Windows 10: I finally converted from my trusty Win 7 Ultimate to Win10 Pro

Discus and support I finally converted from my trusty Win 7 Ultimate to Win10 Pro in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi All, I have been gone from here so long I had to reset my password as I had no idea what it was when I first stopped by many years ago. LOL Anyway,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by winxp, Dec 3, 2019.

1. winxp Win User

I finally converted from my trusty Win 7 Ultimate to Win10 Pro

Hi All,
    I have been gone from here so long I had to reset my password as I had no idea what it was when I first stopped by many years ago. LOL

Anyway, I finally was forced to finally convert to Win 10 Pro once and for all as I will explain shortly.
    I have been around the block since Windows 1.0 was conceived. Yes I'm that dam old. LOL
    Well Windows 7 Ultimate has been my favorite for many years and when they gave us the free upgrade I did try it on my desktop PC but went right back to my Windows 7 after many hours of frustration as I’m sure many of you have gone thru the learning curve.
    Recently in the past week I decided to upgrade my monitor that was bought in 2007 to a nice 28' Samsung 4K 3840 x 2160.
    No I'm not a gamer but have a nice 4k security camera system but I can only get 1920 x 1080 on my old monitor.

So we move forward. New 28" 4K Monitor, Can't do many things online without Win 10 so I did a clean install which surprisingly went OK and even got around good old MS login account setup. The 1st install I actually did setup with MS account and felt like a dummy doing it and did some research on how to get around that and I did.
    If you don't know how and want to do this I will tell you the secret. LOL just PM here.

Now after a day of updates, new drivers, printer setup, and installing the Windows Classic App I felt a little comfortable but that didn't last long as I noticed Win10 doesn't have the Media Center that I wanted for my TV Tuner card.
    So off I went online to buy a new Authorization Code for WinTV from Hauppauge because they just had a new version released (WinTV V10) and you must get a new code for this version as all the old ones don't work.
    So now I'm at day 3 or is it day 4? Is Black Friday coming up or was it a daydream last week?

The good stuff.
    I downloaded Windows 10 Pro using the Media Maker Program from MS and installed without any Product ID and continued on. Low and behold it became a Digital License version with no expiration. What I can figure MS probably remembered my install when MS was giving us FREE Win 10 upgrades. I used my Win7 Ultimate doing it so it must have remembered my digital license. It does show its activated with Pro with no expiration date.

So I feel a bit better now that I have explained this to someone who may have some idea what I'm talking about cause my loving wife has no idea what I have been saying for the past 3 days.
    This is also cheaper than going to a shrink.

Thank you all and I'm going to take a nap.

:)

winxp, Dec 3, 2019

2. DOWNGRADE TO WIN 7 ULTIMATE and UPGRADE TO WIN 10 PRO

I refer to the following Microsoft Community Team’s query:

“……Remember that question you asked on
    Microsoft Community
    a few days ago?

Title:
    DOWNGRADE TO WIN 7 ULTIMATE and UPGRADE TO WIN 10 PRO

We noticed that the question hasn't been marked as Answered yet and we were wondering if you resolved the issue.

The issue “DOWNGRADE TO WIN 7 ULTIMATE and UPGRADE TO WIN 10 PRO” is unanswered. The suggestion to refer to the link

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-10-specifications
    does not answer my query as well. I knew the prerequisites of upgrading to Win 10 from either Win 7 Ultimate or Win 8.1 Home as I have read the min. requirements/machine
    specifications to upgrade directly either from the aforesaid OSes beforehand. The issue is whether from Win 8.1 Home downgrade to Win 7 Ultimate and from thereafter upgrade to Win 10 Pro possible without technicality issues. Nevertheless, since I cannot wait
    for either a reply to the abovementioned issue (or my reservation to upgrade from Win 8.1 Home), I then gathered/downloaded bits and pieces of probable drivers for my machine, formatted my HDD (1TB) for more than 18 hours, clean install Win 7 Ultimate SP1,
    activated using my previously purchased license and ran Windows afterwards, ran updates until repetitive error (around 25 KB updates failed to install many times) popped up during tiresome cyclic updates process. Fed-up with the errors after failed tries to
    source answers from Microsoft Community, I tried my luck by upgrading to Win 10 Pro. After couple of days, viola, I have upgraded to Win 10 Pro finally, whew! Now I am running this machine with Win 10 Pro for a couple of days now, being up to date and running
    very well. Hopefully no problem/s will arise.

