Windows 10: I found possible memory leak in Windows kernel. How can I report it?

Discus and support I found possible memory leak in Windows kernel. How can I report it? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hello everyone, I gave up in about 5 minutes after trying to figure out where to actually report such bugs. I found a memory leak in Windows kernel... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Samuel Tulach, Oct 18, 2020.

1. I found possible memory leak in Windows kernel. How can I report it?

Hello everyone,

I gave up in about 5 minutes after trying to figure out where to actually report such bugs. I found a memory leak in Windows kernel ntoskrnl.exe that can be invoked from user-mode.

Here is a proof-of-concept program. It is slow since it only allocates 2 bytes per call, but still it's something and it would be nice if it was fixed.

https://github.com/SamuelTulach/GetDeviceInterfacesMemoryLeak

Samuel Tulach

:)

Samuel Tulach, Oct 18, 2020
  2. BulldogXX Win User

Possible Memory Leaks in Windows 10

A memory leak occurs when an application closes and fails to release all its RAM back to the operating system.

The first step in dealing with a memory leak is to determine which application is leaking memory.

The next step is to contact that application's technical support with complete details of the memory leak, since the developers will want to fix the problem ASAP.

BulldogXX, Oct 18, 2020
  3. BulldogXX Win User
    Memory leak issue

The term "memory leak" means that an application fails to return all its RAM to the operating system when it exits. The leftover RAM is unusable to the operating system.

Step one is to identify the application that is leaking memory. Step two is to contact the application's developers and provide as much detailed data on the memory leak as you can. For example: which processes are still in RAM after the application exits
    and how much RAM they occupy. Application developers never want their applications to leak memory and they will be grateful for the details you provide, particularly if they can replicate the leak on their own computers.

BulldogXX, Oct 18, 2020
  4. comnuts Win User

I found possible memory leak in Windows kernel. How can I report it?

is this memory leak?

Hello RASHMIRANJAN1,

I'm an independent advisor and hope this would address your questions.

This is not a memory leak. A memory leak happens when a process or program failed to discard utilized memory when it is no longer in use. In that case, you would see a process or program consuming more and more memory over time.

I wouldn't be worried about the paged and non-paged pools as they aren't excessively large in size. The paged pool is used to store handles of kernel objects, so it is normal to have some usage there. And non-paged pool is used by kernel and drivers of the
    operating system, so it is also normal for some usage there.

comnuts, Oct 18, 2020
Thema:

I found possible memory leak in Windows kernel. How can I report it?

1. I found possible memory leak in Windows kernel. How can I report it? - Similar Threads - found possible memory

2. Possible Memory Leak?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Possible Memory Leak?: So I've been running into an issue for quite some time, I've noticed that my non paged pool at times seems way too high. Sometimes a restart fixes this issue but other times it doesn't. From what I have gathered this is most likely a network driver, however I have already...
  3. Possible Memory Leak?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Possible Memory Leak?: So I've been running into an issue for quite some time, I've noticed that my non paged pool at times seems way too high. Sometimes a restart fixes this issue but other times it doesn't. From what I have gathered this is most likely a network driver, however I have already...
  4. Possible Memory Leak?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Old kernel and memory leaks.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Old kernel and memory leaks.: Hi,Lately, my pc has been having a lot of memory leaks, and many other bugs. I'm tired of constant problems that Microsoft refuses to fix. I've heard that Windows has been using the same NT kernel since 1993. Why? Why not just upgrade it, or even use something like the Linux...
  6. DWM.exe possible memory leak

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    DWM.exe possible memory leak: Hello,Please help? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/dwmexe-possible-memory-leak/55f0bcbe-696c-4ca8-877e-0b67d89e9a72
  7. Memory leak, possible malware

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Memory leak, possible malware: My mom was trying to install TurboTax on the computer I built her this morning, but it was saying she didn't have enough memory (needed 2048 MB). I knew that shouldn't be the case because I installed 8 GB of RAM when I built it. Well, when I looked at the task manager I saw...
  8. How I fixed memory leaks

in Windows 10 Support
    How I fixed memory leaks: I'm not even sure if this is best place to post. Online solutions I found did not solved my memory leaks problem so I decided to share what I have discovered and how I fixed it myself. My PC have 16 GB RAM. I have a NAS and I needed a software to auto backup/sync my files. A...
  9. Possible Memory Leak

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Possible Memory Leak: Windows 10 v1809 Intel i5-8250U 8GB RAM I updated to v1809 from v1803 back in December, and since then, I've noticed that my Memory used at idle and my paged/non-paged pool is significantly more than it used to be, particularly after my computer has been running for awhile....
  10. AdblockPlusEngine.exe is possibly leaking Memory. What do I do?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    AdblockPlusEngine.exe is possibly leaking Memory. What do I do?: I ran a scan in my Webroot software, and it shows that AdblockPlusEngine.exe has a possible memory leak. In looking it up on Microsoft, it was suggested that I try running Microsoft Safety Scanner, and I did. It showed that no Malware, No viruses, and No unwanted software...