Windows 10: I have a gray x on most of my files and I cannot open the.

Discus and support I have a gray x on most of my files and I cannot open the. in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have a gray x on most of my files and I cannot open the. It doesn't matter if they are word docs, excel spreadsheets, PDFs or anything else. This... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by carlp7777, Mar 2, 2020.

1. carlp7777 Win User

I have a gray x on most of my files and I cannot open the.

I have a gray x on most of my files and I cannot open the. It doesn't matter if they are word docs, excel spreadsheets, PDFs or anything else. This only began 3/2/20.

:)

carlp7777, Mar 2, 2020

2. music files with an X on them

Not that I have a solution to suggest, but I think it is interesting that only three of the eight files in your list have that gray X. Are you able to copy those files which do not have the X? That might lead to a clue as to how the files got created, etc.

retexan599, Mar 2, 2020
  3. brufair Win User
    Gray X's on Desktop files appearing

Gray X's have recently started appearing on all of the files and folders I have placed on my Windows 10 desktop.

I have a gray x on most of my files and I cannot open the. [​IMG]

The X's are in the lower left corner of the icon.. They only appear on icons belonging to actual files or folders saved on the desktop. (Not on shortcuts to other locations.)

Examples would include: Excel files, PDF files, JPG files, folders actually residing on the desktop, text files, etc. The appearance of the "X's" have not interfered with my ability to access the files. This does NOT occur any place else (other folders on my hard drive, etc.) other than on the desktop.

Logging out as a User or rebooting does solve the issue for 1-2 minutes once I am logged back in, but then they reappear.

Doing a screen refresh does nothing. Right-clicking on the file (or folder) and resetting the default program to open the file (or folder) does nothing.

I have not recently installed any new back-up programs.

Deleting the Desktop DataBase in the Registry does not help.

Any suggestions or known solutions would be most appreciated!

brufair, Mar 2, 2020
  4. Ketxxx Win User

opening .dds files with gimp

Simply, HOW? I got the DDS plugin but the POS wont open DDS files still. Can someone give me a step-by-step rundown of how to install the DDS plugin for gimp so I know if I'm missing something?

Ketxxx, Mar 2, 2020
Thema:

1. I have a gray x on most of my files and I cannot open the. - Similar Threads - gray files cannot

2. Unable to open files with Gray X mark saved my on Win10 laptop

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Unable to open files with Gray X mark saved my on Win10 laptop: ello Friends, Please guide/ help with this issue. Initially, I had these files saved on my One Drive. Some time ago, I downloaded these files to my old Win-10 laptop I am not using OneDrive any longer. I just tried to access these files saved on my laptop, I see these files...
  3. Unable to open files with Gray X mark saved on my Win10 laptop

Unable to open files with Gray X mark saved on my Win10 laptop: Hello Friends,Please guide/ help with this issue. Initially, I had these files saved on my One Drive. Some time ago, I downloaded these files to my old Win-10 laptop.I am not using OneDrive any longer. I just tried to access these files saved on my laptop, I see these files...
  4. Unable to open files with Gray X mark saved my on Win10 laptop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to open files with Gray X mark saved my on Win10 laptop: ello Friends, Please guide/ help with this issue. Initially, I had these files saved on my One Drive. Some time ago, I downloaded these files to my old Win-10 laptop I am not using OneDrive any longer. I just tried to access these files saved on my laptop, I see these files...
  5. Unable to open files with Gray X mark saved on my Win10 laptop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to open files with Gray X mark saved on my Win10 laptop: Hello Friends,Please guide/ help with this issue. Initially, I had these files saved on my One Drive. Some time ago, I downloaded these files to my old Win-10 laptop.I am not using OneDrive any longer. I just tried to access these files saved on my laptop, I see these files...
  6. Unable to open files with Gray X mark saved my on Win10 laptop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Unable to open files with Gray X mark saved on my Win10 laptop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. Gray x on my pictures

Gray x on my pictures: Okay, so yesterday i had no space left on my laptop and i decided to put important pictures in a usb and i cut and paste the pictures and i checked and everything was okay then i factory reset my computer in the other day i turn on the computer and my old stuff came back...
  9. Why can't I acces these files and Why they have a Gray X?

Why can't I acces these files and Why they have a Gray X?: Hello, My girlfriend just noticed that she have some files with a gray X and she's unable to open them. When she tries to copy and paste in another folder it appears an image of an error. Some files are important, what should we do? [ATTACH][ATTACH][ATTACH]...
  10. Gray X on photos cannot open need some help please?

Gray X on photos cannot open need some help please?: Hello all, I'm having some trouble with my photos I went to open them and they have a gray X in the bottom left corner of the file and they are unable to be open. Does anyone know what may be going on or have any solution? Thanks a lot. [ATTACH]...