Windows 10: I get a code 740 saying program requires elevation.

Discus and support I get a code 740 saying program requires elevation. in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; When trying to install a program for Time2 Outdoor Surveillance Camera using BTHub6 download I get a message saying program requires elevation, and a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by CPPZW, Jan 4, 2020.

1. CPPZW Win User

I get a code 740 saying program requires elevation.

When trying to install a program for Time2 Outdoor Surveillance Camera using BTHub6 download I get a message saying program requires elevation, and a code message 740. Is there a solution to this please?

:)

CPPZW, Jan 4, 2020

2. Error code 740

I use a programme Time2Surveillance to monitor 2 indoor security cameras in my house. I have not used it since my holiday last year but when I have gone to check their operation I get the following message. Unable to execute file: c:\Program Files (86)\Time2
    Surveillance Pro\Time2 Surveillance Pro.exe

Create process failed: code 740 The required operation requires elevation.

The program worked OK last year but there have been several windows updates since it was last used.

I am the only one using the computer and have full administer rights.

The program works fine on my android tablet.

Jim

Jim-Aitken, Jan 4, 2020
  3. AndreyT Win User
    Updated to 1511: "740: The requested operation requires elevation"

In my normal user account (belonging to Users group) I maintain a folder with a bunch of convenient administrative shortcuts, which run certain applications under "Administrator" account through 'runas' utility. Each shortcut's command line looks as

Code:
    Code:
    C:\Windows\System32\runas.exe /user:Administrator /savecred "<command line>"
    Before update to version 1511 all my shortcuts were working fine. After the update most of them suddenly stopped working. Namely, running mmc shortcuts, like

Code:
    Code:
    C:\Windows\System32\runas.exe /user:Administrator /savecred "mmc compmgmt.msc"
    produces error "740: The requested operation requires elevation".

Control panel shortcuts like

Code:
    Code:
    C:\Windows\System32\runas.exe /user:Administrator /savecred "control appwiz.cpl"
    generate a message box

Code:
    Code:
    ::{26EE0668-A00A-44D7-9371-BEB064C98683}\0\::{7B81BE6A-CE2B-4676-A29E-EB907A5126C5} Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item.
    Some applications continue to work, some don't. SysInternal's Autoruns works fine. Far Manager doesn't suffer from it either. But CPU-Z shortcut

Code:
    Code:
    C:\Windows\System32\runas.exe /user:Administrator /savecred "C:\Utils\CPU-Z\cpuz_x64.exe"
    also fails with "740: The requested operation requires elevation".

Is the something I can change (policy etc.) to restore the pre-1511 behavior?

AndreyT, Jan 4, 2020
  4. I get a code 740 saying program requires elevation.

CreateProcess failed; code 740. The requested operation requires elevation

Hello,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I do understand your concern. I will be happy to help you.

Please answer the below questions:

• Are you able to use Crossfire Philippines 2.0?
    • Did you get any error message while installing Crossfire Philippines 2.0?

I would suggest you to try the below methods and check if it helps.

Method 1:

Perform System File Checker (sfc) scan.

System File Checker is a utility in Windows that allows users to scan for corruptions in Windows system files and restore corrupted files.

To perform SFC Scan, refer to the below link:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929833

Note: Steps mentioned for Windows 8/8.1, will work fine with Windows 10.

Method 2: Clean boot.

A clean boot is performed to start Windows by using a minimal set of drivers and startup programs. This helps eliminate software conflicts that occur when you install a program.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929135

Note: Steps mentioned for Windows 8/8.1, will work fine with Windows 10.

Disclaimer: Please go through the section: How to reset the computer to start as usual after troubleshooting with clean boot of the Kb article to boot the computer in normal
    startup after fixing the issue.

I hope this helps you. If you have any further queries, feel free to contact us. We will be happy to help you.

Thank you.

Amit(Kumar), Jan 4, 2020
Thema:

I get a code 740 saying program requires elevation.

1. I get a code 740 saying program requires elevation. - Similar Threads - code 740 saying

2. The requested operation requires elevation

in Windows 10 Gaming
    The requested operation requires elevation: What happens is that I call Microsoft and they sent me to do a few steps but what it did was damage it more https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/the-requested-operation-requires-elevation/e93d6fba-5fd7-4b4d-a5dc-36f28bed8b5b
  3. Error: 740 – Elevated Permissions are required to run DISM

in Windows 10 News
    Error: 740 – Elevated Permissions are required to run DISM: [IMG]When you run the DISM command on your Windows 11 or Windows 10 computer, you may get the Error: 740 – Elevated Permissions are required to run DISM output. This post offers the most applicable fix to this error on your system. When this issue occurs, you will receive an...
  4. CreateProcess failed; code 740 The requested operation requires elevation.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    CreateProcess failed; code 740 The requested operation requires elevation.: Hello. I am writing to you today because I came across an error trying to download this addon to a game. It gave me the error code 740, and I am looking for a fix to this error. I hope you can get back to me soon thank you....
  5. Getting 'Requested operation requires elevation'

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Getting 'Requested operation requires elevation': Software installation failed with the message on subject line above. Running Windows 10 on HP zBook laptop. Thanks https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/getting-requested-operation-requires-elevation/4631f1da-2e2f-4e12-b83f-a7c7c51f2c05
  6. Fix The requested operation requires elevation, Error 740

in Windows 10 News
    Fix The requested operation requires elevation, Error 740: [ATTACH] If you try to run a program or open a folder or delete a file and you receive a message – Error (740), The requested operation requires elevation on your Windows 10/8/7 computer, here are some simple troubleshooting suggestions that [...] This post Fix The requested...
  7. THE REQUESTED OPERATION REQUIRES ELEVATION

in Windows 10 Customization
    THE REQUESTED OPERATION REQUIRES ELEVATION: Iam unable to run .exe files I am getting THE REQUESTED OPERATION REQUIRES ELEVATION https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/the-requested-operation-requires-elevation/421d26f6-05eb-4d10-9ed2-4e64a6761584
  8. Elevated Access Required

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Elevated Access Required: Hello, We're deploying Windows 10 to all our corporate computers, and I was trying to write a batch file to silently install all the necessary core programs that our employees would need. However I keep getting an elevated access required issue when running the batch file...
  9. Updated to 1511: "740: The requested operation requires elevation"

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Updated to 1511: "740: The requested operation requires elevation": In my normal user account (belonging to Users group) I maintain a folder with a bunch of convenient administrative shortcuts, which run certain applications under "Administrator" account through 'runas' utility. Each shortcut's command line looks as Code:...
  10. The requested elevation requires elevation

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    The requested elevation requires elevation: I have seen this question asked before and attempted a few solutions. Fixing computer problems is not my forte and I would really like an easy to followed solution. I have downloaded the program Apache OpenOffice 4.1.2. It has converted most of my files to OpenOffice.org XML...