Windows 10: I got a new PC and installed the hard drive from my old PC into the new PC .

Discus and support I got a new PC and installed the hard drive from my old PC into the new PC . in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; How do I get windows to recognize the old user configuration. And ideally all the programs already on the old hard drive?... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Rick Grote, Sep 15, 2020.

1. I got a new PC and installed the hard drive from my old PC into the new PC .

How do I get windows to recognize the old user configuration. And ideally all the programs already on the old hard drive?

:)

Rick Grote, Sep 15, 2020
  2. DaveM121 Win User

old pc to new

Hi jstring

If the old PC is running the exact same operating system (for example Windows 10 Home) then you can initially activate Windows 10 on the new system and then clone the old drive onto the new drive and when you boot your PC, everything will be as it was on the
    old PC. Windows 10 is remarkably adaptable to new hardware.

You can use software like the Free version of Macrium Reflect to clone the drive, as long as the new hard drive is of equal or greater size and you can connect both drives to your PC

Otherwise, there is no successful way to transfer applications and settings to a new PC, you can transfer your data no problem with a flash drive or external hard drive, but not installed applications . . .

DaveM121, Sep 15, 2020
  3. Old internal hard drive [with OS in it] not detected and not bootable in new PC

Hello,

I just built a a new PC and I wanted to plug my old hard drive to it so I can transfer my files to a new SSD.

My old hard drive runs fine in my old PC, running windows 8. But when I plugged it to my new PC I can't boot from it and it doesn't appear in the boot menu, but it still appears in the BIOS menu.

I tried different cables and tested the cables with a new hard drive and it worked fine with the new one.

It doesn't even appear in the Disk Manager.

It is an old hard drive that's been with me for years, a 1TB Seagate Baracuda, the old "skinnier" kind if you may. The new hard drive is much thicker than it.

Any help much appreciated.

Thank you.

Has'san Barnawi, Sep 15, 2020
  4. I got a new PC and installed the hard drive from my old PC into the new PC .

New pc. Need to transfer data from original hard drive to new Windows 10 pc.

Hi,

Have new pc. Old pc failed [motherboard]. Need to transfer data from old pc hard drive to new Windows 10 on new pc. Please advise.

Thanks,

Joe

jdelaney77, Sep 15, 2020
Thema:

I got a new PC and installed the hard drive from my old PC into the new PC .

1. I got a new PC and installed the hard drive from my old PC into the new PC . - Similar Threads - got installed hard

2. i got a new pc and would like to transfer my second hard drive from my old pc to this new...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    i got a new pc and would like to transfer my second hard drive from my old pc to this new...: i recently got a new pc and need to put a hard drive inside of it. i have a spare one inside my old pc. i want to download windows 10 to this hard drive so when i move it i can use the pc. how do i download windows 10 to this hard drive and set it up on my new pc...
  3. i got a new pc and would like to transfer my second hard drive from my old pc to this new...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    i got a new pc and would like to transfer my second hard drive from my old pc to this new...: i recently got a new pc and need to put a hard drive inside of it. i have a spare one inside my old pc. i want to download windows 10 to this hard drive so when i move it i can use the pc. how do i download windows 10 to this hard drive and set it up on my new pc...
  4. i got a new pc and would like to transfer my second hard drive from my old pc to this new...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Not able to access old hard drive on new pc

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Not able to access old hard drive on new pc: I have a computer that is just a couple of years old but it's having issues connecting to a monitor I'm guessing a video card issue I took out the hard drive, and connected it to a new pc via a SATA-USB cable. However, the new pc is not properly recognizing the hard drive. It...
  6. Not able to access old hard drive on new pc

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Not able to access old hard drive on new pc: I have a computer that is just a couple of years old but it's having issues connecting to a monitor I'm guessing a video card issue I took out the hard drive, and connected it to a new pc via a SATA-USB cable. However, the new pc is not properly recognizing the hard drive. It...
  7. Not able to access old hard drive on new pc

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  8. Access external hard drive from old PC using my new PC

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Access external hard drive from old PC using my new PC: I have a new PC and have my old hard drive in a caddie. I can access all files except for those on my personal folder in Users. It must be protected somehow, but when I right-click and get into security settings and allow access, it still doesn't let me in. I downloaded a...
  9. New pc with old drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    New pc with old drive: I Just installed windows onto my pc and I have an old drive with all my stuff. How can I open all my programs from my old drive because they are not appearing on windows?...
  10. new hard drive on pc

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    new hard drive on pc: How do i move my widows 10 to a new upgraded hard drive on the same pc. i want to make the new drive the main drive for my computer https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/new-hard-drive-on-pc/04f6fb36-043c-4977-9df2-d444a59167e3