Windows 10: I fell for a scam

Discus and support I fell for a scam in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I fell for the pop up your computer has been locked by Microsoft. The had access to my computer. I froze my accounts, installed SuperAntiSpyware and... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by HeidiJ2, Aug 28, 2021.

1. HeidiJ2 Win User

I fell for a scam

I fell for the pop up your computer has been locked by Microsoft. The had access to my computer. I froze my accounts, installed SuperAntiSpyware and Malwarebytes. Also uninstalled what was downloaded. My question is: There is a folder on my desktop named Make Payment files. It contains downloads. For example extended.js.download, jquery.bootstrap. Stackable.modals.js. and many more. I did not create this folder. Should I delete all these files? Also, if there are additional things I should do, please let me know. Thank you

:)

HeidiJ2, Aug 28, 2021

2. Mother-in-law fell for a "Windows support" scam. Can I save her laptop?

My mother-in-law fell for a Windows scam. Apparently a window popped up telling her that her computer had a virus, and she should call this number where they would clean it up for her. To cut a long story short, she gave them her credit card number and enabled remote access.

Credit cards have now been cancelled and we're going to (on another computer) change mother-in-law's password for every web service.

The laptop is now shut down and in my physical possession. I do not want to boot it up: they could have installed anything (trojans, keyloggers), which even Avast may not be able to defend against, right?

My plan is to remove the hard drive, mount it on another machine, and copy off any important files.

After that, what's the safest way of resurrecting it? Can I reinstall Windows on the drive without first booting it up? Or is it safe to boot up for the sole purpose of initiating a factory reset?

What other steps should I be considering?

Graham Borland, Aug 28, 2021
  3. HELP! Have I just been scammed??

How exactly would you expect Microsoft to step in an help? You fell for the oldest tech scam in the book, so i can understand being angry and even embarrassed, but Microsoft is not to blame for this, nor are they responsible for stopping you.

I will never understand the rationale behind giving out financial information and allowing access to your computer to complete strangers, rather than asking help of someone you trust.

DeaconFrost, Aug 28, 2021
  4. Smeed Win User

I fell for a scam

Smeed, Aug 28, 2021
Thema:

I fell for a scam

1. I fell for a scam - Similar Threads - fell scam

2. I fell for the scam now I'm worried they have everything on my computer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I fell for the scam now I'm worried they have everything on my computer: I fell for their scam now I'm afraid they have access to everything on my computer how do I know https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-fell-for-the-scam-now-im-worried-they-have/b6e83e26-3ee1-44d6-b962-692df50c636e
  3. I fell for the scam now I'm worried they have everything on my computer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I fell for the scam now I'm worried they have everything on my computer: I fell for their scam now I'm afraid they have access to everything on my computer how do I know https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-fell-for-the-scam-now-im-worried-they-have/b6e83e26-3ee1-44d6-b962-692df50c636e
  4. I fell for the scam now I'm worried they have everything on my computer

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. My computer fell of and hard disk is crashed, can I still retrieve the Microsoft windows...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My computer fell of and hard disk is crashed, can I still retrieve the Microsoft windows...: Can anyone please help to retrieve window key from crashed harddisk. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-computer-fell-of-and-hard-disk-is-crashed-can-i/5c307659-3ef0-4aeb-bec5-aa27429e8f7f
  6. My computer fell of and hard disk is crashed, can I still retrieve the Microsoft windows...

My computer fell of and hard disk is crashed, can I still retrieve the Microsoft windows...: Can anyone please help to retrieve window key from crashed harddisk. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-computer-fell-of-and-hard-disk-is-crashed-can-i/5c307659-3ef0-4aeb-bec5-aa27429e8f7f
  7. I fell asleep and when i woke up to my pc it said “reboot and select proper boot device”...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I fell asleep and when i woke up to my pc it said “reboot and select proper boot device”...: I fell asleep playing Roblox and when i woke up my pc has had the message to reboot it and it’s been like that for 5 days, i need help to fix it :...
  8. I fell asleep and when i woke up to my pc it said “reboot and select proper boot device”...

I fell asleep and when i woke up to my pc it said “reboot and select proper boot device”...: I fell asleep playing Roblox and when i woke up my pc has had the message to reboot it and it’s been like that for 5 days, i need help to fix it :...
  9. I fell asleep and when i woke up to my pc it said “reboot and select proper boot device”...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  10. Red Screen Scam - We fell for it

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Red Screen Scam - We fell for it: So, my dad received the red screen scam and called the number. The next thing he knows, gentleman on the phone has access TO HIS COMPUTER. He was controlling the computer for 15 minutes or so, explaining he could fix the virus situation with three charges: $149 to clean up...