Windows 10: I don't want to use Photos as the default program/viewer for JPG files, how can I force the...

Discus and support I don't want to use Photos as the default program/viewer for JPG files, how can I force the... in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; Windows 11 won't let me choose a different default application for jpg files. This affects my workflow, adding several extra steps before I can use my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by polandro, Dec 21, 2021.

1. polandro Win User

I don't want to use Photos as the default program/viewer for JPG files, how can I force the...

Windows 11 won't let me choose a different default application for jpg files. This affects my workflow, adding several extra steps before I can use my preferred editor:Usually you can right-click select properties and click 'Change' see pdf example below:this option is not available for jpg exampleFrankly, it's a drag as I prefer to chose which app I use to process files.Any suggestions?

:)

polandro, Dec 21, 2021

2. Windows 10 default image viewer

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I suggest you to follow the below steps in order to change the default image viewer to Paint.

• In search,
    • Type Default Programs.
    • Check whether Windows Photo Viewer is listed in the list.
    • Left click on the photo viewer and select the option paint.

Kindly let us know if you need any further assistance with Windows. We are glad to assist you.

Divya Murugan, Dec 21, 2021
  3. iko22 Win User
    How to get rid of raw file support in windows photo viewer?

I don't want to use Photos as the default program/viewer for JPG files, how can I force the... [​IMG]

I have downloaded this, and it did not work; photo viewer is not in the list of programs in Open With or Default App. I used option 2 step 3, followed by step 5 to 9.

iko22, Dec 21, 2021
  4. Taras Win User

I don't want to use Photos as the default program/viewer for JPG files, how can I force the...

Unable to replace Photos app with Photo Viewer as default (10240).

I'm not making any headway on answers.Microsoft.com so I'm hoping the experts here can explain why I cannot replace the Photos app with Windows Photo Viewer as the default image viewer (in build 10240). From all outward appearances, it seems Windows Photo Viewer is unavailable.

The saga is explained in detailed words and colorful pictures here:
    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/i...2-83ece717ddfb

If that's too tl;dr for you, here are the bullet points:

• Windows Photo Viewer is never listed as an option when using "Open with".
    • "Open with" lets you browse the disk and manually select the desired program. I navigated to "\Program Files\Windows Photo Viewer" but it contains no program there other than "Imaging Devices" (wrong). Choosing "PhotoViewer.dll" produces an error message.
    • In Control Panel's "Default Program", Windows Photo Viewer is shown to be associated with TIF files and nothing else. Attempts to set JPG to use Windows Photo Viewer fail because, again, its program folder only contains "Imaging Devices" (and the dll).

In an attempt to fix this problem, I used the "nuclear option" and Reset the PC. After Windows 10 (TH1 10240) reinstalled itself, I still couldn't select Windows Photo Viewer to be the default image viewer.

Suggestions to fix this?

Taras, Dec 21, 2021
Thema:

1. I don't want to use Photos as the default program/viewer for JPG files, how can I force the... - Similar Threads - don't Photos default

2. I want to open a file and change the default program

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    I want to open a file and change the default program: I want to open a file but my default program is paint and my only other choice is to download one from the store but the program I would like to use is not on the store...
  3. I want to open a file and change the default program

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I want to open a file and change the default program: I want to open a file but my default program is paint and my only other choice is to download one from the store but the program I would like to use is not on the store...
  4. How do I make Microsoft Photos the default viewer for .webp files?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I make Microsoft Photos the default viewer for .webp files?: The WindowsApps folder where it resides is hidden, and I'm led to believe that I should keep it that way for security reasons.When I go to the settings menu > apps, and I select the default programs menu, selecting .wepb files currently set to Chrome, Photos is not on the...
  5. How do I make Microsoft Photos the default viewer for .webp files?

How do I make Microsoft Photos the default viewer for .webp files?: The WindowsApps folder where it resides is hidden, and I'm led to believe that I should keep it that way for security reasons.When I go to the settings menu > apps, and I select the default programs menu, selecting .wepb files currently set to Chrome, Photos is not on the...
  6. I don't want to use Photos as the default program/viewer for JPG files, how can I force the...

I don't want to use Photos as the default program/viewer for JPG files, how can I force the...: Windows 11 won't let me choose a different default application for jpg files. This affects my workflow, adding several extra steps before I can use my preferred editor:Usually you can right-click select properties and click 'Change' see pdf example below:this option is not...
  7. How can I open a .JPG file with Photos ap.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How can I open a .JPG file with Photos ap.: I have always been able to open .JPG files with the PHOTOS app. For no reason that I can understand, attempting that now results in a blank screen. When I change the open all to PAINT, the .JPG file opens immediately. I would much prefer to use PHOTOS to open .JPG files....
  8. Can't Add Default Photo Viewer App I want

Can't Add Default Photo Viewer App I want: Okay so another Windows 10 weird issue! I am trying to make IrfanView my default photo viewer app. However, Windows will not let this be! When I try to choose a default, but this app is not even recognized. What I can do is actually click on a image file and have those open...
  9. default jpg viewer

default jpg viewer: How do I make Win10 use the standard jpg viewer that was used in Win7? I think it was actually a DLL. 105204
  10. How to return pixia as default jpg file viewer/opener

in Windows 10 Support
    How to return pixia as default jpg file viewer/opener: I activated win10 MSpaint and it "captured" all my files as the primary file opener. When I go to default files to change win 10 settings is does not show pixia as a choice. It used to because that's how I set it up two years ago. thanks for all help that comes in very...