Windows 10: I have a folder that seems to be impossible to delete

Discus and support I have a folder that seems to be impossible to delete in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I was testing some commands with robocopy to make sure I had some syntax correct. For testing I created the following 2 folders: D:\1 and D:\2 When I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by hsehestedt, Sep 1, 2019.

1. I have a folder that seems to be impossible to delete

I was testing some commands with robocopy to make sure I had some syntax correct. For testing I created the following 2 folders:

D:\1
    and
    D:\2

When I am done testing I noticed that I actually had 2 folders called "2" right on the root of D:. One of these I can delete, but the other I cannot. Windows tells me that the item no longer exists.

I have a folder that seems to be impossible to delete [​IMG]

I have a folder that seems to be impossible to delete [​IMG]

Even after a reboot, this folder still shows up, but I cannot delete it. CHKDSK tells me that there is no problem with the filesystem.

Note too that the system will allow me to create another folder called "2" in the same location. If I copy files and folders into that newly created folder, they will show up under both of those folders but I can still only delete the one folder.

This I what I have tried:

reboot
    Delete using file explorer
    Delete using command line
    Tried to rename it from File Explorer and command line, neither work
    Tried apps such as WinZip hoping that I could move the file to another location or ZIP file. No luck
    Ran chkdsk, no problems found
    Completely power off and back on, no difference

Drive in question is an SSD running on Win 10 1903

Any ideas on how to get rid of this phantom folder?

:)

hsehestedt, Sep 1, 2019

2. Trouble deleting a folder

Thanks for the suggestion but it says "delete folder failed for E:\....." for each folder I try.

*Confused I have a folder that seems to be impossible to delete :confused:

Will I be forever stuck with these unnecessary folders? *Oh Well I have a folder that seems to be impossible to delete :eek:hwell:

oli_ramsay, Sep 1, 2019
  3. topgundcp Win User
    Unable to delete a folder - Invalid folder name

Suggestion:
    1. Run chkdsk x: /r to make sure that there's no HD corruption.
      x: is the drive containing the folder you want to delete.
    2. Try to delete the folder again. If still does not work, go to step 3.
    3. Download: Download - Linux Mint and create a bootable USB using: Rufus - Create bootable USB
    4. Boot up with Linux Mint and try to delete the folder again.
      NOTE: Unlike WinPE. Linux does not have any Windows permission imposed to it so it is easier to delete.

topgundcp, Sep 1, 2019
  4. I have a folder that seems to be impossible to delete

Delete a file folder.

In such cases it is often possible to use this 3-step process:

1. Move the folder to C:\
    2. Reboot
    3. Delete the folder

Frederik Long, Sep 1, 2019
Thema:

I have a folder that seems to be impossible to delete

1. I have a folder that seems to be impossible to delete - Similar Threads - folder seems impossible

2. No more administrator account, seemingly impossible to bypass.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    No more administrator account, seemingly impossible to bypass.: Earlier, my administrator account disappeared. I am genuinely baffled and worried, as I have not been able to find a method of recovering the administrator access.Along the way, I must have done something in one of my fixes to of have done this, but I don't know where, all I...
  3. No more administrator account, seemingly impossible to bypass.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    No more administrator account, seemingly impossible to bypass.: Earlier, my administrator account disappeared. I am genuinely baffled and worried, as I have not been able to find a method of recovering the administrator access.Along the way, I must have done something in one of my fixes to of have done this, but I don't know where, all I...
  4. I have deleted my HKLM folder

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I have deleted my HKLM folder: Today I wanted to disable Guest mode on google chrome, so I went to Command prompt and typed this command: REG DELETE HKLMthen it asked me if I want to delete this folder then i said yes, after a while I had a problem launching my apps such as After effects and Minecraft,...
  5. I have deleted my HKLM folder

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    I have deleted my HKLM folder: Today I wanted to disable Guest mode on google chrome, so I went to Command prompt and typed this command: REG DELETE HKLMthen it asked me if I want to delete this folder then i said yes, after a while I had a problem launching my apps such as After effects and Minecraft,...
  6. Contacting Microsoft seems to be impossible

in Windows 10 Customization
    Contacting Microsoft seems to be impossible: Microsoft issues again! following updates, regularly problems in performance of Windows, impossible to get a real person to assist, 4 phone numbers, only received phone charges, cut off, the online service for help does not connect always 1 waiting.....spent 10 hours trying...
  7. winscomrssrv.dll impossible to delete it.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    winscomrssrv.dll impossible to delete it.: HelloooAs the title suggest, the file is showing up as missing when initially loading into windows. I have looked around windows security to see if maybe these file were in isolation but no luck. Only windows defender installedI have tried running these scripts in command...
  8. I have deleted an important windows folder.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    I have deleted an important windows folder.: I accidentally deleted permanently the WindowsApps folder now none of my apps or the Microsoft store are working and I don't know what to do. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-have-deleted-an-important-windows-folder/6d214017-a14c-46fd-b8da-a6b1b799d4ae
  9. I get random BSODs that are seemingly impossible to troubleshoot.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    I get random BSODs that are seemingly impossible to troubleshoot.: I keep getting random BlueScreens that pretty much always come up with a different message and not 2 same ones in a row. I don't get them on start up but I get them randomly when I use the computer. I have gotten too many BSOD messages to remember but when they do show up a...
  10. Folder deletion impossible even with full permissions, Win10, SSD

in Windows 10 Support
    Folder deletion impossible even with full permissions, Win10, SSD: Hello I'm having difficulty deleting files and folders on an SSD in Windows 10. The SSD is used for games, and most of the data is a Steam folder. The problem with file removal is worsened as the Steam folder is mostly a modded Skyrim installation, which requires frequent...