Windows 10: I have a corrupted hard drive with data on it

Discus and support I have a corrupted hard drive with data on it in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I took the internal drive from my old computer and connected it to my new computer via USB. I believe I mistakenly removed the USB before safely... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/dgodfrey95, Jun 27, 2020.

1. I have a corrupted hard drive with data on it

I took the internal drive from my old computer and connected it to my new computer via USB. I believe I mistakenly removed the USB before safely removing it. The next time I used it Windows said that the hard drive needs repairing. So I make it repair and it's been going for a day. The screen says:

Fixing (DI have a corrupted hard drive with data on it :) Stage 1: 9% (66765 of 691979); Total: 3%; ETA: 768:79:46

It's repairing very slowly and I think it will take a month before it finishes. It's an 80gig hard drive.

I can't wait a month for it to finish. I get that it's going to be corrupted even more if I stop it. Is there some way to still recover the data after I stop it?

I only need a small piece of data from the drive.

submitted by /u/dgodfrey95
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/dgodfrey95, Jun 27, 2020
  2. photonboy Win User

Corrupt Hard Drive! URGENT!!

DATA CORRUPTION MAY BE CAUSED BY CREATIVE SOUND CARD!!

It took me months to discover that my new computer was having its data corrupted by my Creative Audigy 2 sound card. I did extensive testing. Since it would produce errors in burning DVD's I simply burned a DVD-RW twice every time I installed new software and drivers. I can confirm absolutely that it is my Audigy 2 card. I don't know whether the card has a defect (it worked in my old system) or has a conflict with my system (see below). The data corruption was so severe that any part of any hard drive could get corrupted data. Very scary! I've removed my card and drivers and thoroughly tested it with ALL my software and drivers and there's not a hint of a problem.

Warning: When testing assume that any hard drive attached will be corrupted. If you have two hard drives (you should), dump your data to the hard drive you are not using and physically remove the power and data cables. Use a backup solution such as Acronis True Image and backup your c-drive periodically so you can RESTORE your c-drive if corruption occurs. Make sure your image is NOT on the hard drive you are using if you are unsure if it will get corrupt. (back up to DVD-R/RW if possible)

Once the corruption is isolated, you should FORMAT and PARTITION your main drive, install your Operating System, backup your cdrive and set a recurring reminder to backup your data and/or cdrive to DVD.
    My system:
    Gigabyte, GA-K8N Ultra SLI NF4 (NForce4 chipset)
    Geforce 6600GT 128MB
    2GB 3200 SDRAM
    Athlon 64 3000+
    Audigy 2 (no longer)
    *I tested a SATA and IDE hard drive separately. I tested three separate power supplies and two motherboards of the same model. The problem persisted in all cases. I also tested with a fresh XP and XP x64 installation with only basic NVidia motherboard drivers installed. If it's not Creative's "fault" then it may be a conflict with NVidia's motherboard chipset and/or drivers. (mismanaged data transfer?)

photonboy, Jun 27, 2020
  3. photonboy Win User
    Corrupt Hard Drive! URGENT!!

How to AVOID hard drive data corruption

There are several ways your hard drive can become corrupt:
    1) Insufficient cooling (especially for newest 7200 RPM's)
    2) Poor quality power supply or insufficient power
    3) Driver/software conflicts
    4) Damaged drive during shipping (it happens more often than you might think)

Steps to prevent problems:
    -buy a good quality power supply that meets your power needs. If you paid $25 then watch out! Take the time to do a little research and read customer feedback.

-Immediately run the latest hard drive diagnostics from the Manufacturer upon arrival of drive

-Go to Power Options and turn your hard drive(s) off after 30 min or so depending on use. This is especially important for a second drive that is hardly used. Why have it spinning and adding noise and heat?

-Ensure proper cooling for your case. I recommend a 12cm fan at the front, pulling air in across your hard drive(s) and a 12 cm fan at the rear drawing it out. Leave SPACE between your drives. I have an Antec P160 that has the power supply on the bottom with a divider so it doesn't add heat to the inside of the case. Many people with Cool 'n Quiet don't realize that they need to install the proper CPU drivers AND turn the Power Options to "Minimal Power Management." This cuts down on the heat inside the case.

-driver/software issues are rare and difficult to troubleshoot. Have a hard drive with no important data, then add files and drivers a few at a time then burn to a DVD-RW and verify the data (Nero). Also, make sure your drivers are up to date. The motherboard drivers are usually more up to date at the chipset manufacturers such as NVidia or VIA rather than the motherboard manufacturers. Run diagnostics and tests as soon as Windows and your basic drivers are installed, then make a backup of your cdrive before proceeding.

