Windows 10: I had to reset my computer. Can I reinstall windows 10

Discus and support I had to reset my computer. Can I reinstall windows 10 in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I had to reset my computer. Can I reinstall windows 10... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Vera Oakman, Sep 10, 2018.

1. I had to reset my computer. Can I reinstall windows 10

I had to reset my computer. Can I reinstall windows 10

:)

Vera Oakman, Sep 10, 2018

2. How to reinstall Windows 10 if my computers used the free upgrade from 7 and 8?

Will windows 10 still accept the license keys from 7 and 8 now if I reinstall my computer?

Does Microsoft keep a list of users who upgraded to Win 10 using their 7 and 8 keys so that when users need to reinstall windows 10 the old keys would work?

Do I need to call in Microsoft to ask them to activate my Windows 10 when I give them my win 7 keys?

Both computers are laptops. The windows 7 machine had the serial printed on the back, and I needed to enter that when I upgraded to 10. The windows 8 machine had the serial built in inside its boot system so I didn't need to enter the key when I upgraded to 10, but I did manage to write down the keys using a fetcher program.

JebusPrime, Nov 27, 2018
  3. MrGenius Win User
    [Solved] Windows 10 keeps reinstalling KB3119142

I noticed quite some time ago that KB3119142 (Update for Microsoft Visual C++ 2012 Update 4 Redistributable Package) kept reinstalling itself for some reason. At least once daily. Sometimes up to several times a day. I just ignored it. It didn't seem to be doing any harm. And I figured they'd eventually fix it. Well...days turned into weeks, weeks into months, with no end to the problem in sight. It dragged on unsolved for at least the last few months. Literally reinstalling itself hundreds of(at least a hundred, felt like more) times in that period of time.

So I finally googled it a couple days ago. And just got around to fixing it today. Which appears to have worked. And it couldn't have been easier to do. I feel so stupid to have let it intimidate me for so long.*Oops! I had to reset my computer. Can I reinstall windows 10 :oops:
    Below are links to the thread that I got the fix idea from, and the official MS support info page for KB3119142(from which I quoted the above).
    http://www.tenforums.com/windows-up...-windows-10-keeps-reinstalling-kb3119142.html
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3119142

MrGenius, Nov 27, 2018
  4. Kursah Win User

Most painless way to reinstall windows 10?

It depends on the junk accumulated honestly, but there are various methods. You can always remove programs, delete download folder, media locations, etc. As some have suggested, keeping some items on a separate internal storage drive is an option as well. Depends on what you have, what your budget is and how you want to handle your system and data.

The method @RejZoR suggests is sound and a method I've used dozens if not hundreds of time with great success in the field. In many cases though the goal is to keep user data intact, and to repair the OS. In place upgrade as it is called is also only doable in that method if you can boot to desktop, if you can't, it is time for some more advanced options or a format & reinstall.

With Windows 8 and 10 there are refresh and reset options that can be leveraged as well. Hold Shift and click Restart to reboot your system, this will get you into the advanced boot menu, which you'll need to choose advanced options (I forget ATM what it is called) and choose one of a couple items, refresh or reset.

Refresh is essentially In Place Upgrade but a little more aggressive as it wipes the Windows Apps and you may need to reinstall programs. Reset is like an OS reinstall, wipes user data, wipes profiles, registry, performs a install from the system image. Often times I'll do this and bypass using a USB key on a system. Though there are instances where these options will not work if a system has a level of corruption that has not been repaired/resolved. Check the OS Repair link in my sig for more info if ya need.

*Toast :toast:

Kursah, Nov 27, 2018
Thema:

1. I had to reset my computer. Can I reinstall windows 10 - Similar Threads - reset computer reinstall

2. Can't reinstall windows 10 i bought to my reset computer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't reinstall windows 10 i bought to my reset computer: I ordered windows 10 in August of 2021 and installed it on my computer from the email link they sent me. I recently had my computer mess up so bad out of the blue, that I had to reset it completely. I now need to reinstall the windows 10 but when I try to used the file from...
  3. Can't reinstall windows 10 i bought to my reset computer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't reinstall windows 10 i bought to my reset computer: I ordered windows 10 in August of 2021 and installed it on my computer from the email link they sent me. I recently had my computer mess up so bad out of the blue, that I had to reset it completely. I now need to reinstall the windows 10 but when I try to used the file from...
  4. Can't reinstall windows 10 i bought to my reset computer

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. I had a power outage while I was resetting my computer.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I had a power outage while I was resetting my computer.: My power went out while factory resetting my computer and I can’t do anything on it now. My wallpaper is all black, my taskbar is all white with no applications on it and I am unable to open my search. When I boot it up, I see the Welcome screen for 10+ minutes and I have...
  6. I had a power outage while I was resetting my computer.

I had a power outage while I was resetting my computer.: My power went out while factory resetting my computer and I can’t do anything on it now. My wallpaper is all black, my taskbar is all white with no applications on it and I am unable to open my search. When I boot it up, I see the Welcome screen for 10+ minutes and I have...
  7. I had minecraft on my computer. I had to factory reset my computer.

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    I had minecraft on my computer. I had to factory reset my computer.: Now minecraft isn't showing up in my library or under my purchases please help! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-had-minecraft-on-my-computer-i-had-to-factory/82edb4e1-694e-4a9e-a0f2-cd3450c09434
  8. I had to reinstall windows

I had to reinstall windows: How do I reinstall the built in HP apps? I'm really scared that I won't be able to. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-had-to-reinstall-windows/0b9cde2f-a34a-40a1-8599-0d58c99f8bd3
  9. I had a problem resetting my computer.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    I had a problem resetting my computer.: I tried to fully reset my PC, it took about 16 hours to reach 99% and after 5 hours at 99% I tried to power it off and on again. It was trying to install windows on a blue screen and after 30 minutes at 5% I powered it off again and now my PC restarts, shows an error saying...
  10. i had to reset my computer and it reinstalled windows 8.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    i had to reset my computer and it reinstalled windows 8.: i had to reset my computer and it reinstall windows 8. How do i get back to Windows 10 Build 1607? i was one of the firstpeople to download and use Windows 10, becauise of its size and running effeciency comparisions to Windows XP. i believe i had the update(beta maybe...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. i had windows 10 but had to restore computer