Windows 10: I have a old Dell that i have the old activation key but my son gave me a pro and I cant...

Discus and support I have a old Dell that i have the old activation key but my son gave me a pro and I cant... in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Need help to admin password on my old Dell... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Painmanliving, Mar 16, 2020.

1. I have a old Dell that i have the old activation key but my son gave me a pro and I cant...

Need help to admin password on my old Dell

:)

Painmanliving, Mar 16, 2020

2. New computer - transfer old key

Hi,

The Windows 10 Pro upgrade would be tied to the old computer and is not transferable. I believe it will be necessary to purchase Windows 10 Pro.

Try the following steps:

To upgrade, select the Start button, then select Settings >
    Update & security > Activation.

• If you have a digital license for Windows 10 Pro, and Windows 10 Home is currently activated on your device, select
      Go to Store and you'll be prompted to upgrade to Windows 10 Pro for free.
    • If you have a digital license for Windows 10 Pro, but Windows 10 Home isn't activated on your device, select
      Troubleshoot, and then follow the steps to upgrade to Windows 10 Pro.
    • If you don't have a digital license for Windows 10 Pro, Windows 10 Pro is available for purchase from the Store.
    Upgrade Windows 10 Home to Windows 10 Pro

Smittychat., Mar 16, 2020
  3. Superfly Win User
    Reinstall Windows 10 on old laptop - won't activate

Yup, down-level upgrading still works...

Coupla days ago built my son and I new AMD rigs - my son's was vanilla (as in new everything) so created the install usb and slipped a PID.txt with an unused Win8.1 key into it. That install was activated by the time setup gave us the desktop.

Mine. I decided to try an old SSD (with 1703 on it) booted that on the new rig, wasn't activated as expected, but changing key with unused Retail Win 7 or Win 8 keys didn't work... so I trashed that install and installed 1809, then the same key that error'd on 1703, activated 1809... it's all very flaky IMHO.

Superfly, Mar 16, 2020
  4. deeaa Win User

I have a old Dell that i have the old activation key but my son gave me a pro and I cant...

Activation with old key?

Here's what it said on the old machine:

Windows 10 Pro
    Product ID: 00330----
    Installed Key: VK7JZ----

Original Key: XHQ8M----
    Original Edition: Win 8.1. Professional Retail
    OEM Key: OEM key not present in firmware

But the key I had used with the orig. 8.1. installation (and luckily had stuck it on the PC case) was nothing like these.

Sadly I don't remember what exactly it said, but it was along the lines of 'windows cannot activate with this key' I recall it was even in red. And offered to try another key or after installation to go to the store.

deeaa, Mar 16, 2020
Thema:

I have a old Dell that i have the old activation key but my son gave me a pro and I cant...

1. I have a old Dell that i have the old activation key but my son gave me a pro and I cant... - Similar Threads - old Dell old

2. I have a dell inspiron it's 8 months old.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I have a dell inspiron it's 8 months old.: Here's the issue. Says connected to the internet but it's not, say internet available but it will not connect. Dell adapters have been updated still it will not connect. Internet provider came out internet is working but mu dell will connect sometimes now it will not connect...
  3. I have a dell inspiron it's 8 months old.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I have a dell inspiron it's 8 months old.: Here's the issue. Says connected to the internet but it's not, say internet available but it will not connect. Dell adapters have been updated still it will not connect. Internet provider came out internet is working but mu dell will connect sometimes now it will not connect...
  4. I have a BIG problem getting any old in from my old accounts to my new computer. I have no...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I have a BIG problem getting any old in from my old accounts to my new computer. I have no...: My big problem is that all systems want a cell no. for backup services BUT I have no cell service in my home area. what can I do to access my account sign in infro from old computer to this new computer? the out of service computer is an acer crome book. New computer is...
  5. I have a BIG problem getting any old in from my old accounts to my new computer. I have no...

I have a BIG problem getting any old in from my old accounts to my new computer. I have no...: My big problem is that all systems want a cell no. for backup services BUT I have no cell service in my home area. what can I do to access my account sign in infro from old computer to this new computer? the out of service computer is an acer crome book. New computer is...
  6. I have a product key from my old device, I upgraded hardware but I can't activate the new...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I have a product key from my old device, I upgraded hardware but I can't activate the new...: I have a product key from my old device, I upgraded hardware but I can't activate the new one using the old product key https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-have-a-product-key-from-my-old-device-i-upgraded/10872f5d-aff5-4007-a640-047fbb37ce0c
  7. I have a product key from my old device, I upgraded hardware but I can't activate the new...

I have a product key from my old device, I upgraded hardware but I can't activate the new...: I have a product key from my old device, I upgraded hardware but I can't activate the new one using the old product key https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-have-a-product-key-from-my-old-device-i-upgraded/10872f5d-aff5-4007-a640-047fbb37ce0c
  8. I have a product key from my old device, I upgraded hardware but I can't activate the new...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  9. I think I have a old computer lmao

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    I think I have a old computer lmao: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/Thecoolgamer76 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/yw5jw1/i_think_i_have_a_old_computer_lmao/
  10. I no longer have my activation key! This PC is over 8 years old!

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    I no longer have my activation key! This PC is over 8 years old!: Okay, so I decided to finally upgrade my old computer. I replaced only the motherboard and CPU and increased my memory to 16 gigs. When I originally bought this PC I believe it had Windows 7 on it, which over time I have upgraded to Windows 10. So after I updated my hardware...