Windows 10: I have 2 question's about win 10 home

Discus and support I have 2 question's about win 10 home in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; This is about an Asus model X541N laptop OS win 10 Home 64bit that I up for free from a pawn shop owner that I know. He couldn't get the previous... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by reble, Nov 20, 2018.

1. reble Win User

I have 2 question's about win 10 home

This is about an Asus model X541N laptop OS win 10 Home 64bit that I up for free from a pawn shop owner that I know. He couldn't get the previous owner's Microsoft account off the laptop and he can't sell the laptop without the previous owner's account removed. It was a simple job to remove the previous owner's account.
    But I have 1 problem. In the bios I can't get the laptop to see the onboard optical drive, like if I have to put in a self booting cd or a dvd. The laptop only sees the hard drive in the bios so I can't change the boot order to boot off a cd/dvd. Windows sees the optical drive just fine. But the bios don't. This came about because forgot the Windows password. I have a self booting Windows password recovery prog that works on any Windows from XP to Win 10. I was tearing my hair out because I couldn't get the bios to see the optical drive. I finely found the paper that I wrote the password on.
    Whtch leads me to my 2nd question. How do I make a password recovery cd? I found instructions for Win 10 to make a self booting USB thumb drive or a self boot SD card. But not for a cd disk. This laptop doesn't have a SD card reader and I don't have any small USB thumb drives to do it on.
    ooooo 1 more question. When I left click on the Windows icon on the lower left and those 2 groups of icons popup. How do I get rid of the groups? I am used to win 7 Home. Win 10 is different and new to me.

Steve

:)

reble, Nov 20, 2018
  2. Mohan B P Win User

3 questions for Windows 10

Hi,

I realize the issue you are facing with the desktop.

As you have multiple issues with the desktop, let me assist you with the issues one by one.

Question 1:

I suggest you to follow the steps below and check if it helps:

• On the Desktop, right-click on an empty space.

• In the drop down options, select
      View.

• Uncheck the option: Auto arrange icons.
    Question 2:

The information provided in question 2 is not clear, so kindly answer the below question;

• About which “favorites” you are talking about
      (EDGE or WINDOWS EXPLORER or INTERNET EXPLORER)?
    Question 3:

I suggest you to refer the below link to change Adobe to open PDF files instead of Edge and check if it helps:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/change-default-programs-in-windows-10

I hope the given information is helpful. Kindly write back to us for further assistance on Windows 10.

Thank you.

Mohan B P, Nov 20, 2018
  3. Local account installation question

I'm fairly certain that Skip this step was available in 10.0.130 - the workaround in Step 20 (back button) is no longer required.

The currently known, as of 10.0.130, ways to create a Local account sign-in are
    • Skip this step at the MS account creation phase
    • No Internet connection during the install
    • static IP (post# 2 by Fragment) - New (to me anyway)

Slartybart, Nov 20, 2018
  4. I have 2 question's about win 10 home

win 10 update leaves vertical pink line on screen

today i applied latest win 10 update and now i have a vertical pink line on screen, it remains on every screen. i have tried these fixes

Step 1: I suggest you to run SFC scan,
    System File Checkeris a utility in Windows that allows users to scan for corruptions in Windows system files and restore corrupted files.

Follow the below steps:

• Right click on the Start button, click on
      Command Prompt (Admin).
    • Type “sfc /scannow” without the quotes and hit
      Enter.
    • After the scan, restart the computer and check for the issue.
    Step 2: Also, I suggest you to update the display drivers and check.

Steps to Update the Display Adapter driver.

• Press Windows key + Xkey when you are at desktop.
    • Select Device Manager.
    • Expand Display Adapter.
    • Right on the Display Adapter and click on
      Update driver software
    BUT i still have the line on screen.

tinacaston, Nov 20, 2018
Thema:

I have 2 question's about win 10 home

1. I have 2 question's about win 10 home - Similar Threads - question's home

2. Warranty question regarding upgrading windows from home to professional.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Warranty question regarding upgrading windows from home to professional.: Hi,If i want to buy a product key from bitcodes.co that allows me to go from windows home to windows pro, will the warranty be voided?https://bitcodes.co/product/windows-11-pro-retail-key/...
  3. Warranty question regarding upgrading windows from home to professional.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Warranty question regarding upgrading windows from home to professional.: Hi,If i want to buy a product key from bitcodes.co that allows me to go from windows home to windows pro, will the warranty be voided?https://bitcodes.co/product/windows-11-pro-retail-key/...
  4. I have some question regarding windows 11 pro and home.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I have some question regarding windows 11 pro and home.: I have home license but want to buy a pro to try out hyperv. Apart from paying some extra cash, is there any drawback windows 11 pro has over home? I am concerned with performance and specially battery life. It will be for personal use tbh. So want to know if there is any...
  5. I have some question regarding windows 11 pro and home.

I have some question regarding windows 11 pro and home.: I have home license but want to buy a pro to try out hyperv. Apart from paying some extra cash, is there any drawback windows 11 pro has over home? I am concerned with performance and specially battery life. It will be for personal use tbh. So want to know if there is any...
  6. I cannot get Word to work at home computer. I also have billing questions.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I cannot get Word to work at home computer. I also have billing questions.: Hello, I have several issues that I need to discuss. My email at *** Email address is removed for privacy *** is no longer working. My current email address is *** Email address is removed for privacy *** reply to the latter. I have Microsoft products at home and pay for them...
  7. I cannot get Word to work at home computer. I also have billing questions.

I cannot get Word to work at home computer. I also have billing questions.: Hello, I have several issues that I need to discuss. My email at *** Email address is removed for privacy *** is no longer working. My current email address is *** Email address is removed for privacy *** reply to the latter. I have Microsoft products at home and pay for them...
  8. Question About Switching From HOME OEM to PRO RETAIL for Windows 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Question About Switching From HOME OEM to PRO RETAIL for Windows 10: Hi, my question is that I have Windows 10 Home OEM on my laptop but I want to switch to Windows 10 Pro Retail licensed. Do I need to reinstall Windows so I can use my retail licensed key or can I just put the key on the Settings>Activation>Change product key? Also, I do not...
  9. Question About Switching From HOME OEM to PRO RETAIL for Windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Question About Switching From HOME OEM to PRO RETAIL for Windows 10: Hi, my question is that I have Windows 10 Home OEM on my laptop but I want to switch to Windows 10 Pro Retail licensed. Do I need to reinstall Windows so I can use my retail licensed key or can I just put the key on the Settings>Activation>Change product key? Also, I do not...
  10. Question About Switching From HOME OEM to PRO RETAIL for Windows 10