Windows 10: I have a laptop running Win10 that has stopped recognizing any USB drives

Discus and support I have a laptop running Win10 that has stopped recognizing any USB drives in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I have a laptop running Win10 that has stopped recognizing any USB drives in File Explorer or Disc Management after a recent OS update. The devices are... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Mr.AtoZ, Dec 1, 2021.

1. Mr.AtoZ Win User

I have a laptop running Win10 that has stopped recognizing any USB drives

I have a laptop running Win10 that has stopped recognizing any USB drives in File Explorer or Disc Management after a recent OS update. The devices are seen in device manager with a warning icon correctly IDing the brand usually saying a driver is unavailable. The manufacturer doesn't have updated USB drivers Acer, Windows won't update the drivers automatically or from an internal search. I've tried nearly all the suggestions on threads and web pages devoted to similar issues - removing the devices in Device Manager, restarting, rescanning, even a BIOS update and I see no changes. Even cha

:)

Mr.AtoZ, Dec 1, 2021
  2. Nikhar_K Win User

usb drive not recognized

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I understand that you get an error, ‘USB device not recognized’ when connecting a USB drive. I’ll certainly assist you with the issue.

However, please let us know:

• May I know the update that was installed? To check go to
      Start >> Settings >> Update & Security >> Windows Update >> View update history.
    • Does the issue occur with only one USB drive?
    • Which build version of Windows 10 is installed on the computer? Refer
      Which version of Windows operating system am I running?

I would suggest you to try plugging the USB to a different USB port and check if that helps. You can also try connecting the USB to a different computer and check.

Meanwhile, I would suggest you to refer the troubleshooting steps mentioned in the article
    Error: “USB Device not recognized" when you try to access
    a USB external hard drive
    except Method 1 & 2 and see if that makes any difference.

Let us know the results, we will be glad to help you further.

Regards,

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Nikhar_K, Dec 1, 2021
  3. usb drive not recognized

Kirt Pierre

Sat 7/4/2020 4:59 AM

• Microsoft Community

Good Morning Nikhar,
    Do please pardon my late response. You had requested the following information as it relates to

" An external usb 3.0 drive not being recognized" in Windows 10.

As follows:

Thanking you in advance Nikhar for your professional help and feedback.
    Kind Regards,
    Kirt

KirtPierre, Dec 1, 2021
  4. Nikhar_K Win User

computer not recognizing usb drive

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I understand that you are unable to use USB drive on your computer. I’ll certainly assist you with this.

However, please let us know:

• Do you receive any error when connecting a USB drive?
    • Does this issue occur only with one particular USB or with all the USB drives?
    • Are you aware of any changes made to the computer prior to this issue?
    • Which build version of Windows 10 is installed on the computer? To check type
      winver in the search bar on the Taskbar and hit
      Enter.
    • What is the make and model of the computer?

Meanwhile, I would suggest you to refer the troubleshooting steps mentioned in the article

Error: “USB Device not recognized”
    except for Method 1 and 2.

Let us know how it goes.

Regards,

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Nikhar_K, Dec 1, 2021
Thema:

1. I have a laptop running Win10 that has stopped recognizing any USB drives - Similar Threads - laptop running Win10

2. my laptop stopped write to any USB drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    my laptop stopped write to any USB drive: my laptop stopped write to any USB drive from windows not physical issue, how can i fix this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-laptop-stopped-write-to-any-usb-drive/e0eee105-9b48-482b-9b1e-383d0d9b93dd
  3. my laptop stopped write to any USB drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    my laptop stopped write to any USB drive: my laptop stopped write to any USB drive from windows not physical issue, how can i fix this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-laptop-stopped-write-to-any-usb-drive/e0eee105-9b48-482b-9b1e-383d0d9b93dd
  4. I have a laptop running Win10 that has stopped recognizing any USB drives

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    I have a laptop running Win10 that has stopped recognizing any USB drives: I have a laptop running Win10 that has stopped recognizing any USB drives in File Explorer or Disc Management after a recent OS update. The devices are seen in device manager with a warning icon correctly IDing the brand usually saying a driver is unavailable. The...
  5. I have a laptop running Win10 that has stopped recognizing any USB drives

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I have a laptop running Win10 that has stopped recognizing any USB drives: I have a laptop running Win10 that has stopped recognizing any USB drives in File Explorer or Disc Management after a recent OS update. The devices are seen in device manager with a warning icon correctly IDing the brand usually saying a driver is unavailable. The...
  6. Windows 10 doesn't recognize any USB drives

Windows 10 doesn't recognize any USB drives: So yesterday everything was okay: Both my external flash drives worked fine. I shut down my PC and turned it on today but Windows wouldn't show me my drives. Although, it played the plugged-in and plugged-out sound every time I inserted or removed the drives. Here's what...
  7. usb drive not recognized

usb drive not recognized: Microsoft updated my win10 then shut down my computer. I have just loaded their crippling mode s and am trying to download Linux from usb but computer down not seem to recognize there is a usb drive plugged in....
  8. USB Drive Not Recognized

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    USB Drive Not Recognized: Hi, I have a USB drive that is not showing up in file explorer. Just yesterday it was working fine, but when I plugged it into my computer today, it is not showing up. I've tried updating and reinstalling the drivers from device manager and restarting my computer, but that...
  9. win10 does not recognize a usb flash drive

win10 does not recognize a usb flash drive: why does win10 not recognize my usb flash drive anymore ( I cannot save copied files in my usb portable flash device) ?? thanks R. 10/9/2018 10.20 PM EST...
  10. USB drives not recognized

USB drives not recognized: After recent update USB drives are not recognized; tried 3 separate ones. There is a sound when plugged in / taken out. The drives work OK on other computers. USB keyboard and hub work. Connected to hub printer, scanner and cordless mouse work. Device manager shows no faults...