Windows 10: I have 4GB ram but the space available to me is just 1.6 without Opening any Applications...

Discus and support I have 4GB ram but the space available to me is just 1.6 without Opening any Applications... in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hello everybody . I have a Laptop with 4gb ram, but after booting the space available for me to use is just 1.6 GB. I don't have any startup apps... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Abie_2467, Nov 11, 2020.

1. Abie_2467 Win User

I have 4GB ram but the space available to me is just 1.6 without Opening any Applications...

Hello everybody .
    I have a Laptop with 4gb ram, but after booting the space available for me to use is just 1.6 GB.
    I don't have any startup apps open except audio drivers and windows defender .
    So basically when I noticed the task manager and got the sum of all the processes , it was just below 800Mb - 500 Mb , so without opening any apps after booting my memory goes above 57% .
    I really don't know how does the memory percentage go above 2GB if the processes are just taking below 800 MB.
    The saddest thing is that I cant Animate smoothly , I need lot of things to be open that time but my ram wont allow me to do that .

Here a small screenshot But with apps open
    I have 4GB ram but the space available to me is just 1.6 without Opening any Applications... 942f4674-7450-4ec2-a754-639ae3101842?upload=true.png

:)

Abie_2467, Nov 11, 2020
  2. prashii Win User

Windows shows 8GB RAM installed but 4GB RAM is usable

Hi There,

I've just upgraded my pc from 4GB RAM to 8GB RAM. Windows seems to have detected this upgrade but why does it show as only 4GB RAM available. The following is what I have tried so far with no luck:

• I have tried the msconfig method on ensuring maximum memory is not checked.
    • physically removed the new RAM and reinstalled it
    Any thoughts/suggestions on how i can resolve this matter?

Thanks

prashii, Nov 11, 2020
  3. 1.71gb Usable RAM of 4gb

Hi Faizz,

I realize that your pc is showing 1.71 GB usable RAM of 4GB. I will try to help you with this issue.

All 32-bit client versions of Windows have a 4GB address space (64-bit versions can use much more). That's the theoretical upper limit beyond which you cannot go.

But you can't use the entire 4GB of address space. Even though you have a 4GB address space, you can only use *around* 3.1GB of RAM. That's because some of that space is used by hardware and is not available to the operating system and applications.
    The amount you can use varies, depending on what hardware you have installed, but can range from as little as 2GB to as much as 3.5GB. It's usually around 3.1GB, and you are very close to that.

Note that the hardware is using the address *space*, not the actual RAM itself. If you have a greater amount of RAM, the rest of the RAM goes unused because there is no address space to map it to.

If you're using a 32-bit version of Windows, the amount of usable memory might be less than the total amount of memory installed. PAE enables 32-bit processors to access more than 4 GB of physical memory on capable versions of Windows and is
    a prerequisite for NX.

Keep us informed to help you further.

Srimadhwa B, Nov 11, 2020
  4. Ken Blake Win User

I have 4GB ram but the space available to me is just 1.6 without Opening any Applications...

Ram is not available.

You are running 32-bit Windows.

Nothing is wrong and there's nothing to fix.
    All 32-bit client versions of Windows (not just XP/Vista/7/8/10) have a
    4GB address space (64-bit versions can use much more). That's the
    theoretical upper limit beyond which you can not go.

But you can't use the entire address space. Even though you have a 4GB address space, most people can only use *around* 3.1GB of RAM. That's because some of that space is used by hardware and is not available to the operating system and applications.
    The amount you can
    use varies, depending on what hardware you have installed, but can range from as little as 2GB to as much as 3.5GB. It's usually around 3.1GB.

Note that the hardware is using the address *space*, not the actual RAM itself. If you have a greater amount of RAM, the rest of the RAM goes unused because there is no address space to map it to.

Ken Blake, Nov 11, 2020
Thema:

1. I have 4GB ram but the space available to me is just 1.6 without Opening any Applications... - Similar Threads - 4GB ram space

2. Help,i have 2 modules of ram,1 of 8gb and 1 of 4gb,but the 8gb module is splited in half4gb...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Help,i have 2 modules of ram,1 of 8gb and 1 of 4gb,but the 8gb module is splited in half4gb...: It shows me i have 8 gb of ram,i tried getting the 4gb ram out,to see if it s malfunctioning,but after i took it out i had 4 gb of ram,i mean i think the 8gb ram stick is malfunctioning,beacuase i have 8 gb ram,instead of 12...
  3. Help,i have 2 modules of ram,1 of 8gb and 1 of 4gb,but the 8gb module is splited in half4gb...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Help,i have 2 modules of ram,1 of 8gb and 1 of 4gb,but the 8gb module is splited in half4gb...: It shows me i have 8 gb of ram,i tried getting the 4gb ram out,to see if it s malfunctioning,but after i took it out i had 4 gb of ram,i mean i think the 8gb ram stick is malfunctioning,beacuase i have 8 gb ram,instead of 12...
  4. Help,i have 2 modules of ram,1 of 8gb and 1 of 4gb,but the 8gb module is splited in half4gb...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Very high ram even i not open any application

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Very high ram even i not open any application: My laptop ram is 8GB, and my ram 80% full even i not open any application, so i decided to reset my pc with local reinstall and remove all, when the reset complete, the problem still same, i dont have any antivirus installed, im windows 10 but upgraded to windows 11 user...
  6. Very high ram even i not open any application

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Very high ram even i not open any application: My laptop ram is 8GB, and my ram 80% full even i not open any application, so i decided to reset my pc with local reinstall and remove all, when the reset complete, the problem still same, i dont have any antivirus installed, im windows 10 but upgraded to windows 11 user...
  7. Is there any way to open applications without having 2 icons for that application displayed...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Is there any way to open applications without having 2 icons for that application displayed...: [IMG] submitted by /u/Mintysm64 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/mk6an4/is_there_any_way_to_open_applications_without/
  8. Pc uses to much ram without having any program open.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Pc uses to much ram without having any program open.: Like the title says my system has 16gbs of ram, and i've recently had bluescreen problems. When i first upgraded my ram from 8 to 16gbs, my system used about 18% of available ram. Now after the system has booted up everything, the ram usages is at 22%. Not a huge deal i know...
  9. I have 8GB of RAM but only showing 4GB

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    I have 8GB of RAM but only showing 4GB: I have had my PC for about a month now and I have noticed my game felt choppy but I was still getting 180fps like usual. I checked nvidia and it was all fine so I checked how much memory I was using and it says 3.7 of 4GB. I still have both 4GB RAM sticks in but one isn't...
  10. System not detecting slot 1 with 4GB RAM.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    System not detecting slot 1 with 4GB RAM.: Hi, My laptop came installed with a 4GB RAM in slot2. The other slot has been free. Today I bought another 4GB module with same specifications and after inserting to slot1, it did not get detected. I swapped the modules, and the new RAM is functioning perfectly. However,...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. showing 4gb but 1.6gb usable

2. installed memory(RAM) is 4GB and why is the Usable says for 1.6GB RAM

3. I have 4gb ram but only 1.6gb usable

4. 4gb ram but only 1.6 usable