    2. What's the best way to set the correct permissions for users directory at D:\Users? The way I see it System and Admins should have all access to everything while users can additionally access their respective user directories and everything below.
    Thanks a lot, community!

DankerLamb356, Jun 28, 2021
  3. Anthony Gal, Jun 28, 2021
  4. louhoang Win User

File permissions to delete file

You can try the steps below

1. Right click the file to that you don’t have permission to access. Vlick Properties.
    2. Go to Security tab and select Edit.
    3. Select Add button
    4. Type Everyone then select Check Names. Click OK to save changes.
    5. you will be back in the previous window, under Group or users names, choose Everyone then check mark Full control.
    you can refer more: Fix: You dont currently have permission to access this folder in Windows 10

louhoang, Jun 28, 2021
Thema:

1. I don't have permission to access a partition in my system - Similar Threads - don't permission access

2. I have no access or permissions

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I have no access or permissions: I recently did a recovery on my laptop due to not being able to get below 100% disc usage. My system was barely working at all. After completely wiping everything and reinstalling windows, the disc was STILL having around 85-100% usage. One thing I found searching online is...
  3. I have no access or permissions

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I have no access or permissions: I recently did a recovery on my laptop due to not being able to get below 100% disc usage. My system was barely working at all. After completely wiping everything and reinstalling windows, the disc was STILL having around 85-100% usage. One thing I found searching online is...
  4. "You don't have permission to access...." error

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    "You don't have permission to access...." error: I'm trying to download my tax transcript from IRS web site and receive this error on my fully updated Windows 10 laptop, no matter which browser I use Edge, Chrome, Safari.You don't have permission to access...
  5. "You don't have permission to access...." error

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    "You don't have permission to access...." error: I'm trying to download my tax transcript from IRS web site and receive this error on my fully updated Windows 10 laptop, no matter which browser I use Edge, Chrome, Safari.You don't have permission to access...
  6. "You don't have permission to access...." error

in Windows 10 Gaming
  7. "You don't have permission to access this folder" I cant access my USB

"You don't have permission to access this folder" I cant access my USB: I can't use my USBs and hard drives because of this. Every time I try to connect USBs and hardrive the same message keeps coming up. I've tried to fix it "following step by step by step tutorials from everywhere but it just won't get fixed. I'm sick and tired of it. I need...
  8. "You don't have permission to access this folder"

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    "You don't have permission to access this folder": I can't use my USBs and hard drives because of this. Every time I try to connect USBs and hardrive the same message keeps coming up. I've tried to fix it "following step by step by step tutorials from everywhere but it just won't get fixed. I'm sick and tired of it. I need...
  9. Internet .... Access Denied You Don't have permission to access ....

in Browsers and Email
    Internet .... Access Denied You Don't have permission to access ....: While searching the web for a number of things using Microsoft Edge, Chrome and Avast SafeZone I came across: Access Denied You don't have permission to access "http://www.baskinrobbins.com/" on this server. Reference #18.a6921602.1473777976.6a63591 and Access...
  10. Access Denied. You don't have permission to access "" on this server.

Access Denied. You don't have permission to access "" on this server.: ERROR MESSAGEAccess Denied You don't have permission to access "Steam Community :: Error" on this server.Reference #18.b1f31502.1439008845.47ab9a03 Hello there, I use steam. So basically what's happening is that sometimes, randomly I get this error message because of...