Windows 10: I erased an "unknown account" in Registry and killed Windows Hello...

Discus and support I erased an "unknown account" in Registry and killed Windows Hello... in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; Dear All, First of all, thank you for accepting me in the forum... earlier today, I've made a huge mistake, for which I should had known better...I... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by kokkolis, Jul 24, 2020.

1. kokkolis Win User

I erased an "unknown account" in Registry and killed Windows Hello...

Dear All,

First of all, thank you for accepting me in the forum... earlier today, I've made a huge mistake, for which I should had known better...I was trying to fix an issue where the right click onto "start button" was not working...looking into many forums I found a potential solution that involved a registry hack.

Stupidly enough, once into the registry, I right-clicked onto HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT, clicked into "permissions", found an account full of silly numbers and characters that appeared not be mine, and deleted it (without having backed-up the registry...).

The result was to lose Windows Hello. When going to "Accounts" and "Sign-in options", the "Windows Hello" has not been greyed out. For reference, till earlier today I was able to log in my machine using an external camera attached onto the screen of my desktop.

I have checked the Group Policy Editor, "Biometrics" were without a clear on/off setting, I have enabled them, but nothing.

I have also checked my Microsoft Account on Microsoft Edge, where I can log in, but when I go to Security options and I try to enable Windows Hello, Edge asks me to "click here to enable Windows hello" and then it directs me again to the greyed option in my machine Windows Account settings.

I have made a Restore to earlier date (three days ago) but it has not helped, the Windows hello option remains greyed out.

I know, I should had known better not to do this in the registry...stupidly enough, not only I've lost Windows hello but right-click onto the Start button is still not working.

For the record, I must also state I am in Windows insider, Slow ring (Beta), on 19042.388.

I am considering to go to Fast ring (Dev, so as to "re-install Windows") and see if this helps.

Despite being on a version of Windows that one may expect some bugs, Windows hello has always been OK, so this one is on me. The lack of right-click on the Start button I have come across once more, I have replaced the "Winx" folder, restarted Windows Explorer (and then the computer itself) but no joy.

Any help is much appreciated.
    Thank you,

Christos

PS: The one thing I considered doing (and have not done) is to sign-out of my microsoft account from the computer, attempt to log in using a local account and then try again with the microsoft account. The reason I didn't do it is because when I attempt to switch to a local account, Windows is asking me for a new user name, (other than the user name that appears onto my personal folder under microsoft account) and I am afraid doing this will force me when logging back into microsoft account to pick up a 3rd user name for my personal folder, something that I do not want to do..I want to keep the same user name my microsoft account has right now..

:)

kokkolis, Jul 24, 2020
  2. kokkolis Win User

Dear All,

First of all, thank you for accepting me in the forum... earlier today, I've made a huge mistake, for which I should had known better...I was trying to fix an issue where the right click onto "start button" was not working...looking into many forums I found a potential solution that involved a registry hack.

Stupidly enough, once into the registry, I right-clicked onto HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT, clicked into "permissions", found an account full of silly numbers and characters that appeared not be mine, and deleted it (without having backed-up the registry...).

The result was to lose Windows Hello. When going to "Accounts" and "Sign-in options", the "Windows Hello" has not been greyed out. For reference, till earlier today I was able to log in my machine using an external camera attached onto the screen of my desktop.

I have checked the Group Policy Editor, "Biometrics" were without a clear on/off setting, I have enabled them, but nothing.

I have also checked my Microsoft Account on Microsoft Edge, where I can log in, but when I go to Security options and I try to enable Windows Hello, Edge asks me to "click here to enable Windows hello" and then it directs me again to the greyed option in my machine Windows Account settings.

I have made a Restore to earlier date (three days ago) but it has not helped, the Windows hello option remains greyed out.

I know, I should had known better not to do this in the registry...stupidly enough, not only I've lost Windows hello but right-click onto the Start button is still not working.

For the record, I must also state I am in Windows insider, Slow ring (Beta), on 19042.388.

I am considering to go to Fast ring (Dev, so as to "re-install Windows") and see if this helps.

Despite being on a version of Windows that one may expect some bugs, Windows hello has always been OK, so this one is on me. The lack of right-click on the Start button I have come across once more, I have replaced the "Winx" folder, restarted Windows Explorer (and then the computer itself) but no joy.

Any help is much appreciated.
    Thank you,

Christos

PS: The one thing I considered doing (and have not done) is to sign-out of my microsoft account from the computer, attempt to log in using a local account and then try again with the microsoft account. The reason I didn't do it is because when I attempt to switch to a local account, Windows is asking me for a new user name, (other than the user name that appears onto my personal folder under microsoft account) and I am afraid doing this will force me when logging back into microsoft account to pick up a 3rd user name for my personal folder, something that I do not want to do..I want to keep the same user name my microsoft account has right now..

kokkolis, Jul 29, 2020
  3. kokkolis Win User

Dear NavyLCDR, in fact, this approach solved one of the two issues.

