Windows 10: I had to rename my username because it had a space in it, causing issues with certain...

Discus and support I had to rename my username because it had a space in it, causing issues with certain... in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I had to rename my username because it had a space in it, causing issues with certain software packages. So I followed this guide to do so, How to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by aje0827, Dec 17, 2020.

1. aje0827 Win User

I had to rename my username because it had a space in it, causing issues with certain...

I had to rename my username because it had a space in it, causing issues with certain software packages. So I followed this guide to do so, How to Rename a Windows 10 User Folder. Thus changing my username and username folder "User Name" to "User" so it had no space. This worked for the programs I was having issues with. But now new software I need to download fails!

It seems the new programs are trying to install some of its files in the "C:\Users\User Name" path. Which does not exist anymore... causing it to fail. This is my guess

Just to clarify further... The installation path for the program during installation is a public path "C:\Program Files\Autodesk\" so the issue is I am assuming is that the Autodesk software is trying to install some files in my old non existent "User Name" folder instead of my new "User" folder.

I would greatly appreciate help on this! I am reaching out to Autodesk about this as well but I have a feeling this will happen for other new software too, if they operate the same.

Thank you in advance!

:)

aje0827, Dec 17, 2020

2. Having trouble renaming my username

A few questions before I use this program:

• Is there any risk of losing data while transferring it from one profile to another? I only need to transfer C drive but will I need to backup both C and D drive?
    • If I do need to backup my drives, what would be the most economic method, both in terms of price and drive space (both of my hard drives are already almost full)?
    • Is there any risk of losing certain customizations, configurations, or even apps? As I've mentioned before simply renaming my user profile folder caused me to have to reinstall a few apps.

razelfragel, Dec 17, 2020
  3. jackin Win User
    Is it possible to rename profile folder name without causing any issues?

I noticed when username is renamed the profile folder C:\users\xyz stays xyz it does not change.

If we were to rename profile folder name to be consistent with renamed username would it cause any issues?

jackin, Dec 17, 2020
  4. I had to rename my username because it had a space in it, causing issues with certain...

Username or Password not registering on certain site

Windows 10. When I log onto a certain school email account, from any browser, and put in my username and password, it says 'invalid'. Yet on a smartphone it works as usual! The email site says nothing changed with them, and all other email usernames
    and passwords work ok on all other sites. It's as if the site isn't registering my info, but only from my computer, and again, from any browser. Any suggestions?

scottmar98, Dec 17, 2020
Thema:

I had to rename my username because it had a space in it, causing issues with certain...

1. I had to rename my username because it had a space in it, causing issues with certain... - Similar Threads - rename username space

2. My laptop restarted randomly and it was because I had enabled Spotlight and the image had...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My laptop restarted randomly and it was because I had enabled Spotlight and the image had...: I had previously reported this as it seemed to be when the laptop was put to sleep but this time, I logged onto the laptop as usual and it had the same image when I last logged in approximately 10 hours ago.I loaded Chrome and was on a betting site amongst other tabs and as...
  3. My laptop restarted randomly and it was because I had enabled Spotlight and the image had...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My laptop restarted randomly and it was because I had enabled Spotlight and the image had...: I had previously reported this as it seemed to be when the laptop was put to sleep but this time, I logged onto the laptop as usual and it had the same image when I last logged in approximately 10 hours ago.I loaded Chrome and was on a betting site amongst other tabs and as...
  4. I had renamed a folder and every single app on my desktop had been renamed with the same name

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I had renamed a folder and every single app on my desktop had been renamed with the same name: I added a new folder and decided to play with the alt keys and see what type of characters I could get from it and decided to save, but after saving, all my apps on my desktop had been renamed, all were sorted on my left side of my screen I used to have them in a diamond...
  5. I had renamed a folder and every single app on my desktop had been renamed with the same name

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I had renamed a folder and every single app on my desktop had been renamed with the same name: I added a new folder and decided to play with the alt keys and see what type of characters I could get from it and decided to save, but after saving, all my apps on my desktop had been renamed, all were sorted on my left side of my screen I used to have them in a diamond...
  6. I had a HW issue and had to reinstall Win10

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    I had a HW issue and had to reinstall Win10: I had a HW issue and had to reinstall Win10. How can I re-install MSFS 2020? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-had-a-hw-issue-and-had-to-reinstall-win10/d06287ef-e38c-46fa-b02a-5955120e49d9
  7. Renaming username and user folder - has anyone had any success?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Renaming username and user folder - has anyone had any success?: Hey I've recently built a PC without a Windows licence – I wanted to test everything first before shelling out (and I definitely will be buying one). Unfortunately, my username can't be changed at the moment, and my user folder is just the first 5 letters of my email...
  8. i had the app downloaded but had to uninstall it because it wouldnt open and when i try to...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    i had the app downloaded but had to uninstall it because it wouldnt open and when i try to...: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/MachoMane_ [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/j3l7jp/i_had_the_app_downloaded_but_had_to_uninstall_it/
  9. Had to factory reset my laptop because it was low on space and was very slow

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Had to factory reset my laptop because it was low on space and was very slow: My old RCA computer is very, very slow and my storage was only at a couple gigs free. I decided to use the weapon of last resort - I was forced to factory reset my PC entirely, erasing all apps and files currently on there. I didn't want to do it, but it just had to be done...
  10. Issue Had This Morning

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Issue Had This Morning: This Morning woke up, got started on computer Then BSOD occured Process Has locked Pages Followed directions from another site on checking system, sfc /scannow ran, dism online cleanup image/restore health, then chkdsk on D drive, and then somehow all the files was gone...