Windows 10: I have a working WebCam but Windows Hello is not available

Discus and support I have a working WebCam but Windows Hello is not available in Windows Hello & Lockscreen to solve the problem; Hello, I am on a computer that does not have a built in WebCam. But there is an external one. Which works fine with Teams etc. I cannot set up... Discussion in 'Windows Hello & Lockscreen' started by Veepo, Apr 11, 2021.

1. Veepo Win User

I have a working WebCam but Windows Hello is not available

Hello,

I am on a computer that does not have a built in WebCam.

But there is an external one. Which works fine with Teams etc.

I cannot set up Windows Hello.

The link does not mention compatible cameras.

So it Windows Hello a no go with external WebCams?

I have a working WebCam but Windows Hello is not available 2962bd89-7b98-484c-955c-586acba9fda4?upload=true.png

Thanking you!

:)

Veepo, Apr 11, 2021
  2. Alden Rey Win User

Windows Hello Not Available

Hi,

Windows Hello allows you to login into your system by recognizing your fingerprint or your face or your iris rather than using a pin code or a password, provided that you have a webcam and a finger scanner that work.

If you’re having “Windows Hello isn’t available on this device.” in your Settings windows. We suggest to run through the settings of the sign-in options. To do this, kindly follow the steps provided below:

Step 1: Update Your PC

First of all, make sure that you’ve installed any possible update that is available for Windows 10. See if you have needed patches installed:

• On your keyboard, press the Windows logo key and I at the same time. Click Update & security.
    • Click the Check for updates button. Install available updates found.

When you finish, move on to the second step.

Step 2: Enable Biometric from Administration

If you don’t have the administrator permission, you’re not likely to use Windows Hello on your PC. To fix it:

• On your keyboard, press the Windows logo key and R at the same time, then type gpedit.msc and press Enter.
    • Follow the path: Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components. On the right side of the pane, double-click Allow the use of biometrics.
    • Click Enabled. Then click Apply and OK to save the change.
    • Reboot your computer and then move on to the next step.

Step 3: Update Your Fingerprint Device Driver

If your fingerprint device driver is outdated or faulty, you’ll find the hardware impossible to use. You can update the device driver to fix it.

• On your keyboard, press the Windows logo key and X at the same time, and click Device Manager.
    • Click the icon for Scan for hardware changes on the top bar.
    • Expand Biometric devices. Right-click the fingerprint sensor device that you have and click Uninstall.
    • You can choose to reboot your computer for Windows to help you locate the driver that it could find for your device. Or, as an alternative, you can choose to update the driver by yourself.
      Simply follow the steps provided by Andre Da Costa on this link
      to update your drivers.

Should you need any further information, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Regards.

Alden Rey, Apr 11, 2021
  3. Webcam not working in Windows 10 Pro on Microsoft camera app and not on Skype

Hi,

Since you mentioned that you already reinstalled the driver for your webcam, we suggest that you perform these troubleshooting steps to resolve your concern:

Get back to us with the results of the suggested troubleshooting steps.

Kristoffer Abs, Apr 11, 2021
  4. Naresh_K Win User

Webcam not working

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

This issue can occur if the camera drivers are not up-to date, your anti-virus may be blocking the camera, or camera app is not installed properly. I would suggest you to follow the troubleshooting steps mentioned in the article:
    Camera does not work in Windows 10. You can also refer to the suggestion on HP article:
    HP PCs - Webcam Troubleshooting (Windows 10, 8).

If you need any further assistance, please write back with the following information:

1. What happens when you are trying to access Camera app?
    2. What is the exact error message you are getting?
    3. What is version of Windows 10 that is installed on your device?
    4. Are you using an external webcam? If yes, please help us with the make and model of the webcam.

Regards,

Naresh_K, Apr 11, 2021
Thema:

1. I have a working WebCam but Windows Hello is not available - Similar Threads - working WebCam Hello

2. Windows Hello Webcam shared

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Hello Webcam shared: Okay so what I'm attempting I can do bits and pieces of I just can't find an overall complete solution to. I have 2 desktops, 2 monitors right close to each other. One runs 11 pro, the other 10 pro. I have only 1 hello compatible webcam. What I would like to do is be able to...
  3. Windows Hello Won't Work With External Webcam

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Hello Won't Work With External Webcam: I have to open the lid of my laptop every time I sign in using Windows Hello. It appears that this issue is several years old and Microsoft has not still fixed it?...
  4. Windows Hello Won't Work With External Webcam

Windows Hello Won't Work With External Webcam: I have to open the lid of my laptop every time I sign in using Windows Hello. It appears that this issue is several years old and Microsoft has not still fixed it?...
  5. Windows Hello compatible Webcam

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Windows Hello compatible Webcam: Hey, I am a user of Windows 10 and 11, I am trying to find a windows hello compatible camera under $45 as logitech brio and others are a bit expensive. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-hello-compatible-webcam/05466f4c-473e-4248-adbf-42fd9fe20b17
  6. windows hello in windows 11 not working on external webcam

in Windows 10 Gaming
    windows hello in windows 11 not working on external webcam: I have a new laptop and in setting it up it downloaded Windows 11, which I set up nicely. All good - except I use an external monitor, mouse, keyboard, webcam when not travelling. The webcam does not work with windows hello. Even though I set it up as the default camera, when...
  7. windows hello in windows 11 not working on external webcam

windows hello in windows 11 not working on external webcam: I have a new laptop and in setting it up it downloaded Windows 11, which I set up nicely. All good - except I use an external monitor, mouse, keyboard, webcam when not travelling. The webcam does not work with windows hello. Even though I set it up as the default camera, when...
  8. I have a webcam; why can't I use Windows Hello Face?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    I have a webcam; why can't I use Windows Hello Face?: Do I need a special kind of webcam to use it? submitted by /u/ekolis [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/g0r5sk/i_have_a_webcam_why_cant_i_use_windows_hello_face/
  9. Webcams will not work in Windows 10. The Driver is 'the best available'

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Webcams will not work in Windows 10. The Driver is 'the best available': For most of last year I have not be able to get webcams to work in Windows 10. I am told the drivers are the best available. What can I do?...
  10. webcam /windows hello

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    webcam /windows hello: When trying to open webcam, or set up windows hello receiving this error code 0xa00f4249(0XC00D5212) it's an Alienware 17r4 [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-hardware/webcam-windows-hello/e35a48f3-e179-4b7b-a74a-9aff447c2c60