Windows 10: I don't want to "Allow the computer to turn off Wi-Fi to save power" but I do want...

Discus and support I don't want to "Allow the computer to turn off Wi-Fi to save power" but I do want... in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Wake-on-LAN is setup correctly via magic packet, but a problem yet persists.[ATTACH] As you can see in the screenshot, I am unable to keep my computer... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Garjoh98, Aug 3, 2020.

1. Garjoh98 Win User

I don't want to "Allow the computer to turn off Wi-Fi to save power" but I do want...

Wake-on-LAN is setup correctly via magic packet, but a problem yet persists. I don't want to "Allow the computer to turn off Wi-Fi to save power" but I do want... af3ecadd-158b-4bd4-a844-3f4ab9e35ba9?upload=true.png

As you can see in the screenshot, I am unable to keep my computer from turning off the Wi-Fi adapter thus not allowing me to wake it up after a certain amount of time which is very annoying. Are there any workarounds for this issue to keep the Wi-Fi card alive while having WOL enabled?

:)

Garjoh98, Aug 3, 2020
  2. robtoe Win User

I want to ONLY use WI-FI

Sorry, but this response is hurting my brain - I just have to dig deeper. So, you're saying:

-You turned data off via Settings -> Cellular -> Data Connection: Off

-You head to Setting -> Wi-Fi and see your selected WiFi network listed, and indicated as "connected"

-You attempt any kind of online activity: mail, marketplace, etc, and it indicates "could not connect"

-You get the same problem both on your home Wi-Fi network and your work Wi-Fi network

If it were happening on only one Wi-Fi network (like at your home), I'd suggest you're looking at a router configuration issue. If the same issue occurs in multiple locations, then you'd have to start looking at the phone itself. You don't have to have
    data enabled to get these connections. If so, it simply indicates that youre phone is not connecting to Wi-Fi, or is connecting but can't use it.

I'd almost want to test the phone at the retailer to double-check.

Brain still hurts though.

robtoe, Aug 3, 2020
  3. R3ckl3ss Win User
    I want to ONLY use WI-FI

Sorry, but this response is hurting my brain - I just have to dig deeper. So, you're saying:

-You turned data off via Settings -> Cellular -> Data Connection: Off

-You head to Setting -> Wi-Fi and see your selected WiFi network listed, and indicated as "connected"

-You attempt any kind of online activity: mail, marketplace, etc, and it indicates "could not connect"

-You get the same problem both on your home Wi-Fi network and your work Wi-Fi network

If it were happening on only one Wi-Fi network (like at your home), I'd suggest you're looking at a router configuration issue. If the same issue occurs in multiple locations, then you'd have to start looking at the phone itself. You don't have to have
    data enabled to get these connections. If so, it simply indicates that youre phone is not connecting to Wi-Fi, or is connecting but can't use it.

I'd almost want to test the phone at the retailer to double-check.

Brain still hurts though.

Think you misunderstood me on this,

If I turn off the data connection, then I can use only the wifi's. If I travel outside the wifi's then nothing will connect( correctly as data is disabled ) ie Could not connect when hitting search.

It's all working fine for me, when home it's picks up home wifi, when at work it picks up work. the rest of the time I do use the data, and it picks up notifications. no prob, I don't normally download till at one of the wifi's anyhow.

R3ckl3ss, Aug 3, 2020
  4. Jakub_cze Win User

I don't want to "Allow the computer to turn off Wi-Fi to save power" but I do want...

Power management - Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power

Hello,

I want to uncheck the option of "allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" for the network adapters settings, on the network adapters>>Power Management tabs, uncheck the first option for the WI-FI settings and SIM adapter.

I trying to find out the solution to update the option with registry or GPO, the answers of modify the registry key isn't working on Win 10, like below, but works only for Win7:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\Driver Key, modify the registry key "PnPCapabilities" value to 24, isn't working.

I even found this pretty nice solution:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...power-management-setting-on-a-network-adapter

but again, it is for win 7

Any ideas?

Thank you,

Best regards,

Jakub

Moved from: Windows / Windows 10 / Network & internet

Jakub_cze, Aug 3, 2020
Thema:

1. I don't want to "Allow the computer to turn off Wi-Fi to save power" but I do want... - Similar Threads - don't Allow computer

2. I don't want it...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I don't want it...: Hello everyone in the community saw this question.This question is about resolution of the Windows Boot ManagerHere the detail:I have been downloaded A Windows Insider Program in ISO file type Namely: Windows 11 23h2 Insider Preview to prepare for an installation of Windows...
  3. I don't want it...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I don't want it...: Hello everyone in the community saw this question.This question is about resolution of the Windows Boot ManagerHere the detail:I have been downloaded A Windows Insider Program in ISO file type Namely: Windows 11 23h2 Insider Preview to prepare for an installation of Windows...
  4. I don't know want to do?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I don't know want to do?: My computer is a laptop running Windows 10I have all of my data stored in notepad it's a free programbut wordpad is better because you can click on a URLso I copy pasted my data from notepad in wordpad the problem was I couldn't get the spacing the samein notepad for example...
  5. I don't know want to do?

I don't know want to do?: My computer is a laptop running Windows 10I have all of my data stored in notepad it's a free programbut wordpad is better because you can click on a URLso I copy pasted my data from notepad in wordpad the problem was I couldn't get the spacing the samein notepad for example...
  6. I don't know want to do?

in Windows 10 Customization
  7. I don't want Edge to save passwords

in Windows 10 Customization
    I don't want Edge to save passwords: Sometimes Edge will ask me if I want it to save passwords - I don't want that. I went to this site "https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4468242/microsoft-edge-browsing-data-and-privacy-microsoft-privacy" and got these instructions: "To stop features that speed up web...
  8. WI-FI turn off

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    WI-FI turn off: HI how can Iturn on The WI-FI on my laptop HP Pavilion dv6929nr Notebook PC? iput the Network security ey ,but ican't connect to the wi fiItroubleshooting ,a red Xsay that i have not preferret wireless network, Idon't know how this is hapen,is work good with the etherne...
  9. How do I turn off Windows apps that I don't want?

How do I turn off Windows apps that I don't want?: First on my list is "Store". I have repeated told my firewall to always deny, but it keeps coming up. I know there are other Windows 10 apps that are just as pushy, and take up lots of CPU and bandwidth. What are they and how can I safely turn them off? 115199
  10. I want shutdown but NOT turn off...

in Windows 10 Support
    I want shutdown but NOT turn off...: Hello all. Wondered if anyone can help. Back in the day when you shutdown Windows it would shut down and wait patiently for you to turn the power off. Nowadays, you shutdown and the machine will turn itself off. ACPI and all that Which is great. But I have a...