Windows 10: I have 16GB of RAM installed, yet windows only utilizes 7.95GB of it.

Discus and support I have 16GB of RAM installed, yet windows only utilizes 7.95GB of it. in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have read over a related question thread here:... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by SweatyChungus42, Aug 7, 2020.

1. I have 16GB of RAM installed, yet windows only utilizes 7.95GB of it.

I have read over a related question thread here:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...c6d-e053-4979-91fb-14cba3fee54b?auth=1&page=1

My problem is nearly exactly the same as theirs. I have an 8 GB stick installed in slots 2 and 4 on my motherboard. 4 slots total. If it helps, I will leave my specs listed below. On the link I posted above, that person's issue has been resolved. I don't completely understand the steps to fixing it just from that thread of comments, but I have followed several very in-depth tutorials into fixing this, none of which were a success. My MSI BIOS recognizes the rams speed and capacity flawlessly, leading me to believe there is an issue with the way Windows is reading it. I cannot afford to try and wipe my drives or completely reinstall Windows 10.

Here are two screenshots. One of my basic specs, and one of my task manager memory:

I have 16GB of RAM installed, yet windows only utilizes 7.95GB of it. 8ebd4e42-31e7-45f5-a239-7a6859d14f7d?upload=true.png I have 16GB of RAM installed, yet windows only utilizes 7.95GB of it. 501ee248-363e-426c-b8d7-50a82853fee0?upload=true.png

Additional specs include an MSI 1660.

:)

SweatyChungus42, Aug 7, 2020
  2. Lithian Win User

I have 16GB of RAM that is detected on my system but only 7.95GB is usable.

Hello. It has been a while but I was finally able to get my hands on a flash drive and update my BIOS successfully to the latest version. I checked if my PC was using all 16GBs of RAM after the update, but it still isnt using it all. It seems that the RAM
    is being reserved for hardware. How would I make it so that I can use the RAM instead of it being used for hardware. (I am aware that I have to keep some of it reserved for hardware). I am starting to think that solution 2 in that link is the answer to my
    problem. The BIOS is probably keeping too much RAM reserved for hardware. The thing is, ever since the update to my BIOS, I cant access the BIOS settings. I press Delete multiple time on the startup screen to enter BIOS settings, and I can't access it for
    some reason.

I have 16GB of RAM installed, yet windows only utilizes 7.95GB of it. 22b55f47-c790-48d8-a7be-5b82271f0603?upload=true.jpg

Lithian, Aug 7, 2020
  3. windows xp installation and dual core am

could someone please list the steps they follow to install windows with a dual core processor and windows xp service pack to. I'm reletively new to amd dual core and i feel i'm missing a step. All help will be appreciated. thanx

exodusprime1337, Aug 7, 2020
  4. ronkolda Win User

I have 16GB of RAM installed, yet windows only utilizes 7.95GB of it.

Upgrading RAM to 12GB or 16GB?

Hi everyone:

I have this machine:

Intel DB75EN...........it has 8GB of DDR3 RAM..... it's an older i5-2400 at 3ghz.

I acidentally (nice) discovered there's still a chance to improve RAM...I can't buy or afford a newer PC.

Amazon has Crucial DDR3 and they fit my machine in the specs checker they have.

I recently added an Crucial SSD and have Windows 10 installed there. It boots better and folders open faster than the HDD.

However, apps aren't faster at all. Just Windows.

The machine has 2 sticks of 4GB installed which make the 8GB. Going from 8GB to 12GB........will it make a difference?

Or it's better to go to 16GB?.

If I could I would to go to 32GB.......the machine specs says it supports up to 32GB RAM (however I can't afford it), since they're DDR3, they are older and are NOT cheap. I can only afford up to 16GB.

Should I make the effort to get 16GB or will 12GB be good?

Thanks so much for your suggestions.

ronkolda, Aug 7, 2020
Thema:

I have 16GB of RAM installed, yet windows only utilizes 7.95GB of it.

1. I have 16GB of RAM installed, yet windows only utilizes 7.95GB of it. - Similar Threads - 16GB RAM installed

2. 16GB of RAM but only 5GB is usable?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    16GB of RAM but only 5GB is usable?: I have upgraded my ram in my windows 11 HP laptop from 8GB to 16GB. Recently I noticed that things are getting slower. When I checked in task manager, this is what it shows. It detects 16GB of RAM, but in the left hand side in the RAM tab you can see it shows 4.x GB/5.00GB....
  3. I have 16gb ram, but only 8gb is available?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I have 16gb ram, but only 8gb is available?: I have an omen 17 laptop from 2019 I believe with 16gb ram and since I upgraded to windows 11 my task manager is only showing that I have 8 gb of ram. the problem seems to come and go randomly....
  4. I have 16gb ram, but only 8gb is available?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I have 16gb ram, but only 8gb is available?: I have an omen 17 laptop from 2019 I believe with 16gb ram and since I upgraded to windows 11 my task manager is only showing that I have 8 gb of ram. the problem seems to come and go randomly....
  5. 16gb ram but only 7.93gb

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    16gb ram but only 7.93gb: I have a 16gb ram and windows shows 2x8 but in the control panel it shows that 16gb 7.93 usable I tried everything but it didn't work I noticed that the rest of the frame is used by HARDWARE RESERVED 8.1gb usable so the "hardware reserved" frame would be used by someone...
  6. Why can I only use 8GB of Ram when I have 16GB installed?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Why can I only use 8GB of Ram when I have 16GB installed?: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/Arty_Fox [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/jwdrtb/why_can_i_only_use_8gb_of_ram_when_i_have_16gb/
  7. I have 16gb Ram installed but I only have 7.95 usable. But my bios sees the whole 16gb but...

in Windows 10 Customization
    I have 16gb Ram installed but I only have 7.95 usable. But my bios sees the whole 16gb but...: Please can someone help https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-have-16gb-ram-installed-but-i-only-have-795/90430163-0e1d-444a-9e6c-49d2a57b047f
  8. I have 32GB of RAM. My computer only recognizes 16GB of it.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    I have 32GB of RAM. My computer only recognizes 16GB of it.: I'm running Windows 10, version 1903 (OS Build 18362.592), and have four 8GB sticks of RAM installed. My computer has been working well for years. Today, while using the computer, it crashed, giving the 'Memory Manager' error code. I reseated my RAM, and it seemed to have...
  9. 16GB RAM, only 8GB usable

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    16GB RAM, only 8GB usable: [ATTACH] I'm new to these PC things so I'm sorry for the dumb question. I just got a gaming PC as a gift for christmas, and I checked everything (updates, etc.) and it seems everything was fine, until I checked the RAM, it says 16GB installed but only 7.95 GB usable, it...
  10. Only 7.93GB of 16GB of installed Ram available?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Only 7.93GB of 16GB of installed Ram available?: System Summary says only 4.13GB total physical memory. It is making it impossible to game. I ran the memory diagnostic tool and no problems were found. On Memtest86, the following error was the only one found: Unexpected Interrupt - Halting CPU0 Specs: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7...