Windows 10: I have a duplicate DESKTOP folder located under my MUSIC folders. How to do I move or...

Discus and support I have a duplicate DESKTOP folder located under my MUSIC folders. How to do I move or... in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I recently noticed that my Music folder seen quite large in size so and found that there was a copy of the Desktop folder in there. I think this... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by NatalieBT, Jun 20, 2020.

1. NatalieBT Win User

I have a duplicate DESKTOP folder located under my MUSIC folders. How to do I move or...

I recently noticed that my Music folder seen quite large in size so and found that there was a copy of the Desktop folder in there.

I think this probably happened when my material was transferred over at the store onto my new computer last year.

I opened the Desktop in Music folders and tried to move an item YouTube over to the real desktop folder. No luck. I then tried to delete YouTube out of that Desktopmusic folder and discovered it had also deleted it out of the both Desktop folders. I found the YouTube folder in the bin and restored it and it restored into both folders.

How do I get rid of the DESKTOP folder in music without deleting the whole main DESKTOP folder please.

:)

NatalieBT, Jun 20, 2020
  2. Nicrite Win User

Vista Ultimate - 'User' Folder Location

No tried that.

Can copy the entire folder to D; but Windows still points to C as the location. Can change personal folders location to a folder on D;, but this still leaves hidden files etc on C;. Thus meaning there are 2 Users folders. Have managed to change the Public folder location to D;, with some registry tweaks, but this doesnt seem to work for the entire folder.

any more suggestions

Nicrite, Jun 20, 2020
  3. Duplicate Public Folders

Hope this helps someone identify the problem.

• Q: What happens when you delete the duplicate folders?
    • A: Nothing. They're successfully deleted.

• Q: Does it happen to all of your folders or only those with pictures?
      • A: Only the default Public Folders (Documents, Pictures, Music, Videos).
      • A: All of the Public Folders have customized folder icons.
      • A: The above image shows yellow, empty folder icons (duplicates).

• Q: Any steps you've tried to troubleshoot this issue?
      • Actually, this has been a problem since Windows 7.
      • What I noticed then is that certain Windows programs created the duplicates:
        • Windows Media Player (stopped using)
        • Internet Explorer (stopped using)
        • Plus others, which I can't recall.
      • Only certain programs for Windows 10, as well:
        • Microsoft Edge (don't use it often)
        • Groove Music (never intentionally use it)
        • Plus others, which I haven't tracked.
          • I only notice it when I go to Public Folders.
          • By then, I've long since forgotten what was accessed.
      • I've googled for answers but most of those only address
        moving the Public Folders to another Drive.

PQSC.Programmer, Jun 20, 2020
  4. Eric-Kell Win User

I have a duplicate DESKTOP folder located under my MUSIC folders. How to do I move or...

Duplicate User folder.

I moved my default Pictures, Documents, Music folders to a new Data partition (D).

My Users/myName folder remained on the C partition.

Everything was fine for 2 years.

For some reason this myName folder is now duplicated on the D partition (D\myName)

I have now a default documents folder in

• D\Documents
    • D\myName\Documents
    • Onedrive\Documents
    • C\Users\myName\Documents
    The same with the other system folders.

I can not change the location of the folders in the 2 duplicate user folders.

Rightclicking in properties, there is no location option.

Only the folders in OneDrive and the D partition have this option.

Any ideas?

Eric-Kell, Jun 20, 2020
Thema:

1. I have a duplicate DESKTOP folder located under my MUSIC folders. How to do I move or... - Similar Threads - duplicate DESKTOP folder

2. How do I change the location of the Documents folder under This PC?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I change the location of the Documents folder under This PC?: How do I change the location of the Documents folder under This PC?I am unable to change the location for the Documents folder under This PC. It is the only folder in which the Properties menu does not give me the Location tab. Currently it is only allowing me to connect it...
  3. How do I change the location of the Documents folder under This PC?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I change the location of the Documents folder under This PC?: How do I change the location of the Documents folder under This PC?I am unable to change the location for the Documents folder under This PC. It is the only folder in which the Properties menu does not give me the Location tab. Currently it is only allowing me to connect it...
  4. How do I change the location of the Documents folder under This PC?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. I moved pictures onto my desktop and the location is stuck on a folder in my desktop and it...

I moved pictures onto my desktop and the location is stuck on a folder in my desktop and it...: So at some point i made a file folder of pictures in one of my folders and i couldn't get rid of it. I tried to restore its default location but was greeted with Can't move the folder because there is a folder in the same location that can't be redirected. Access is denied....
  6. I moved pictures onto my desktop and the location is stuck on a folder in my desktop and it...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I moved pictures onto my desktop and the location is stuck on a folder in my desktop and it...: So at some point i made a file folder of pictures in one of my folders and i couldn't get rid of it. I tried to restore its default location but was greeted with Can't move the folder because there is a folder in the same location that can't be redirected. Access is denied....
  7. I accidently moved the desktop folders location to my user profile/administrator folder

I accidently moved the desktop folders location to my user profile/administrator folder: Now after resetting my pc and trying for a whole day, I can't figure out how to undo it. This is how it happened, I went into my desktop properties, to location tab, when changing it, it went back to previous parent folder, where my default user profiles are saved, i thought...
  8. Why my 'Music' folder and 'Pictures' folder under This PC change their locations together

Why my 'Music' folder and 'Pictures' folder under This PC change their locations together: I want to move all folders(Videos, Music, Download, Music, Documents, Desktop) under This PC which are in my D: disk to E: disk. So I right-clicked each folder and selected property, moved to location tab, change its value to the E: disk path. This method ran well for...
  9. How do I share my music folder

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    How do I share my music folder: How do I share my music folder with other users on my PC in Widows 10? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-share-my-music-folder/01bc2d5f-db98-41b8-a2aa-f63a0c9c239b"
  10. Move Location of Music Folder in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Move Location of Music Folder in Windows 10: How to: Move Location of Music Folder in Windows 10 How to Move Your Music Folder Location in Windows 10 By default, Windows stores your personal Music folder in your account's %UserProfile% folder (ex: "C:\Users\Brink"). You can change where files in this Music...