After writing this, in my desperation I took the plunge and upped my version to the Dev ring. In fact, upgrading to another version put the missing "unknown account" back (I have attached it underneath for reference in case it gets useful to anyone else)...

Still I don't have right-click on the Start button...despite the big upgrade.

Do you think I should again attempt to Repair Windows with an In-place upgrade?

Thanks a lot,
    Christos

kokkolis, Jul 29, 2020
  4. Steve_809 Win User

Unknown User Account created after upgrading to windows 10. It comes back if I delete it.

Original Title: Unknown User Account

Hello,

Since I upgraded to Windows 10 I am seeing an account that I did NOT create. So I deleted it by going into Control Panel > All Control Panel Items > User Accounts > Manage Accounts then I click on the unknown user account and delete it. That said.... It
    comes back. I have also followed the below suggestions from other posts and still does not seem to work.

Let’s try simple steps and check if the user account is detecting and try removing it.

• Press Windows key + R, type netplwiz and press Enter.

• Check if the user account is appearing on the list.

• Click on user account and click on Remove. (If user account appear on the list).
    Please advise.

Thank you

Steve_809, Jul 29, 2020
  5. Steve_809 Win User
    Unknown User Account created after upgrading to windows 10. It comes back if I delete it.

Original Title: Unknown User Account

Hello,

Since I upgraded to Windows 10 I am seeing an account that I did NOT create. So I deleted it by going into Control Panel > All Control Panel Items > User Accounts > Manage Accounts then I click on the unknown user account and delete it. That said.... It
    comes back. I have also followed the below suggestions from other posts and still does not seem to work.

Let’s try simple steps and check if the user account is detecting and try removing it.

• Press Windows key + R, type netplwiz and press Enter.

• Check if the user account is appearing on the list.

• Click on user account and click on Remove. (If user account appear on the list).
    Please advise.

Thank you

Steve_809, Jul 29, 2020
Thema:

1. I erased an "unknown account" in Registry and killed Windows Hello... - Similar Threads - erased unknown account

2. unknown registry

in Windows 10 Gaming
    unknown registry: hello. i just check my registry and found 3 that i don't remember called "IPS" , "Nahimic" and "Sonicfocus" is that safe or is it a virus https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/unknown-registry/b96a8709-886d-4e04-b019-2563c174fab3
  3. unknown registry

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    unknown registry: hello. i just check my registry and found 3 that i don't remember called "IPS" , "Nahimic" and "Sonicfocus" is that safe or is it a virus https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/unknown-registry/b96a8709-886d-4e04-b019-2563c174fab3
  4. How to kill the "Windows Hello is not setup" notification

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    How to kill the "Windows Hello is not setup" notification: Hello from a warm and sunny Costa Rica.Here is my problem;This message pops up every time after starting my PC. I don´t want to set up Hello, I´m the only user.The "delete" button is not available in Hello or pin set up so that solution doesn´t work.The Register...
  5. Erasing an account

Erasing an account: Hi, when I start the PC I notice 2 accounts are available. They seems the same, but I'd like to keep the one above, since it's linked with a Microsoft account. It's seems I have only 1 account on my PC, but there's something strange since it seems managed by my...
  6. Account Unknown

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Account Unknown: What are all these account unkowns? Also they only show up on files in the download folder.[ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/account-unknown/adac6f72-1485-4aa5-90cd-2391eda1d96e
  7. What is the "Account Unknown" that shows up in registry

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    What is the "Account Unknown" that shows up in registry: I as debugging why I have a lot of 10016 errors in the registry. I read that I need to add administrator Full Cointrol permission to the CLSID and APPID. I was unable to do so as I did not have permission. Probably not important since system seems to be working and I read...
  8. Unknown account

Unknown account: [IMG]1st account shown on the bottom left corner is my account but i don't know from where did the 2nd account came. I can't even remove it. Kindly guide me on how to remove it....
  9. Unknown Registry Key

in Windows 10 Support
    Unknown Registry Key: Hi, I have an up-to-date fully patched Windows 10 Home system and have a query regarding the Registry. Does anyone know what the following Registry Keys are used for: Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\SessionInfo\1\Applicat...
  10. unknown account

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    unknown account: Via Windows Store I downloaded and installed "Persons" (in Dutch: Personen) everything works fine (can add, edit and delete persons,..) but on opening I see an error message "Failed Synchronisation on 1 account" Selecting this I see a button "Repair Account" Clicking this...