Windows 10: I have 4 questions (for now!) before I take the plunge and upgrade.

Discus and support I have 4 questions (for now!) before I take the plunge and upgrade. in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Windows 7 Professional Version 6.1(Build 7601: Service Pack 1) I've put it off as long as I can and am now preparing to upgrade in-place from Win7 Pro... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by EdieShack, Jun 16, 2020.

1. EdieShack Win User

I have 4 questions (for now!) before I take the plunge and upgrade.

Windows 7 Professional Version 6.1(Build 7601: Service Pack 1)

I've put it off as long as I can and am now preparing to upgrade in-place from Win7 Pro to Win10 Pro. I've migrated my C drive to a bigger SSD (500GB from 125GB). I also have large programs and games on a 250 GB SSD and a 1 TB HDD. I've moved my data to a nice new 4TB HHD.

I've backed up all my files to external drives, collected W10 drivers, and I have both WIB and Paragon disk images. I've read tutorials and a lot of other threads, but I'd really appreciate WindowsTenForums thoughts on the following:

1) Do I need to increase the size of my System Reserved partition (currently is 100MB, 68% free) proactively before attempting the upgrade, or only if I run into issues?

2) With an in-place upgrade (keeping files and apps) what does Windows do about programs I have installed on other drives? If I disconnect all drives except C as advised, how will Windows10 deal with programs installed on the other drives when I reconnect them?

3) Am I better off upgrading directly from the Microsoft site which offers Win10_2004, or using an older version and if so, which version is preferred?

4) My Windows 7 Pro is running both 32 bit and 64 bit and I have programs installed on both. Will Windows 10 give me both, or only 64 bit? If so am I no longer able to run those legacy programs?

These are the questions keeping me up at night!

Thanks to anyone who can help out with any of them.

:)

EdieShack, Jun 16, 2020
  2. swarfega Win User

preparing to upgrade

You can try following this guide. I suggest either step 4 or step 7.

swarfega, Jun 16, 2020
  3. mandelore Win User
    Thinking of a CPU upgrade 4 939 socket

there I go.. took the plunge and got an opty 185. It BETTER be a damn good stepping hehehe coz i wanna see some benchies set ablaze compared to my sandy *Smile I have 4 questions (for now!) before I take the plunge and upgrade. :)

mandelore, Jun 16, 2020
  4. Sasqui Win User

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas (& Upgrade!)

Dear Santa,

I want to upgrade my primary PC this year, my MB/CPU is almost 5 years old now, and I've got the upgrade itch.

It's going to be built around an unlocked Ivy Bridge CPU, namely the 3770k

But first, I've got a few questions for you:

• What chipsets support that CPU? I think the X79 and X77?
    • Is the 3770k going to be replaced with a better model, better stepping, etc in 2012 or early 2013?
    Oh and is the world going to end in Dec 2012?

Thx,
    Little Johnny

Sasqui, Jun 16, 2020
Thema:

1. I have 4 questions (for now!) before I take the plunge and upgrade. - Similar Threads - questions before plunge

2. Questions before upgrading to Windows 11.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Questions before upgrading to Windows 11.: Good morning,I'm considering upgrading to Windows 11, but I had a few clarifying questions first:- Is Microsoft still following the horrible business practice of putting ads into the operating system?- Is Microsoft still following the horrible business practice of forcing...
  3. Questions before upgrading to Windows 11.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Questions before upgrading to Windows 11.: Good morning,I'm considering upgrading to Windows 11, but I had a few clarifying questions first:- Is Microsoft still following the horrible business practice of putting ads into the operating system?- Is Microsoft still following the horrible business practice of forcing...
  4. I Have NEVER Seen This Issue Before, Until Now...

in Windows 10 Support
    I Have NEVER Seen This Issue Before, Until Now...: Well guys, this is officially my first post here. I feel like my attempts for getting help with this issue are starting to get a little desperate, but I had posted on 3 other forums about & still haven't yet heard ANYTHING back. :/ But I figure I could try here & see if...
  5. Licensing Question - Before I Buy

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Licensing Question - Before I Buy: It's unclear to me exactly how the licensing works with my product key if I purchase Windows 10. 1: Will I be able to install and use my product key on both my desktop and laptop without restriction? 2: Will I have to purchase another product key when I decide or have...
  6. Question before upgrading

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Question before upgrading: On a spare hard drive I have, I Installed 7 Pro 64Bit w/SP1. How, if possible, do I upgrade to 10 w/o having to download all the Telemetry KB updates? 57376
  7. RAID 1 question before upgrading

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    RAID 1 question before upgrading: Hi folks, I'm a W7 Pro user, and I'm finally thinking to get the update to W10. Question: at the moment I've a RAID 1 set up; will it still be available after the update and/or after I do a clean install of W10? Thank you 33551
  8. Taking the plunge - 10 as main OS.

in Windows 10 Support
    Taking the plunge - 10 as main OS.: I figure it's time for a little change. Also, I don't actually work off of my main machine. I have a company supplied laptop for that. All I do with my main machine is manage my home affairs, files, occasionally game, watch Netflix, etc... The only way to truly tell if...
  9. Upgrading today, few questions before I do so

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Upgrading today, few questions before I do so: Right now I have Win7 Ultimate 64-bit. Last time I tried to upgrade to Win10 it couldn't verify my license key, and I kinda figured its due to how legit my key is. I may or may not have bought it and it may or may not be from "the bay". Anyway, my plan is to buy a Win7...
  10. I took the plunge.. Win10 Preview as a primary..

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    I took the plunge.. Win10 Preview as a primary..: I tried it out in VM and it worked so I just loaded it as my primary! Here's a screen shot of it so far: [img] The limited testing has gone fine. 1. ClassicShell works fine but I turned it off. 2. I love the new Start .. More to follow.. Jeff *Wink 2003