Windows 10: I have a folder that seems to be impossible to delete

Discus and support I have a folder that seems to be impossible to delete in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I was testing some commands with robocopy to make sure I had some syntax correct. For testing I created the following 2 folders: D:\1 and D:\2 When I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by hsehestedt, Sep 1, 2019.

1. I have a folder that seems to be impossible to delete

I was testing some commands with robocopy to make sure I had some syntax correct. For testing I created the following 2 folders:

D:\1
    and
    D:\2

When I am done testing I noticed that I actually had 2 folders called "2" right on the root of D:. One of these I can delete, but the other I cannot. Windows tells me that the item no longer exists.

I have a folder that seems to be impossible to delete [​IMG]

I have a folder that seems to be impossible to delete [​IMG]

Even after a reboot, this folder still shows up, but I cannot delete it. CHKDSK tells me that there is no problem with the filesystem.

Note too that the system will allow me to create another folder called "2" in the same location. If I copy files and folders into that newly created folder, they will show up under both of those folders but I can still only delete the one folder.

This I what I have tried:

reboot
    Delete using file explorer
    Delete using command line
    Tried to rename it from File Explorer and command line, neither work
    Tried apps such as WinZip hoping that I could move the file to another location or ZIP file. No luck
    Ran chkdsk, no problems found
    Completely power off and back on, no difference

Drive in question is an SSD running on Win 10 1903

Any ideas on how to get rid of this phantom folder?

:)

hsehestedt, Sep 1, 2019

2. Trouble deleting a folder

Thanks for the suggestion but it says "delete folder failed for E:\....." for each folder I try.

*Confused I have a folder that seems to be impossible to delete :confused:

Will I be forever stuck with these unnecessary folders? *Oh Well I have a folder that seems to be impossible to delete :eek:hwell:

oli_ramsay, Sep 1, 2019
  3. topgundcp Win User
    Unable to delete a folder - Invalid folder name

Suggestion:
    1. Run chkdsk x: /r to make sure that there's no HD corruption.
      x: is the drive containing the folder you want to delete.
    2. Try to delete the folder again. If still does not work, go to step 3.
    3. Download: Download - Linux Mint and create a bootable USB using: Rufus - Create bootable USB
    4. Boot up with Linux Mint and try to delete the folder again.
      NOTE: Unlike WinPE. Linux does not have any Windows permission imposed to it so it is easier to delete.

topgundcp, Sep 1, 2019
  4. I have a folder that seems to be impossible to delete

Delete a file folder.

In such cases it is often possible to use this 3-step process:

1. Move the folder to C:\
    2. Reboot
    3. Delete the folder

Frederik Long, Sep 1, 2019
Thema:

I have a folder that seems to be impossible to delete

1. I have a folder that seems to be impossible to delete - Similar Threads - folder seems impossible

2. Seemed like a Mission Impossible Countdown at the end

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Seemed like a Mission Impossible Countdown at the end: Good Day All while having a cold one in Bahrain in it's Fine Chief's Club i did the check for updates and it said 1903 was ready for me it's 4PM so i say OK lets go it took around 3 hrs over there wifi to download so that made it 7pm+- after that i figured 2+ hrs to set up...
  3. I seem to have lost my touch

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    I seem to have lost my touch: I cannot get touch and inking to work on my 2-in-1 Tablet PC's touch screen. I have used it before, but now I cannot remember if I have missed out something to activate it again. I can draw and scribble with the mouse but not with my (basic) stylus or fingers, either in the...
  4. Sketch and Snip seems to have 'hidden' folder of images.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Sketch and Snip seems to have 'hidden' folder of images.: This is one App I use quite a lot, and I've noticed that there appears to be a 'hidden' cache of all 'Snips' that are being retained in the program files related to the App. I wonder why these are being created and why are they are being retained, even after a full disk...
  5. Folder deletion impossible even with full permissions, Win10, SSD

in Windows 10 Support
    Folder deletion impossible even with full permissions, Win10, SSD: Hello I'm having difficulty deleting files and folders on an SSD in Windows 10. The SSD is used for games, and most of the data is a Steam folder. The problem with file removal is worsened as the Steam folder is mostly a modded Skyrim installation, which requires frequent...
  6. I seem to have deleted an external drive, can data be recovered?

in Windows 10 Support
    I seem to have deleted an external drive, can data be recovered?: I just brought home a new computer with Windows 10 and have been transferring files from my old Windows 7 computer. In addition, I have an external drive that I've used to keep some tax records and many personal photos etc. I plugged it into my new computer and was...
  7. Folder that I can't delete

in Windows 10 Support
    Folder that I can't delete: I have a folder in win 10 that I can't delete! When I try to delete it is says "You do not have access to this folder" There is an explanation on what to do to gain access to it but it is meaningless to me! Can someone give me clear & concise procedure on how to delete...
  8. Can i Delete this Folders?

in Windows 10 Support
    Can i Delete this Folders?: Can i Delete Folder $Windows.~BT and $Windows.~WS on C: Drive? 9888
  9. I have some folders that I can't delete. OS says folder doesn't exist

in Windows 10 Support
    I have some folders that I can't delete. OS says folder doesn't exist: In the program JRiver Media Center (MC), I was experimenting with saving my TV Recordings/subscriptions directly to the appropriate "seriesName" folder using the "Apply these tags (optional)' tool in the TV series' subscription rules. Anyways .... I got the command wrong...
  10. I have accidentally deleted my downloads folder

in Windows 10 Support
    I have accidentally deleted my downloads folder: not sure how but I was dragging and dropping lots of things and then moving them to the recycle bin and now I cant access my downloads folder, it just says ; (screenshot) Screenshot - 7e2708c4a12ac1d35a226000a5e76e7d - Gyazo 6192