Thank to those suggestions though.

TheGragasins, Dec 3, 2019
  3. GaryL-CTO Win User
    Windows 7 Ultimate includes DirectAccess. Will Windows 10 Pro keep it active?

My company is not big enough to justify the cost of Software Assurance. We upgraded a laptop from Win7 Pro to Ultimate, SPECIFICALLY for DirectAccess as the least expensive way to get it for a single machine. With DirectAccess deprecated in the upgrade
    it means that the laptop will be staying as Windows 7 Ultimate and NOT losing a valuable feature to the "free" Win10Pro upgrade. More is less.

GaryL-CTO, Dec 3, 2019
  4. I finally converted from my trusty Win 7 Ultimate to Win10 Pro

WIN10 HOME OEM UPGRADE TO WIN 10 PRO

dears, I have bought a new PC coming with an OEM WIN 10 home to replace a crashed PC running on WIN 7 ULTIMATE. can I upgrade the new WIN10 HOME to WIN10 PRO using the WIN7 ULTIMATE license key? thanks.

TonyTongKC, Dec 3, 2019
Thema:

I finally converted from my trusty Win 7 Ultimate to Win10 Pro

1. I finally converted from my trusty Win 7 Ultimate to Win10 Pro - Similar Threads - finally converted trusty

2. Convert Win 7 Pro to Win 8.1 Activation.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Convert Win 7 Pro to Win 8.1 Activation.: A PC restore point was Windows 7 PRO. However, the PC was running 8.1 prior to the system restore. How do I get my License to covert back to 8.1 when I'm on 7 Pro? Thank you...
  3. Convert Win 7 Pro to Win 8.1 Activation.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Convert Win 7 Pro to Win 8.1 Activation.: The restore point was Windows 7 PRO. However, the PC was running 8.1 prior to the system restore. How do I get my License to covert back to 8.1 when I'm on 7 Pro. Thank you...
  4. I recently upgraded from Win 7 Pro to Win 10 Pro.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    I recently upgraded from Win 7 Pro to Win 10 Pro.: I recently upgraded from Win 7 Pro to Win 10 Pro. Now EaseUS PartitionMaster Pro V7.01 brings up an alarm User Account Control and the app will not run....
  5. Win10 pro key from win 7 upgrade licence

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Win10 pro key from win 7 upgrade licence: Hi Guys I just replace mobo and cpu. I need to reactivate I purchased win10 pro upgrade from win7 back in 2017, I still have the Order and is its in my purchase history but I can not find the key anywhere to reactivate. Logged in with my account but still wont...
  6. I upgraded to win10 pro from win 7 pro by downloading from microsoft. now the boot screen...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    I upgraded to win10 pro from win 7 pro by downloading from microsoft. now the boot screen...: no msg showing about the freeze just stuck during download no msg or problem https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-upgraded-to-win10-pro-from-win-7-pro-by/5a71d3d4-d830-4f61-9f25-bcc075b0f7cb
  7. win 7 ultimate to win 10 home

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    win 7 ultimate to win 10 home: I bought a product key for win 10 home. Upgrading win 10 ultimate only offers win 10 pro. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/win-7-ultimate-to-win-10-home/7f60e015-276d-4c68-8650-d7d411138a0c"
  8. Win 7 to Ultimate - upgrade still possible to Win10 ?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Win 7 to Ultimate - upgrade still possible to Win10 ?: I started with Win 7 Home Premium 64 bit then upgraded to Ultimate some time ago however it's getting slower so would like to upgrade to Win 10. I know the free upgrade offer expired some time ago so wondering if it's still possible ? Not a techie.... 122701
  9. Going from Win 7 pro to Win 10 pro

Going from Win 7 pro to Win 10 pro: Using FREE to paid 3d parties, what is your suggestions to be able to reinstall my current programs running with Win 7 pro, to win 10 pro Some programs, such as iTunes, I find tricky to re-set-up if upgraded, or moved--This, for sure is not an Apple question, but I have...
  10. upgrade from Win 10 to Win 10 pro using win 7 ultimate key?

upgrade from Win 10 to Win 10 pro using win 7 ultimate key?: Hello, I have a computer running windows 10 with digital entitlement from Windows 7 home. I want to upgrade this computer to Windows 10 pro using a Windows 7 Ultimate key that I bought several years ago. It is my understanding that this should be possible with the November...