-Use the Manufacturer install tools AND run diagnostics on your disk before installing Windows. Then, when starting Windows installation do NOT choose the Quick format. Choosing the long format looks for any bad spots on the drive thus building up a table BEFORE installing Windows so that Windows doesn't install on to bad sectors thus creating issues.

-run S.M.A.R.T. tool (such as HDD Thermometer) periodically. Many of these are quite good. It is absolutely essential to know what your temperature is. You should be aiming for 35deg Celsius. Such tools may prevent hard drives from shutting down as per Power Options so you may want to run it initially until you are satisfied, then only periodically after that.

Finally, make sure to backup your c-drive to DVD-R and periodically back up your data. There are several programs which vary in price considerably. (Norton Ghost, Acronis True Image, Paragon Drive Image (i think), Nero and more) Find a solution that works for you and make sure it works. Some software does not work with SATA or a SATA image can't be restored on an IDE drive. Type up the steps to take in the event of Hard drive failure or Corruption and have a paper copy handy!!

Data corruption may be happening right now and you don't even know it! Hard drive corruption varies from minimal to BSOD to complete drive failure. I hope the above information helps a few people.

photonboy, Jun 27, 2020
  4. Msap14 Win User

I have a corrupted hard drive with data on it

Hard Drive Data Recovery

got a laptop pata hard drive that makes a slight constant clicking noise. hard drive is more than likely dead/dying right... i can see that partitions of the hard drive in disk management and i can see the partitions in my computer but i can't get to any of the data.

any suggestions?

Msap14, Jun 27, 2020
Thema:

I have a corrupted hard drive with data on it

1. I have a corrupted hard drive with data on it - Similar Threads - corrupted hard drive

2. I have a corrupt bios but now do not have an installed hard drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I have a corrupt bios but now do not have an installed hard drive: I had windows 7 pro installed on my HP dv6 Pavilion 1215sa but then receive the dreaded Caps Lock 2 flashed and the little blue light over the top right hand which indicated a corrupt bios, subseuemltly I just removed the hard drive, and re-used it. IWindows + V, IIs it it...
  3. I have a corrupt bios but now do not have an installed hard drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I have a corrupt bios but now do not have an installed hard drive: I had windows 7 pro installed on my HP dv6 Pavilion 1215sa but then receive the dreaded Caps Lock 2 flashed and the little blue light over the top right hand which indicated a corrupt bios, subseuemltly I just removed the hard drive, and re-used it. IWindows + V, IIs it it...
  4. External Hard drive corrupted?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    External Hard drive corrupted?: I have a 4tb WD My Book external hard drive. It was used for external storage on my Xbox One, One X, and I have since upgraded to a Series S system. When I first connected it to the Series S it worked just fine, but when doing initial downloading and moving around games to...
  5. Corrupted hard drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Corrupted hard drive: Hello I had a hard drive go out on me. It says "The file or Directory is corrupted and unreadable". I tried restarting the computer and using "chkdsk x: /f /r" But it didn't work. some of the the results are: 89600 file records processed. File verification completed....
  6. Hard Drives corruption and errors

Hard Drives corruption and errors: So I had my computer unused for about a year it having two harddrives one HDD one SSD the ladder having the operating system. After starting it up again two days ago everything worked like it used to I had restarted it many times that day so it wasn't a hardware issue. But...
  7. corrupted hard drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    corrupted hard drive: I was told I had a corrupted hard drive and so I bought an ssd drive to replace it. now I cant get windows to down load or to read anything on the pc. It says that I have 2 hard drives both new WD2t. and a Samsung 256gb ssd. but will not let me load windows onto either of...
  8. Corrupted Hard Drive

Corrupted Hard Drive: How do you reformat a corrected hard drive? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/corrupted-hard-drive/b4812ab5-d725-4cac-9aaf-8a1b884873f8
  9. Hard Drive Corruption.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Hard Drive Corruption.: Hi everyone, my machine improper shut downs, many times and hard closing programs. I was looking for solutions and I found out one by check disk. Can you tell me how can I do that? Thanks...
  10. Corrupted hard drives

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Corrupted hard drives: Hi I am sure this has been covered elsewhere but I can't find it. My external drives were set to 'turn off write-cache' and we had a black out. The result is a 3 Tb Seagate external drive, a 2 Tb Seagate external drive, and a 500 Gb portable drive are no longer seen by...