Windows 10: I have 2 identical "windows" folders both with EXACTLY THE SAME DUPLICATED CONTENT one in...

Discus and support I have 2 identical "windows" folders both with EXACTLY THE SAME DUPLICATED CONTENT one in... in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Appeared after a forced update to windows 10 version 2004. Computer has been ungodly slow since the update, stuff is freezing and "not responding"... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by SebastienLevesque, Oct 3, 2020.

1. I have 2 identical "windows" folders both with EXACTLY THE SAME DUPLICATED CONTENT one in...

Appeared after a forced update to windows 10 version 2004. Computer has been ungodly slow since the update, stuff is freezing and "not responding" constantly. Games can no longer run on steady fps. All this after the update to 2004. Could it be because of this duplicate windows folder?

:)

SebastienLevesque, Oct 3, 2020

2. File Explorer is showing a folder and its contents twice. How do I fix?

If the problem persists after trying the suggested restart, compare the
    Properties
    dialog for the duplicates.

Open each folder in Explorer, the Shift+right-click in the background & select Open PowerShell window here. Do the prompts display identical paths? Does excuting the command 'gci' list the same contents?

Keith

Keith A. Miller, Oct 3, 2020
  3. Duplicate File Directories & Their Contents

I just noticed that several directories in my documents folder have been duplicated exactly including the contents. I have tried to delete these duplicate directories but then my shortcuts no longer work. The backup that I made just 2 days ago does not have these duplicates.

I have 2 identical "windows" folders both with EXACTLY THE SAME DUPLICATED CONTENT one in... [​IMG]

How can I fix this?

Thanks,
    AK

alkaufmann, Oct 3, 2020
  4. I have 2 identical "windows" folders both with EXACTLY THE SAME DUPLICATED CONTENT one in...

Duplicate Public Folders

Hope this helps someone identify the problem.

• Q: What happens when you delete the duplicate folders?
    • A: Nothing. They're successfully deleted.

• Q: Does it happen to all of your folders or only those with pictures?
      • A: Only the default Public Folders (Documents, Pictures, Music, Videos).
      • A: All of the Public Folders have customized folder icons.
      • A: The above image shows yellow, empty folder icons (duplicates).

• Q: Any steps you've tried to troubleshoot this issue?
      • Actually, this has been a problem since Windows 7.
      • What I noticed then is that certain Windows programs created the duplicates:
        • Windows Media Player (stopped using)
        • Internet Explorer (stopped using)
        • Plus others, which I can't recall.
      • Only certain programs for Windows 10, as well:
        • Microsoft Edge (don't use it often)
        • Groove Music (never intentionally use it)
        • Plus others, which I haven't tracked.
          • I only notice it when I go to Public Folders.
          • By then, I've long since forgotten what was accessed.
      • I've googled for answers but most of those only address
        moving the Public Folders to another Drive.

PQSC.Programmer, Oct 3, 2020
Thema:

I have 2 identical "windows" folders both with EXACTLY THE SAME DUPLICATED CONTENT one in...

1. I have 2 identical "windows" folders both with EXACTLY THE SAME DUPLICATED CONTENT one in... - Similar Threads - identical folders both

2. 2 Startup folders with the exact same name in the same name

in Windows 10 Gaming
    2 Startup folders with the exact same name in the same name: i have 2 startup folders in the same folder for some unknown to me reason. When i put in "shells:startup" in Run it opens up a startup folder thats read only and its empty whenever i try to change it to not be read only it just reapplies after the properties window closes...
  3. 2 Startup folders with the exact same name in the same name

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    2 Startup folders with the exact same name in the same name: i have 2 startup folders in the same folder for some unknown to me reason. When i put in "shells:startup" in Run it opens up a startup folder thats read only and its empty whenever i try to change it to not be read only it just reapplies after the properties window closes...
  4. D:\ showing as a folder and Data D: showing as a Drive both have same contents

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    D:\ showing as a folder and Data D: showing as a Drive both have same contents: Hi, I transferred my documents to Data D: and that show as a drive on my Dell laptop, but those same files are showing as a Folder D:\. How do I safely get rid of the D:\ folder?...
  5. D:\ showing as a folder and Data D: showing as a Drive both have same contents

in Windows 10 Gaming
    D:\ showing as a folder and Data D: showing as a Drive both have same contents: Hi, I transferred my documents to Data D: and that show as a drive on my Dell laptop, but those same files are showing as a Folder D:\. How do I safely get rid of the D:\ folder?...
  6. 2 computers, do both have to have the same version of windows?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    2 computers, do both have to have the same version of windows?: I have 2 computers,1 desk top and 1 laptop and they share files. The laptop is compatible to windows 11 but not the desk top yet, it will need some work in the future. Does both computers need to be on the same version of windows to share files stored in the cloud or not?...
  7. Who to have the same exact task bars on both monitors.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Who to have the same exact task bars on both monitors.: So I have two monitors hooked up to my computer and I want the task bar the to be the same. Right now on the second monitor it doesn't show mail, sound settings, connection settings, and the type to search bar is collapsed. It there any way to make them the exact same. The...
  8. 2 identical Files installed and 2 differents content....

in Windows 10 Customization
    2 identical Files installed and 2 differents content....: First of all, I am french so, sorry for mistakes, I just bought i new laptop with windows 10 and I had a problem with my different windows users .So I just finished erasing everything and now its a new one! So here is my problem. It seems that i dont see all files when i...
  9. Two folders with exactly the same name, location but different contents and subfolders

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Two folders with exactly the same name, location but different contents and subfolders: Hi, I don't know how this happened, but somehow I have two folders with the same name, same address/location but entirely different contents. [ATTACH] Because of this Windows completely bugs out when you try to move either of these folders. I can change the contents...
  10. Two Instances of OneDrive, Both Exactly the Same

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Two Instances of OneDrive, Both Exactly the Same: I bought a new PC and it came with a two partitions already set up: one (C Drive) ~100gigs for Windows 10, and one (D Drive) ~1.9 TB. When setting up OneDrive, I set it up so that files would be synced to the D rather than C drive. However, I now have two instances, exactly...