Windows 10: I have a Windows 7 machine, can I still use the key to upgrade to Windows 10?

Discus and support I have a Windows 7 machine, can I still use the key to upgrade to Windows 10? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I am upgrading the hardware of my current PC that has Windows 7 on it; but will be removing the HD along with the upgrade. Is there any way I can... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/zWeApOnz, Nov 11, 2020.

1. I have a Windows 7 machine, can I still use the key to upgrade to Windows 10?

I am upgrading the hardware of my current PC that has Windows 7 on it; but will be removing the HD along with the upgrade.

Is there any way I can still get the free upgrade with my Windows 7 copy, or do I need to buy a Win10 key at this point?

Thanks!

submitted by /u/zWeApOnz
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/zWeApOnz, Nov 11, 2020

2. Installing Windows 10 using Windows 7 key

Nope, you need to install Windows 10 first and make sure the Windows 7 key is transferred to your Windows account after you've installed Windows 10 (not quite sure how that works). I missed the last step and I could not activate Windows 10 after a re-install... Microsoft seem to have done everything they can to make it a PITA. Also, it's technically too late to do this now anyhow, as the upgrade offer has expired. But KMSPico works quite well...

As for getting rid of Windows, delete the Windows folder.

TheLostSwede, Nov 11, 2020
  3. How to reinstall Windows 10 if my computers used the free upgrade from 7 and 8?

Will windows 10 still accept the license keys from 7 and 8 now if I reinstall my computer?

Does Microsoft keep a list of users who upgraded to Win 10 using their 7 and 8 keys so that when users need to reinstall windows 10 the old keys would work?

Do I need to call in Microsoft to ask them to activate my Windows 10 when I give them my win 7 keys?

Both computers are laptops. The windows 7 machine had the serial printed on the back, and I needed to enter that when I upgraded to 10. The windows 8 machine had the serial built in inside its boot system so I didn't need to enter the key when I upgraded to 10, but I did manage to write down the keys using a fetcher program.

JebusPrime, Nov 11, 2020
  4. pigulici Win User

I have a Windows 7 machine, can I still use the key to upgrade to Windows 10?

How to reinstall Windows 10 if my computers used the free upgrade from 7 and 8?

Yes, still work, no need to call, just be sure to have internet access when you start to install 10, I work at pc shop and did this few days ago, used a key of 7 to put clean 10(wasn't used for upgrade).

pigulici, Nov 11, 2020
Thema:

I have a Windows 7 machine, can I still use the key to upgrade to Windows 10?

1. I have a Windows 7 machine, can I still use the key to upgrade to Windows 10? - Similar Threads - machine still key

2. Can i still upgrade to windows 10 from 7 again?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can i still upgrade to windows 10 from 7 again?: I did the upgrade a few years ago, but the extra RAM usage kind of put me off, so i downgraded back to 7. Its almost impossible to use it because most hardware doesn't support 7 anymore. Makes sense i suppose. I recently had my HD fail on my W7 laptop, this kind of scarred me...
  3. Can i still upgrade to windows 10 from 7 again?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can i still upgrade to windows 10 from 7 again?: I did the upgrade a few years ago, but the extra RAM usage kind of put me off, so i downgraded back to 7. Its almost impossible to use it because most hardware doesn't support 7 anymore. Makes sense i suppose. I recently had my HD fail on my W7 laptop, this kind of scarred me...
  4. can i still upgrade to windows 10 from windows 7?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    can i still upgrade to windows 10 from windows 7?: dear microsoft employees i am here to ask if i can still upgrade my windows 7 home prem to a windows 10 becuase i got this for christmas from my grandparents and i did not know it was out of date and i need a quick solution to upgrade this to windows 10 for free with no money...
  5. can i still upgrade to windows 10 from windows 7?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    can i still upgrade to windows 10 from windows 7?: dear microsoft employees i am here to ask if i can still upgrade my windows 7 home prem to a windows 10 becuase i got this for christmas from my grandparents and i did not know it was out of date and i need a quick solution to upgrade this to windows 10 for free with no money...
  6. I have a windows 7 ultimate product key, i heard i can use it to upgrade to windows 10 pro...

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    I have a windows 7 ultimate product key, i heard i can use it to upgrade to windows 10 pro...: When i put this product key in my pc having windows 10 home OEM edition, when i put my retail windows 7 ultimate product key it shows a message that activation successful but doesn't prompt me to upgrade to windows 10 pro ? Early reply will be appreciable....
  7. Can I still use Windows 7?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Can I still use Windows 7?: I know that Win7 has expired since 14.1.2020 with support, but I still want to know if you can still use it Writes good answers :-) LG I'm clearly out of updates. Kann man noch Windows 7 Benutzen?
  8. Still possible to upgrade to 10 using Windows 7 key?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Still possible to upgrade to 10 using Windows 7 key?: I want to set up my laptop to dual boot have Windows 7 already on it and I have the key. I downloaded Windows 10 ISO went through the install, but it won't accept my Windows 7 product key. I know the free upgrade offer is long past, but have seen websites that say it is still...
  9. hi i have a windos 7 key and i upgrade to windows 10 and i cant use the key

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    hi i have a windos 7 key and i upgrade to windows 10 and i cant use the key: i have a windows 7 key and now a have a windows 10 and i cant activity it using the windows 7 key. plz help https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hi-i-have-a-windos-7-key-and-i-upgrade-to-windows/ddf470d2-14c7-40bf-9590-de27adc43f5f"
  10. Can i upgrade to windows 10 for free if i have a windows 7 key

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Can i upgrade to windows 10 for free if i have a windows 7 key: So i use windows 7 and i am planning to switch to windows 10, however i don't have a key for it. but i heard people say that if you have a windows 7, 8, 8.1 installed in your computer you can get windows 10 for free. is this true? if its true, will i get a windows 10 pro...