Windows 10: I have a square pixelated box appearing over my mouse icon - only happens on second monitor

Discus and support I have a square pixelated box appearing over my mouse icon - only happens on second monitor in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; I have two monitors setup with my HP Laptop. On one screen, the mouse icon is fine, but when i drag the mouse icon to the second screen, a black square... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by LeonRamkirpaul, Mar 23, 2023.

1. I have a square pixelated box appearing over my mouse icon - only happens on second monitor

I have two monitors setup with my HP Laptop. On one screen, the mouse icon is fine, but when i drag the mouse icon to the second screen, a black square appears over the clicker and I can't see past it. I tried restarting, changing the mouse icon, resizing it, but it doesn't go away. Please help.

:)

LeonRamkirpaul, Mar 23, 2023

2. Second monitor appears pixelated sometimes

Before we get started, here might be some setup information that may be worth noting. My primary monitor is a 1080p, 1920 x 1080 (native) using an HDMI to DVI. My secondary monitor is a SONY TV 1360 x 768 (native) using an HDMI. Both are connected to my graphics card and not the motherboard. I have always had this setup but I have not always had this issue.

Preforming the following actions may cause my second monitor to appear pixelated.
    • Getting a web browser out of maximized mode by click dragging the window or using the restore button
    • Using full screen on the secondary monitor
    • Dragging a window into the second monitor, sometimes

In order to temporarily solve this issue I must apply a change to any display using the Nvidia Control Panel. Using the Windows display settings to apply a change does not always fix the issue. Also note that after the second monitor goes pixelated, my computer does not detect a change in any display's resolution settings.

So far I have tried the following fixes to no avail
    • Keeping display drivers up to date
    • Using a DDU to wipe display drivers clean and start anew
    • Using the Hardware and Devices troubleshooter

I have tried to use capture software to screenshot the pixelation but it can not see it. I have to use a camera to show what it looks like instead.
    Before:

I have a square pixelated box appearing over my mouse icon - only happens on second monitor [​IMG]

After:

I have a square pixelated box appearing over my mouse icon - only happens on second monitor [​IMG]

Capture software is not capable of detecting the pixelation so I have recreated what it looks like on screen. Use this as reverence if the pictures look bad.
    Before:

After:

Tjaekazuta, Mar 23, 2023
  3. The icons appear to have a square layer of random pixels over them

Suddenly a few of my desktop icons look strange. The interesting thing is that some of the icons like image files and other file's icons are still fine, the files on the desktop like computer, mozilla, vlc player which are on the desktop seem to be affected
    The icons appear to have a square layer of random pixels over them. I've tried to find the issue on the net, but don't seem to find an answer. Can someone help?

i found a thread on microsoft which had the same problem and got resolved by a step:

Redirecting

i tried uninstalling avast which i had but didn't help. please someone help.!

im attaching an image:

I have a square pixelated box appearing over my mouse icon - only happens on second monitor 1de87116-6a8d-4cdd-8901-c4a07ed99a7a?upload=true.jpg

maxwelsamael, Mar 23, 2023
  4. I have a square pixelated box appearing over my mouse icon - only happens on second monitor

My mouse pointer is a pixelated square on Windows 10 startup screen

I have similar problem. I have Surface Pro 4, Windows 10 and a Acer large screen. Mouse intermittently changes to a multi colored square on the monitor but luckily the screen on the Surface stays a pointer.

I have remedied my situation by going into the settings / devices / mouse / additional mouse settings /

under Mouse properties, select the second tab, "pointers"

hit the drop down menu under Scheme, select a different scheme, APPLY and close and my square box turns into a different pointer.

This is a temporary fix that works for me that can last a week or so and I have to to it again. Hope this helps.

DonEugenio1, Mar 23, 2023
Thema:

I have a square pixelated box appearing over my mouse icon - only happens on second monitor

1. I have a square pixelated box appearing over my mouse icon - only happens on second monitor - Similar Threads - square pixelated box

2. System icons appearing as squares

in Windows 10 Gaming
    System icons appearing as squares: Hello, I'm writing here because I've tried everything, even a repair installation. Some system icons are appearing as squares:This is my Windows version: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/system-icons-appearing-as-squares/593c403c-b866-490d-afab-c6df97be9712
  3. System icons appearing as squares

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    System icons appearing as squares: Hello, I'm writing here because I've tried everything, even a repair installation. Some system icons are appearing as squares:This is my Windows version: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/system-icons-appearing-as-squares/593c403c-b866-490d-afab-c6df97be9712
  4. I have a square pixelated box appearing over my mouse icon - only happens on second monitor

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I have a square pixelated box appearing over my mouse icon - only happens on second monitor: I have two monitors setup with my HP Laptop. On one screen, the mouse icon is fine, but when i drag the mouse icon to the second screen, a black square appears over the clicker and I can't see past it. I tried restarting, changing the mouse icon, resizing it, but it doesn't...
  5. Mute Icon appears as a square

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Mute Icon appears as a square: Whenever I mute my PC, Instead of the mute icon, I see this square:Please help. Also, this started happening when I changed my Windows Explorer font using Registry Editor....
  6. My custom mouse cursor only appears when I hover over a text box

in Windows 10 Customization
    My custom mouse cursor only appears when I hover over a text box: So I recently got a custom mouse cursor and I realized that it only appeared when the mouse was hovering over a text box and when it was hovering over my desktop for example it would revert back to the default cursor. Is there a way I can make it so it will always appear as...
  7. Black Squares Over Icons

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Black Squares Over Icons: Hi, So my Pc is having a problem where whwnever i play valorant some Black Squares come over icons on desktop, and sometimes over their windows also.But If i close the game they dissapper after some time.Please Help....
  8. Desktop icons appearing on second monitor

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Desktop icons appearing on second monitor: As my title suggests, I am trying to troubleshoot an issue where my desktop icons are appearing on the wrong screen. I have my primary display set correctly in settings however, the icons continue to appear on the wrong monitor. This isn't a huge concern to me, but it is more...
  9. Icons have black square on them as I mouse over

in Windows 10 Support
    Icons have black square on them as I mouse over: I have an odd problem. Desktop can look 100% fine, then as I move the mouse cursor over the icons, as I move the mouse over each one, they have a black square around them. It seems completely random when it does it. Today it did it while installing a piece of software, then...
  10. Second monitor appears pixelated sometimes

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Second monitor appears pixelated sometimes: Before we get started, here might be some setup information that may be worth noting. My primary monitor is a 1080p, 1920 x 1080 (native) using an HDMI to DVI. My secondary monitor is a SONY TV 1360 x 768 (native) using an HDMI. Both are connected to my graphics card and not...