Windows 10: I failed installing a SSD and swapping out multiple HDDs.

Discus and support I failed installing a SSD and swapping out multiple HDDs. in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; It all started out a project I was sure I could handle. I wanted to install an SSD with a clean Windows 10 x64 install as my boot drive. Then I wanted... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by weybrew, Apr 30, 2019.

1. weybrew Win User

I failed installing a SSD and swapping out multiple HDDs.

It all started out a project I was sure I could handle. I wanted to install an SSD with a clean Windows 10 x64 install as my boot drive. Then I wanted to swap out my full 2TB HDDs for new 5TB ones. As I got into it, I couldn't get the SDD to boot, then Windows Explorer couldn't see any of the new HDDs. I started to read and watch videos about my attempted task. And I now don't know how to set or convert BIOS LEGACY to UEFI, MBR or GPT, so I've got an assortment of different settings and drives. One thing I did discover was that none of the drives appeared in Windows Explorer when physically attached to the PC, but they are recognized and functional when mounted in a USB dock(!). So now I'm running off a clean Windows install on my SSD and one HHD running in my USB dock...and that's it. I have all my other drives scattered about until I can find a sympathetic super-geek to lead me out of the woods. Can someone help, please? Or perhaps refer me to a complete, thorough, and easily understood guide.

:)

weybrew, Apr 30, 2019

2. Swap HDD between PCs with Win10

Hi,

I just bought a ASUG G20 gaming PC that comes with a 1TB HDD and a OEM Win10 installed with a digital key. I have a custom built Win10 PC with a 500GB SSD and a Win10 digital license (from a Win8 upgrade) linked to my account.

Can I from a Win10 license point-of-view simply swap the HDD over and expect the licenses to function correctly?

My worry is that the OEM license will not work on my custom built PC and that I cannot swap the licenses "around" - any suggestions on how this functions?

Regards

Jeppe

Jeppe Funk, Apr 30, 2019
  3. Clean install Windows 10 on new SSD to rplace failing HDD and corrupte

How to do a clean install of Windows 10 on a new SSD that will replace a failing HDD and corrupted data files in a Laptop PC?
    There seems to be a lot of old posts that touch on various subjects that I need help with but none that lump them all together. This is a clean install of Windows 10 on a new SSD on a Laptop PC that was previously upgraded to Windows 10 with the free upgrade just prior to the free upgrade becoming unavailable. About 6 months ago intermittent weird problems began to appear and with the help of various support groups and Windows Community we came to the conclusion that the HDD needed to be replaced(failed Seagate's drive test) with an SSD (My Choice) and a clean install of Windows 10(corrupted data files in the OS).
    I was given a URL to download and burn to DVD an ISO file of Windows 10 PRO 64bit OS. I purchased a 240GB Sandisk SSD. I don't need to partition this drive as the single C: partition is adequate for size and speed.
    Is there a step by step procedure listed somewhere that preps(formats?) the SSD using disk management for Windows 10 and then using the ISO file that I burned to a DVD, installs Windows 10 on to my SSD? I am not familiar with ISO files and am assuming that is something that is sent to you to boot from and install from when you order SW from MS.

RogerAttila, Apr 30, 2019
  4. T Monahan Win User

Switch HDD to SSD + Add m2 2280 SSD then Activation? Or Activate then swap all the HDD/SSDs around?

Good Afternoon,

Just purchased a brand new desktop PC (it still in the box). Its preinstalled with Windows 10 Professional (awaiting activation) on the a single drive which is a 2.5" HDD. I don't' want that drive in the computer and I've purchased two new SSD's to upgrade
    the system. Once I remove the HDD, its no longer part of my equation.

Current out of the box setup:

2.5" HDD with Windows 10 Pro awaiting first startup / initiation and activation.

Where I want to go:

M.2 2280 SSD as Primary drive with Windows 10 Pro installed and activated here

2.5" SSD as secondary drive for my files/documents/data.

How do I get the preinstalled Win10Pro off the HDD, and activate it on the M2 SSD as the primary OS boot drive? Should I activate windows before making all these hardware changes? Or should I clone/reinstall Windows 10 Pro to the M.2 SSD then activate?
    Last step is adding the additional SSD for data, but that's not a priority … or is it? Add it before activation?

This is the headache I get for buying an pre-built system that wasn't originally spec'd the way I wanted. Oh well.

Do the HDD/SSD changes make a diff to the activation process? or is it all hardware encoded to the motherboard which remains unchanged?

Advice?

T Monahan, Apr 30, 2019
Thema:

1. I failed installing a SSD and swapping out multiple HDDs. - Similar Threads - failed installing SSD

2. Reinstalling Windows when swapping out SSDs for HDDs? Clean install or Clone?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Reinstalling Windows when swapping out SSDs for HDDs? Clean install or Clone?: I have two laptops each currently running Windows 10 off an HDD. I want to replace the hard drives with SSDs. If I install a blank SSD into the laptop and insert a flash drive made, with Media Creation Tool, as a bootable drive and then set the BIOS of the laptop to boot from...
  3. Reinstalling Windows when swapping out SSDs for HDDs? Clean install or Clone?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Reinstalling Windows when swapping out SSDs for HDDs? Clean install or Clone?: I have two laptops each currently running Windows 10 off an HDD. I want to replace the hard drives with SSDs. If I install a blank SSD into the laptop and insert a flash drive made, with Media Creation Tool, as a bootable drive and then set the BIOS of the laptop to boot from...
  4. Reinstalling Windows when swapping out SSDs for HDDs? Clean install or Clone?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Swapping out HD for SSD, was told it can't be done...

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Swapping out HD for SSD, was told it can't be done...: Hey folks, I recently upgraded to windows 10 (recent version)from 8, now I want to boost performance by swapping out to an SSD, geek squad guy says i will have issues with windows ten especially when new update comes out, says thinks will stop working, the guy was very...
  6. Swapping out HD for SSD, was told it can't be done...

in Windows 10 Support
    Swapping out HD for SSD, was told it can't be done...: Hey folks, I recently upgraded to windows 10 (recent version)from 8, now I want to boost performance by swapping out to an SSD, geek squad guy says i will have issues with windows ten especially when new update comes out, says thinks will stop working, the guy was very...
  7. Swapping to ssd?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Swapping to ssd?: I am currently running a system with Linux running on my m.2 nvme and Windows is running on my hdd. Is it possible to have both running on the one ssd and if so how can i move the windows installation to the ssd? submitted by /u/AyeYoItsMateo [link] [comments]...
  8. Format of USB HDDs failing

Format of USB HDDs failing: I am experiencing a PC problem that I need help to solve.I bought a new external USB HDD, and found that when I tried to format it the disk light just came on, stayed on and didn't complete the format. No error messages and I have to force a reboot. One trial was a long full...
  9. I failed installing a SSD and swapping out multiple HDDs.

I failed installing a SSD and swapping out multiple HDDs.: It all started out a project I was sure I could handle. I wanted to install an SSD with a clean Windows 10 x64 install as my boot drive. Then I wanted to swap out my full 2TB HDDs for new 5TB ones. As I got into it, I couldn't get the SDD to boot, then Windows Explorer...
  10. Windows 10 with multiple HDDs

Windows 10 with multiple HDDs: sorry for the silly/stupid questions as i'm a windows newbie. I have windows 10 PC with (4) 3.5 HDDs as Media, Photos, etc...my main OS is on SSD. I wanted to know when my main OS SSD set to sleep can i make my other HDDs accessible? example, My Plex is on one of my HDDs and...