Windows 10: I have an old hard drive from a laptop with Windows installed. I plan on using it as a...

Discus and support I have an old hard drive from a laptop with Windows installed. I plan on using it as a... in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I'm getting a caddy to replace my current dvd drive and to expand my storage. Since i have an old unused laptop i wanna use its drive as my expanded... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/FunAnt, Jan 15, 2021.

1. /u/FunAnt Win User

I have an old hard drive from a laptop with Windows installed. I plan on using it as a...

I'm getting a caddy to replace my current dvd drive and to expand my storage. Since i have an old unused laptop i wanna use its drive as my expanded storage. Thing is old laptop has no battery or charger so I cant log into it.

The drive works since I can use a sata to usb wire to go into it and get old files off of it, but I wanna wipe it clean so i can use every single bite of space off it. It seems like such a waste for me to delete the genuine copy of windows off of it. Is it possible to "harvest" the activation code off of it? Do I need to boot into it to do that?

submitted by /u/FunAnt
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/FunAnt, Jan 15, 2021
  2. dhdude Win User

Replacing old hard drive, need way to copy Windows installation across

Hey Guys,
    What would be the best way of copying/imaging the entire contents of an old system drive over to a replacement hard disk for the same machine? I need to copy the Windows installations and all other data to the new drive, and then format the old drive to use as a backup.

Any suggestions? *Smile I have an old hard drive from a laptop with Windows installed. I plan on using it as a... :)

dhdude, Jan 15, 2021
  3. little cat, Jan 15, 2021
  4. I have an old hard drive from a laptop with Windows installed. I plan on using it as a...

Laptop hard drive upgrade

If you ghost the OS from disk to disk with the same system it should work fine. Thing is you have to GHOST the disk, including the MBR or it won't be bootable. Any other normal laptop drive should work as long as the connections the same.

If you cannot make a backup install CD, you'll likely need to locate a windows install CD, unless you can ghost the drive. Thats pretty much your only options atm.

Dippyskoodlez, Jan 15, 2021
Thema:

I have an old hard drive from a laptop with Windows installed. I plan on using it as a...

1. I have an old hard drive from a laptop with Windows installed. I plan on using it as a... - Similar Threads - old hard drive

2. Use old HDD from old laptop as an external drive?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Use old HDD from old laptop as an external drive?: Hey there, this is my first time writing/asking here, so any response would be appreciated :So I have an old laptop of mine, an Asus A42J with 4GB of ram and 150GB of HDD. My plan is upgrading the HDD to an SSD, but I don't really want to backup anything from my HDD because...
  3. Use old HDD from old laptop as an external drive?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Use old HDD from old laptop as an external drive?: Hey there, this is my first time writing/asking here, so any response would be appreciated :So I have an old laptop of mine, an Asus A42J with 4GB of ram and 150GB of HDD. My plan is upgrading the HDD to an SSD, but I don't really want to backup anything from my HDD because...
  4. Use old HDD from old laptop as an external drive?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Essue of Hard drive replcement with old laptop's hard drive

Essue of Hard drive replcement with old laptop's hard drive: I have replced my laptop's hard drive with the hard drive of my old laptope. I tried to reinstall window from a dvd but my laptope show error that.. "you are using a already runing hard drive so window can not be install and i may not work on this pc.. Please insert back...
  6. Installed my old hard drive; it's read-only and locked. I have the password but I can't...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Installed my old hard drive; it's read-only and locked. I have the password but I can't...: Hi! I'm in a bit of a pickle. So, a weird glitch happened to my laptop which basically erased the maximum gigabytes by about 50--it's a long story and cut short, I ended up just putting in my old SSHD drive to compensate for the lost memory. At first it boot up to that drive...
  7. using old hard drives

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    using old hard drives: I have two 500 gb ssd's on my old pc that I used for file storage and games. Can I take those out of my old pc and hook them up in my new pc? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/using-old-hard-drives/2db83d2f-0c2c-4d23-80e5-623fbc526676"
  8. Can I install an old hard drive from an old computer on a new computer?

Can I install an old hard drive from an old computer on a new computer?: I have a 640 GB HDD from my old computer and would like to know if I can install it on my new desktop without issues. The connections match but not sure if the new computer will try and booth-up from the old hard drive. the new computer is running Window 10. Can anyone let...
  9. reinstalling windows 10 on a new SSD hard drive from my old hard drive. i have no...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    reinstalling windows 10 on a new SSD hard drive from my old hard drive. i have no...: reinstalling windows 10 on a new SSD hard drive from my old hard drive. i have no installation disk https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/reinstalling-windows-10-on-a-new-ssd-hard-drive/499e6420-936f-446c-a65a-9c590dfb6e3b
  10. I have taken out a hard drive from my old pc on the hard drive is windows 7 so if i plug it...

I have taken out a hard drive from my old pc on the hard drive is windows 7 so if i plug it...: If I plug an old hard drive from an old pc into my new windows 10 computer will it change to windows 7? As that is what is currently on the hard drive...