Windows 10: I don't have permission to move files even though im the admin

Discus and support I don't have permission to move files even though im the admin in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; It started happening around when I changed my computer account from local to microsoft account. I tried making me the owner of the folder which seems... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/trobot2, Oct 17, 2020.

1. I don't have permission to move files even though im the admin

It started happening around when I changed my computer account from local to microsoft account. I tried making me the owner of the folder which seems to work for other people but it did not work for me, and it actually seems like the more I try to solve the issue the less permissions I have, because before I tried solving it I could move files to most folders except one. But now I can't move files to any folder, or paste a file either.

submitted by /u/trobot2
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/trobot2, Oct 17, 2020
  2. louhoang Win User

File permissions to delete file

You can try the steps below

1. Right click the file to that you don’t have permission to access. Vlick Properties.
    2. Go to Security tab and select Edit.
    3. Select Add button
    4. Type Everyone then select Check Names. Click OK to save changes.
    5. you will be back in the previous window, under Group or users names, choose Everyone then check mark Full control.
    you can refer more: Fix: You dont currently have permission to access this folder in Windows 10

louhoang, Oct 17, 2020
  3. Scoka Win User

I am trying this, but it's taking a very long time.

Scoka, Oct 17, 2020
  4. Hydrate Win User

I don't have permission to move files even though im the admin

Windows is extremely confusing in its permissions and file ownership.*Sad

If Taking Ownership of the files does not work, then the ACL and permissions are misconfigured.

Permissions precedes the ownership, you can have ownership but incorrect permissions in accordance with the ACL Access Control Lists (Windows).

Microsoft - How Permissions Work

I suggest that you open powershell (Search > type powershell > Right click > run as admin) and execute this command:

Code:
    This command restores permissions to default for all files contained within C:\ quietly.

Followed by this command once completed:

Code:
    This command restores full permissions to the Administrators on the computer, which I presume you are an Administrator.

And reboot the computer, and finally attempt to delete the file after attempting to retake ownership.

If that does not work, then I suggest using a third party utility known as UnlockIT:
    Downloads - UnLock IT

And download, install. Ensure you select customized installation.

Right click the folder that contains the files or the files individually that you would like to delete, and follow as here:

I don't have permission to move files even though im the admin wrqPMO6.png

Then this should delete all files you right clicked upon after restarting the system.

You should not run into issues regarding permissions after this, and if you do, post again and I'll look into it.

Side note: often times malware tends to hijack a system and fluff itself in permissions that benefit itself.

Hydrate, Oct 17, 2020
Thema:

I don't have permission to move files even though im the admin

1. I don't have permission to move files even though im the admin - Similar Threads - don't permission move

2. Cannot change permissions even though I'm the Admin

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cannot change permissions even though I'm the Admin: System Info: Every one of the Administrator permissions have been changed to "Special" and nothing else. Even when I'm logged into the Admin account already tried a new local admin account if there is a "shield" that needs clicked, then I can't get through without...
  3. Cannot change permissions even though I'm the Admin

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Cannot change permissions even though I'm the Admin: System Info: Every one of the Administrator permissions have been changed to "Special" and nothing else. Even when I'm logged into the Admin account already tried a new local admin account if there is a "shield" that needs clicked, then I can't get through without...
  4. Asking for administrator's permission even though Im the admin, and still dont have the...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Asking for administrator's permission even though Im the admin, and still dont have the...: I am the only user on my computer window 11 home and logged in as the administrator I have already checked in setting->account, my email is a regular Hotmail account not a school/work email.I tried to access the "Windowsapp" folder but it stated I need to provide...
  5. Asking for administrator's permission even though Im the admin, and still dont have the...

Asking for administrator's permission even though Im the admin, and still dont have the...: I am the only user on my computer window 11 home and logged in as the administrator I have already checked in setting->account, my email is a regular Hotmail account not a school/work email.I tried to access the "Windowsapp" folder but it stated I need to provide...
  6. Why do i have to run executable files as admin even though I have admin permissions?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why do i have to run executable files as admin even though I have admin permissions?: Every time I try to run an .exe file I need to run as administrator to open it instead of double clicking https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-do-i-have-to-run-executable-files-as-admin/b6d02232-c89f-40f4-8192-965491460ad6
  7. Why do i have to run executable files as admin even though I have admin permissions?

Why do i have to run executable files as admin even though I have admin permissions?: Every time I try to run an .exe file I need to run as administrator to open it instead of double clicking https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-do-i-have-to-run-executable-files-as-admin/b6d02232-c89f-40f4-8192-965491460ad6
  8. Why do i have to run executable files as admin even though I have admin permissions?

in Windows 10 Customization
  9. Need permission to move and delete, even though I own the files.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Need permission to move and delete, even though I own the files.: Whenever I try to delete or move items in the Documents, Pictures, and Videos folders in the "This PC" tab, it tells me that I need to provide administrator permission to delete/move it. When I press "Continue", it tells me that I need permission from myself. I'm...
  10. Cant change or delete files, even though im an admin

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Cant change or delete files, even though im an admin: Recently, I have not been able to change or delete files on my pc. I have looked it up, and going in to properties of the file and giving myself permissions either doesnt work on some files or the option to change it is grayed out. For example, I tried to move Program...