Windows 10: I have an HP laptop and I had to buy an external hard drive

Discus and support I have an HP laptop and I had to buy an external hard drive in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; USB3.1 was required, which I believe I have - so why, when I try to use it, do I get an error message?? The whole reason for my buying the external... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by JonathanGiudice, Apr 9, 2021.

1. I have an HP laptop and I had to buy an external hard drive

USB3.1 was required, which I believe I have - so why, when I try to use it, do I get an error message?? The whole reason for my buying the external hard drive was to free up space - so what to do - I am absolutely disgusted!

:)

JonathanGiudice, Apr 9, 2021
  2. Remon Ont Win User

External Hard Drive

Hi John,

We suggest that you try the troubleshooting steps below:

• Open your External Hard Drive file in File Explorer.
    • Type the name of the file you want to search on the search box and click Enter.
    The file will show up in Search Results and you will be able to move it to the correct folder.

Let us know if you need further help.

Remon Ont, Apr 9, 2021
  3. Marco Gav Win User
    unrecognised external hard drive on Windows 10

Since you already reinstalled the drivers of the External Hard Drive, let's run the
    Hardware and Devices troubleshooter as it can resolve your concern. You can do that by following these steps:

• Press the Start button.

• Type and select Troubleshooting.

• Click on View all on the left panel.

• Select and run the Hardware and Devices troubleshooter.

If the Hardware and Devices troubleshooter doesn’t resolve your concern, we suggest that you change the letter of the External Hard Drive. You can do that by following these steps:

• Press the Start button.

• Type and select Control panel.

• Select System and Security.

• Select Administrative Tools, and a new window will appear.

• Double-click Computer Management, and a new window will appear.

• Select Disk Management that is located under
      Storage
      in the left pane.

• Right click on the External Hard Drive that is not showing on the File Explorer.

• Select Change letter and network path, and a new window will appear.

• Select Change, and choose the letter that you want for the External Hard Drive.

After changing the letter of the External Hard Drive, we suggest that you reboot your laptop for the changes to take effect.

Let us know how it goes.

Regards.

Marco Gav, Apr 9, 2021
  4. twynog Win User

I have an HP laptop and I had to buy an external hard drive

External hard drive not recognised

Thanks for this. I've done what you suggested and been through all the steps mentioned in the article. The hard drive works fine on a Mac computer, and I've managed to copy the information on it. It must be a Surface issue so I'll try to get a chat line tomorrow.

twynog, Apr 9, 2021
Thema:

I have an HP laptop and I had to buy an external hard drive

1. I have an HP laptop and I had to buy an external hard drive - Similar Threads - laptop buy external

2. I have several external hard drives with power supplies

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I have several external hard drives with power supplies: Since Windows 10 and 11 came out, none of the ones with their own power supplies will be recognized by the computer. Why not? I'll use the same data cable, and it's fine as long as the drive has no other power supply. How do I get the drives to work?...
  3. I have had to renew my hard drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I have had to renew my hard drive: Any help thanks I have had to renew my hard drive in my computer I have my windows 11 key and my office 2019 key used the usb to install windows and used my office 2019 on my computer all went well until i tried to put office key in and it said it was already on another...
  4. I have had to renew my hard drive

I have had to renew my hard drive: Any help thanks I have had to renew my hard drive in my computer I have my windows 11 key and my office 2019 key used the usb to install windows and used my office 2019 on my computer all went well until i tried to put office key in and it said it was already on another...
  5. I have a hp stream laptop and I was wondering if I could be able to buy a hard drive for it...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I have a hp stream laptop and I was wondering if I could be able to buy a hard drive for it...: I bought a hp laptop back in May of this year and I was wondering if I would buy a hard drive for it to have more storage or space to download games?...
  6. I have a hp stream laptop and I was wondering if I could be able to buy a hard drive for it...

I have a hp stream laptop and I was wondering if I could be able to buy a hard drive for it...: I bought a hp laptop back in May of this year and I was wondering if I would buy a hard drive for it to have more storage or space to download games?...
  7. I have had the misfortune of having a hard drive crash

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I have had the misfortune of having a hard drive crash: I had to reload windows and rebuild my alienware laptop. fs 2020 is gone. I have reinstalled everything, and have gotten into "Microsoft games" and in my library it shows i have purchased fs 2020, but i cannot download it again.... help????...
  8. External hard drive says I don't have access

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    External hard drive says I don't have access: I have a brand new surface pro 7 and when I tried to open my removable hard drive it says I don't have access and I don't understand the instructions on how to gain access. Please help or let me know where to go for help. Thanks...
  9. I don't have permission my external hard drive.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    I don't have permission my external hard drive.: I can't download or change anything inside my hard drive. Everytime i try to do so i get the Message "You dont have permission to do this" even though i am admin on my PC. This is the 2nd time i have this problem, last time i just formated the Whole disk and it worked fine...
  10. App I had is not longer installed and I have to buy it?

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    App I had is not longer installed and I have to buy it?: When I purchased by Surface Pro, it had drawboard on it - found this useful. I have recently had my screen replaced under the "flickering screen" and now it not on there automatically (I did not back it up as I thought it was automatically included). But now if I want to...