Windows 10: I had to allow Media sharing in order to access other computers on my network. Why?

Discus and support I had to allow Media sharing in order to access other computers on my network. Why? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I could not access files on the other computers on my network until I allowed media streaming on all network computers.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Shaffer52, Sep 23, 2018.

1. Shaffer52 Win User

I had to allow Media sharing in order to access other computers on my network. Why?

I could not access files on the other computers on my network until I allowed media streaming on all network computers.

:)

Shaffer52, Sep 23, 2018
  2. DTG1 Win User

Cannot access shared network drive

Personally, I wouldnt use Everyone. If anyone hacks into you, they have full access to everything and can demolish everything on your raid. I would rather set up accounts and access separately for each person. That way, I know who did all that damage. In the end with a little extra work, I feel more secure by using Authenticated Users.

If this helps.
    step 1 create non-microsoft account and without email and address without admin rights
    step 2 share a drive or folder to specific user account (if Everyone is listed, remove it)
    step 3 set security > add Authenticated Users (if more than 1 account) or add specific users
    step 3a remove Everyone from list
    step 3b uncheck full control and write for all items listed except SYSTEM and Admin account.
    step 4 right click Start > Computer Management > System Tools > Shared Folders > Shares ... to verify settings and change anything else. You can also see the number of connections to each share here.

3. Cannot access shared network drive

I could scream! so much time wasted on this stupid error, as if time is not precious enough!
    It probably would work fine if I could see the other computer! But I cannot see the other computer!

sharonspost, Sep 23, 2018
  4. I had to allow Media sharing in order to access other computers on my network. Why?

KB3185614 Not allowing Network Shared Drive Access

Hi Nivay,

To address your concern, we would like you to check the following:

• After updating, check your Network profile under Network and Sharing Center, make sure that it is set to Private and not Public.
    • If you are using a third party antivirus software, make sure that the
      Network drive
      is set to Trusted.
    • Ping the network drive and check if you're getting a reply.
    • Access the network drive through it's IP address via run field and not through the existing shortcut, then check if it is accessible.
    • If the network drive is accessible via IP address, we would suggest you to re-map the network drive and delete the previous one that has the red X mark.

Thank you.

Stephanie Sal, Sep 23, 2018
Thema:

I had to allow Media sharing in order to access other computers on my network. Why?

1. I had to allow Media sharing in order to access other computers on my network. Why? - Similar Threads - allow Media sharing

2. Why can't I connect to other computers on same network for file sharing?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why can't I connect to other computers on same network for file sharing?: I have my first Windows 11 workstation and though I have all the file sharing settings correct, it is not able to connect to other workstations on the same network....
  3. Why can't I connect to other computers on same network for file sharing?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why can't I connect to other computers on same network for file sharing?: I have my first Windows 11 workstation and though I have all the file sharing settings correct, it is not able to connect to other workstations on the same network....
  4. Unable to access shared drive on other network computers

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Unable to access shared drive on other network computers: Hello, on our home network we have my computer and my wife's computer and recently we purchased a WD MyBook to act as a backup drive for the both of us. I've gotten this set up and it is currently plugged into my PC and I have set it to share to the network. However, when I...
  5. Allow network sharing - but selectively deny internet access

Allow network sharing - but selectively deny internet access: * Allow home network sharing - but selectively deny internet access to secondary computers Searching for answers, I found threads for the inverse situation (allow guest internet access but block access to host resources) but not my question....
  6. Can't access other computers on network

Can't access other computers on network: Of course it was working fine when on 1803 (after lots of tinkering) but now on 1809 I can't get to my other computers. I turned off password protection in network sharing so at least I can bring up the other computers but when I try to access the user etc I get access...
  7. Network Computers not Allowing Access

Network Computers not Allowing Access: Hello, We have a network that contains most of the computers at our facility. There are 3 computers in this network that are relevant: 1 "host" computer with a folder that should visible to the other 2 "client" computers (quotes are referencing that these are just the...
  8. Other computers can access my network, but i can't access theirs.

Other computers can access my network, but i can't access theirs.: I tried connecting to 2 different computer via Ethernet cable and WiFi but their pc can't be accessed and is requiring user/password login or network credentials to access. The settings Turn off password protected sharing and Use user accounts and passwords to connect to...
  9. Accessing other computers on the network...Help!

Accessing other computers on the network...Help!: I have a couple servers on my network. I re-installed windows on my main desktop yesterday and I can't access the servers now. All the network discovery buttons are checked yes. The network servers are accessible through two other Windows 10 laptops. After some searching on...
  10. Sharing Networked drives with other applicaions on other computers

Sharing Networked drives with other applicaions on other computers: Hi there Is there a way to share a Network drive with another computer (via File sharing - not via standard networking access) For example I have say computer A that has shared networked drives from computer C (\\server\shared drive) Now say I want to run PLEX or...