Windows 10: I don't have permission to open my files

Discus and support I don't have permission to open my files in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Right, so bare with me because I know it sounds like this question has already been answered however in my case it actually hasn't. So I rebooted my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by PamelaGrandon, Jan 11, 2021.

1. I don't have permission to open my files

Right, so bare with me because I know it sounds like this question has already been answered however in my case it actually hasn't. So I rebooted my laptop to factory settings the other day, I backed everything up on my WD Passport Ultra. Now I have managed to get all the files back on my laptop, which is great, however I don't actually have permission to open any of them. I've done the usual method of going into Properties, Security and first editing the permission on users, then when that didn't work I went into Advanced settings and changed the ownership of the folders and replaced the owner on sub containers and objects. Now that apparently is all done, but it actually doesn't change anything and I still don't have the permission to open any of the files. I tried, deleting all the other owners and only leave this computer but it doesn't make any difference. I've tried doing it through CMP but it doesn't work.

Does anyone have any ideas of what else I could do?

:)

PamelaGrandon, Jan 11, 2021

2. Folder won't open due to permission issue

Hello,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft community. I understand your concern. Let me help you.

I suggest you to sign out from the current account, restart the computer and log in with Administrators account and

check if it helps to resolve the issue.

I suggest you to refer to the steps below and check if it helps to resolve the issue.

• Press and hold or right-click the file or folder, and then click
      Properties.

• Tap or click the Security tab.

• Under Group or user names, tap or click your name to see the permissions that you have.

To open a file, you have to have the Read permission. To change the permissions of a file or folder, follow these steps.

Important you must be logged on as an administrator to change permissions on files and folders.

• Press and hold or right-click the file or folder, and then tap or click
      Properties.

• Tap or click the Security tab.

• Under Group or user names, tap or click your name to see the permissions that you have.

• Tap or click Edit, tap or click your name, select the check boxes for the permissions that you must have, and then click
      OK.

Hope this helps. If the issue remains unresolved, please get back to us with more information and we’d be happy to help.

Rajeshwari_Patil, Jan 11, 2021
  3. louhoang Win User
    File permissions to delete file

You can try the steps below

1. Right click the file to that you don’t have permission to access. Vlick Properties.
    2. Go to Security tab and select Edit.
    3. Select Add button
    4. Type Everyone then select Check Names. Click OK to save changes.
    5. you will be back in the previous window, under Group or users names, choose Everyone then check mark Full control.
    you can refer more: Fix: You dont currently have permission to access this folder in Windows 10

louhoang, Jan 11, 2021
  4. I don't have permission to open my files

No permissions

Hi,

I would suggest you to right click on the user's folder for your profile and check if the permissions shows as "read only'. If this is the case, it might be causing the issue. In this case, I would suggest you to go to C:\User folder, right click on the
    folder with your username and follow these steps:

• Open the properties of the main user profile folder where the files are located (such as Documents, Pictures, etc).
    • Go to the Security tab and click Advanced.
    • Check the box at the bottom of this window. It is labeled "Replace all child object permissions with inheritable permissions from this object" and then click Ok.
    This does a one-time action that replaces the security on all the files/subfolders. It’s one-time, so you won’t find that box checked if you peek at it later. Try these steps and let us know the results for further assistance.

Bennet Martin, Jan 11, 2021
Thema:

I don't have permission to open my files

1. I don't have permission to open my files - Similar Threads - don't permission open

2. I don't have my own permission to delete files....

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    I don't have my own permission to delete files....: please help , thankshttps://i.imgur.com/zU7rqbe.pnghttps://i.imgur.com/G9lSyH4.pnghttps://i.imgur.com/q5dLTGo.png***moved from zh-hant*** https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-dont-have-my-own-permission-to-delete-files/8de331a7-c4c0-4b75-932f-b6a3355daf68
  3. you don't have permission to open this file

you don't have permission to open this file: I am the only person using all my devices, including my PC Win10 64 bit, camera, SD card etc. I took some MOV files on a camera SD card, then tried to open them this morning from the SC card on the PC. The PC successfully played the MOV files with Media Player, but I want to...
  4. you don't have permission to open this file

in Windows 10 Gaming
    you don't have permission to open this file: I am the only person using all my devices, including my PC Win10 64 bit, camera, SD card etc. I took some MOV files on a camera SD card, then tried to open them this morning from the SC card on the PC. The PC successfully played the MOV files with Media Player, but I want to...
  5. you don't have permission to open this file

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. Don't have permission to delete a file

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Don't have permission to delete a file: HelloI've downloaded a pdf which I want to delete now.When I try to delete it del / shift + del / options->delete no action is happening.When I try to delete it through the powershell as administrator I get a message that I don't have permission for this operation.I searched...
  7. Don't have permission to delete a file

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Don't have permission to delete a file: HelloI've downloaded a pdf which I want to delete now.When I try to delete it del / shift + del / options->delete no action is happening.When I try to delete it through the powershell as administrator I get a message that I don't have permission for this operation.I searched...
  8. It appears that you don't have permission to open this file. Check the Permission and try...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    It appears that you don't have permission to open this file. Check the Permission and try...: Recently My Hard drive attacked by some unknown virus/malware, i am not sure. But I used windows reset option to get rid of all unresponsive things started happening to Windows, but after reset it started acting weird, Some .JPG files shows this title error. What should i do?...
  9. don't have permission to open folder

don't have permission to open folder: I am logged in as administrator. How can o gain access tio this folder? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/dont-have-permission-to-open-folder/16f52966-519c-48b9-a5fa-bb4418afaf31"
  10. Don't have permission to save files

in Windows 10 Support
    Don't have permission to save files: Hi, I did try searching for help with this but it wasn't working for me so I wonder if anyone can help. I recently installed an SSD and cloned my previous C drive to it. Everything works fine. Except that I cannot save files in Program Files or Program Files x86 on the...