Windows 10: I have a workaround for the "Volume increasing and/or changing after pausing a video or...

Discus and support I have a workaround for the "Volume increasing and/or changing after pausing a video or... in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; This workaround is in response to this locked thread from 2015 (and the many many many MANY threads like it since then):... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Jeff Falkenham, Aug 17, 2019.

1. I have a workaround for the "Volume increasing and/or changing after pausing a video or...

This workaround is in response to this locked thread from 2015 (and the many many many MANY threads like it since then): https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...s/e3c96541-eddb-4b71-9619-448f0f9c0d58?auth=1

There are potential solutions in that thread, but there isn't a consistent 100% fix: some of those solutions work for some people, but for other people NONE of them work.

This workaround will also solve the audio "popping/crackling" issue that happens if you leave audio power management enabled (but you should really just disable it: go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Realtek\Audio\RtkNGUI64\PowerMgnt and set "Enabled" to 0)

So, what is the workaround? Well. The issue (at least for me) only happens when you have no sound playing, and then start playing sound. If you have music or another video or etc playing when you open a new video or a new app, the volume will NOT change. So the solution is to just run silence in the background permanently while your computer is turned on. Download a program called Audacity. Generate 10 hours of silence. Go to export -> export audio -> and change the file type to FLAC, and change the compression to maximum (you can use other formats, but from what little research I did, FLAC seems decent for CPU usage compared to others, and won't take up 3 GB of space like a wave file will). Next download a lightweight audio player called foobar2000 (or use an audio player of your choosing - but remember, it will always be running, so you can't use it for anything else). Download the exe, don't get it from the store. Choose the "portable install" which stores all your settings in the install folder and not in the registry. Select a folder that does not require administrator permissions (I used a folder inside my "documents" folder). Do the minimal install (unselect the extra features). Create a shortcut for foobar2000.exe. Open your 10 hours of silence, and set it to loop. In the advanced settings you can also change it so minimizing it sends it to the tray. And if foobar2000 is actually the audio player your normally use: the portable install is standalone, so it should not interfere with your main foobar2000 installation, and they can run alongside each other.

tl;dr run 10 hours of silence on loop, permanently, and these sound issues will not pop up.

@Microsoft: maybe this will help you troubleshoot (and fix) the issue. Sound cards do something funky when idling (no sound is playing) and then mess up big time when they start playing sound again (even with power management disabled!). It has been 4 years. You can fix this so I don't have to use this janky workaround...... right? From what I understand, Realtek basically has a monopoly on on-board audio on motherboards, so even if they are partially to blame: to the average consumer with no tech knowledge, it looks bad on you. The average consumer doesn't know who Realtek is. (However, while doing my research I came across at least one person who had this same issue with a Creative sound card - so it might not be a Realtek issue at all. It might be a pure Windows issue).

I hope this helps someone. Installing Windows 10 has been a nightmare.

:)

Jeff Falkenham, Aug 17, 2019

2. Volume suddenly increases when I pause and resume a song/video!

Hello,

Since I updated to windows 10 I've been having a problem with the volume in my computer.

After I start a video/song/whatever, and then pause it, the volume will suddenly and drastically increase when resume. When I chek the volume bar it is exactely in the same place that I left it before I paused the video/song, but the actual song out of the
    speakers/headphones is much higher than the volume bar shows. Then if i decrease the volume by just a little, it returns to the inital value... If anyone has any suggestion please help. I've seen other threads with other people having the same problem and
    the solutions that microsoft community "helpers" usually propose is to run the troubleshoot on the sound card/driver and update it but i've tried everything and nothing seems to work. I have everything up to date so i don't know what else to do... I need to
    fix this problems because these sudden increases of volume will end up killing my eardrums xD

robalo.bruno8, Aug 17, 2019
  3. Rahzii Win User
    Volume randomly increases

After I start a video, the volume will suddenly increase. It will work fine until I pause and then play again. It shows no change in the volume indicator. It stays at the same volume level (25, 47, etc.) but the volume is much higher. Anyone know how to
    fix this?

Rahzii, Aug 17, 2019
  4. I have a workaround for the "Volume increasing and/or changing after pausing a video or...

Volume is increasing when media is paused and then played !

When I pause and then play media in applications , be it VLC player , Windows Media Player or any other , the volume increases automatically ! HELP PLEASE ! It is really frustrating adjusting volume very time I pause and play.

aatificial, Aug 17, 2019
Thema:

I have a workaround for the "Volume increasing and/or changing after pausing a video or...

1. I have a workaround for the "Volume increasing and/or changing after pausing a video or... - Similar Threads - workaround Volume increasing

2. Video breaks after changing Windows volume

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Video breaks after changing Windows volume: Whenever I change volume either through my headset's own slider or through my keyboard, all video and audio freeze and stop working. It's not just YouTube or Twitch, all video players stop working.I can fix it by enabling and disabling audio hardware acceleration through the...
  3. Video breaks after changing Windows volume

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Video breaks after changing Windows volume: Whenever I change volume either through my headset's own slider or through my keyboard, all video and audio freeze and stop working. It's not just YouTube or Twitch, all video players stop working.I can fix it by enabling and disabling audio hardware acceleration through the...
  4. Cannot change volume or pause videos with my Earbuds "Remote"/function keys despite having...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot change volume or pause videos with my Earbuds "Remote"/function keys despite having...: This should really be supported! It's 2022 please :cI'm not able to find a suggestions page, so I will post this here but yeah. I would like to see my pretty Modernflyouts widget for album covers appear when I change volume! I'm going to end up making a macro to do this, but...
  5. Cannot change volume or pause videos with my Earbuds "Remote"/function keys despite having...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cannot change volume or pause videos with my Earbuds "Remote"/function keys despite having...: This should really be supported! It's 2022 please :cI'm not able to find a suggestions page, so I will post this here but yeah. I would like to see my pretty Modernflyouts widget for album covers appear when I change volume! I'm going to end up making a macro to do this, but...
  6. Cannot change volume or pause videos with my Earbuds "Remote"/function keys despite having...

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  7. Audio volume changes after sound is paused

Audio volume changes after sound is paused: A pause and resume raises the volume level, although the indicated level does not change. Making any change to the volume will revert to the user's previously selected volume. This happened twice to me after Windows Update updated the device driver. The fix was to reverse...
  8. Volume suddenly increases when I pause and resume a song/video on YouTube!?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Volume suddenly increases when I pause and resume a song/video on YouTube!?: I have the Same problem as "robalo.bruno8 Volume suddenly increases when I pause and resume a song/video!" I tried what "A User," said and it did not change a thing. This started happening with the last update to Windows 10 Version 20H2....
  9. Audio volume changes after sound is paused

Audio volume changes after sound is paused: After updating the Realtek audio driver from Dell, the sound volume started increasing every time any sound started after pausing or stopping for about two seconds or more. Any adjustment of the sound volume would restore the setting - until next time. I believe this was...
  10. When pausing a youtube video sound increases on play

in Browsers and Email
    When pausing a youtube video sound increases on play: There are also volume sliders for each browser - take a look to see if those change when you pause (right-click the Windows volume tray icon->Open Volume Mixer). [img]