Windows 10: I have a windows 10 USB, but I lost the box and windows didn't activate automatically

Discus and support I have a windows 10 USB, but I lost the box and windows didn't activate automatically in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Normally whenever I've needed to reinstall it sort of 'just worked' and activated by itself and everything was good. I did a reinstall recently for the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Kyle Yates, Mar 24, 2020.

1. I have a windows 10 USB, but I lost the box and windows didn't activate automatically

Normally whenever I've needed to reinstall it sort of 'just worked' and activated by itself and everything was good. I did a reinstall recently for the first time in over a year and this time windows update just flat out refused to work, I ended up needing to download and use the update assistant. The usb is from 2015 so it kinda makes sense... Lots of updates.

Now I have this annoying 'activate windows' watermark though...

I used to have a little plastic card in the box that came with the usb and had a code on it, what I'm wondering is if the code is also on the usb since I didn't always need the card? If so can I access somehow to activate?

:)

Kyle Yates, Mar 24, 2020

2. Windows 10 USB boot

Hi there, am not a windows 10 expert. I have a pc in the bedroom on windows 10, I messed up the bootloader trying to fix the xp on that system.

System wont boot, trying to repair via win 10 usb installer.

Downloaded the media creation tool to install windows 10 installer on usb stick. Not compatible with a host of usb sticks I have. Tried the usb sticks that others use, but I think they use rufus; as the media creation tool by win 10 does not detect the usb stick.

So quick question, the win10 machine i am trying to repair the bootloader is a win7 upgraded to win10.
    If i were to use the usb win10 installer to "repair installation" does the version of the iso downloaded via the media creation tool matter?

There is three options:
    Windows 10
    Windows 10 Home
    Windows 10 N

Also is there a step by step instead of using rufus as I want to try an alternative method of creating a usb win 10 installer. Preferably with more compatibility.

System is a asus sabertooth 990 (r2?) with AMD phenom X 6.

Also is there any other software I can load onto the usb that can repair the bootloader easily?
    That would be the ideal alternative. Thanks

TRUELOVE95, Mar 24, 2020
  3. Windows 10 Activation (Insider)

I did a full clean install of Windows 10 a while back and it will not activate. I didn't do a clean install from Windows 7/8/8.1 it was from Windows 10 (activated) so I expected it to activate just fine since it was fine before hand.

My Windows 10 license wasn't created from a previous Windows 7/8/8.1 key I got it from signing up to be an insider back in Nov of 2014. I installed a preview build on my laptop from the insider program and it worked just fine and it automatically upgraded to newer and newer preview builds and then to the full release automatically, fully activated and working fine. I did a full clean install not long ago (expect it to go through without issue since it was working before) and now it will not activate and I can't find any info on how to get it to activate and I can't seem to find the insider Windows 10 key.

Microsoft online support was useless and the gave me the toll free number to tech support.. I am currently on the phone waiting, they said it could be a 1hr 30min wait.. sigh.. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

LightningJR, Mar 24, 2020
  4. thraxed Win User

I have a windows 10 USB, but I lost the box and windows didn't activate automatically

Installing windows off of a USB stick

Step By Step from vista:
    From admin cmd prompt

1. diskpart
    1a. list disk
    2. select disk 1 (replace 1 with your usb drive)
    3. clean
    4. create partition primary
    5. select partition 1 (replace 1 with your usb drive)
    6. active
    7. format fs=fat32
    8. assign
    9. exit

Copy Windows Vista's DVD ROM content to the Flash Drive

xcopy d:\*.* /s/e/f e:\ (d being your vista cd and e being your usb stick)

And that's it, boot off your usb disk

thraxed, Mar 24, 2020
Thema:

I have a windows 10 USB, but I lost the box and windows didn't activate automatically

1. I have a windows 10 USB, but I lost the box and windows didn't activate automatically - Similar Threads - USB lost box

2. My Windows 10 didn't activate automatically after reset settings

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    My Windows 10 didn't activate automatically after reset settings: I reset windows but didn't remember what settings were enabled before. I am facing attached error while trying to activate windows using command prompt....
  3. i have lost my activation key

in Windows 10 Gaming
    i have lost my activation key: i have lost my activation key https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-have-lost-my-activation-key/d8f7474f-74e7-4c4f-8247-9a153cf4e6f8
  4. i have lost my activation key

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    i have lost my activation key: i have lost my activation key https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-have-lost-my-activation-key/d8f7474f-74e7-4c4f-8247-9a153cf4e6f8
  5. Windows Mail boxes have lost their contents

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Mail boxes have lost their contents: I have been using windows 10 and Windows Mail for emailing for years. I have about 35 mail boxes into which a save email messages I wish to keep. Suddenly, they have all been emptied and the contents not visible. The message says "Nothing has arrived yet". What has caused...
  6. I lost my Windows 10 product key, but I still have the USB drive.

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    I lost my Windows 10 product key, but I still have the USB drive.: Hi! I had fairly recently purchased Windows 10 operating system in a usb through Amazon in order to use on a PC that I was building. It arrived just fine, and everything was in the box as it was intended to be. My brother and I ended up building the PC, but there were some...
  7. so recently i lost my activation key for windows the usb

so recently i lost my activation key for windows the usb: so recently i lost my activation key for windows the physical usb drive and i recently got a new pc but i need to activate my windows 10 on the new one how can i find my old product key?...
  8. "Windows 10 is activated with a digital licence" but I didn't activate it

"Windows 10 is activated with a digital licence" but I didn't activate it: I recently bought some old hardware to build a PC. Almost all parts except the hard drive and GPU is bought second hand. The hard drive is from a old HP PC which had Windows 7 preinstalled by HP, but I deleted all partitions including the "System Recovery" partition before...
  9. Activation Key...I didn't know I needed to have it on hand

Activation Key...I didn't know I needed to have it on hand: So, about a year ago I went to a Staples store to have the laptop that I am currently using to have it cleaned up. Basically, had them install a new hard drive and everything updated. They also updated the windows, and at the time I didn't think much of. Also I hardly use...
  10. I lost my windows 10 key on my box

I lost my windows 10 key on my box: Dear All, I have lost my windows key on my license box, by mistaken scratched some words on the box https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-lost-my-windows-10-key-on-my-box/fa760ec0-2c86-4a7f-8572-88db30b495f6"