Windows 10: I have been compromised by a fake Chrome Security update

Discus and support I have been compromised by a fake Chrome Security update in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Hi everyone, I was able to confirm this is a fake Chrome Security Update prompt I unfortunately clicked on due to being in the rush. Right after... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Arese, Jul 13, 2020.

1. Arese Win User

I have been compromised by a fake Chrome Security update

Hi everyone,

I was able to confirm this is a fake Chrome Security Update prompt I unfortunately clicked on due to being in the rush. Right after Chrome became unstable and kept crashing.

See the prompt

I have been compromised by a fake Chrome Security update [​IMG]

Can someone identify what type of malware/virus was installed on my system?
    Will this virus only affect Chrome files or can it spread to windows system files and compromise the whole system

If I know what type of virus is exactly is I can look at the right location.

Actions I have taken:

- Deleted Chrome (chrome was installed across 2 sessions, I'm wondering if it can affect my 2nd session)
    - Ran a malwarebyte scan which returned 2 potential threat which I quarantined. See below results of the scan:

Malwarebyteswww.malwarebytes.com-Log Details-Scan Date: 7/13/20Scan Time: 11:31 AMThreats Detected: 2Threats Quarantined: 2Time Elapsed: 1 min, 35 secFile: 2PUP.Optional.BundleInstaller, C:\USERS\XXXX\DOWNLOADS\UTORRENT.EXE, Quarantined, 512, 790622, 1.0.26745, , ame, Adware.FusionCore, C:\USERS\XXXX\DOWNLOADS\FILEZILLA_3.46.0_WIN64_SPONSORED-SETUP.EXE, Quarantined, 7413, 767959, 1.0.26745, , ame, Any thoughts?

- - - Updated - - -

Furthermore I have just launched CCcleaner custom clean.
    Went under the tab Application and ticked all the boxes pertaining to Chrome (internet cache, history, cookies, dl history, sessions, saved forms, saved passwords and compact database.

It found and deleted a bunch of data under C:\Users\ME\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\GPU cache

Anything else I should delete?

:)

Arese, Jul 13, 2020

2. I received a pop-up security message that my computer's security had been compromised.

On new (for me) reconditioned ACER certified laptop I received last week, I received a pop-up message that my computer's

security had been compromised. I paid "365VSERVE" $99 to clean my computer. Was 365VSERVE the originator of the scam or did they fraudulently benefit from the scam? I sent a formal request to the Microsoft security team with this question but have not
    received any communication about my concerns.

VanceSnyder, Jul 13, 2020
  3. Solaris17 Win User
    "Fake" adblockers affect 20m+ chrome users

This is the importance of doing some research and not installing the first thing you see at the top of the list. I am sure this also goes for other browsers as well. Either way, education is always key. Read the article below.

Over 20,000,000 of Chrome Users are Victims of Fake Ad Blockers

Solaris17, Jul 13, 2020
  4. I have been compromised by a fake Chrome Security update

Chrome glitch

Hello Ralph,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

As per the issue description on one of the three users Chrome is not working.
    I would appreciate if you can provide us the following information to help us understand the issue better.

• The account on which you are facing issue with Chrome, does it have the administrator permission?
    • Have you check with other browser? Was the result same?
    • Is the issue specific to only one application or facing issue with other application too?

First, I would suggest you to use Internet Explorer and see if it brings any difference.
    Here are the steps through which you can use Internet Explorer.

• Press the Windows key.

• Type Internet Explorer in the search box.

• Right click on Internet Explorer
      (Desktop app).

• Select Pint to task bar.

• Try to use Internet Explorer from there and see if it brings any difference.

If you still want to use Chrome then I would suggest you to open the application Chrome in administrator mode and see if it brings any difference. Here are the steps through which you can open Chrome in Administrator mode.

• Press the Windows key or click on Start icon.
    • Type Google Chrome.
    • Right click on Google Chrome and select the option to Run As Administrator.
    • If everything works fine by running chrome in administrator mode then you may pin it to the task bar.

Hope this would help. If issue still persists post back with current status of your computer and result of the proposed suggestion, we will be happy to assist you.

Regards,

Ramesh.Kumar, Jul 13, 2020
Thema:

I have been compromised by a fake Chrome Security update

1. I have been compromised by a fake Chrome Security update - Similar Threads - been compromised fake

2. Home-Security Compromised - webcams

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Home-Security Compromised - webcams: Dear all,I think i have a serious issue.I used 6x Trust 18679 Trino webcams as my Home Surveilence system.For some reason, that i cant figure out yet, the App i was using to record the feed from the cameras, stopped recognizing them.Insisting the camera is in use when i know...
  3. Home-Security Compromised - webcams

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Home-Security Compromised - webcams: Dear all,I think i have a serious issue.I used 6x Trust 18679 Trino webcams as my Home Surveilence system.For some reason, that i cant figure out yet, the App i was using to record the feed from the cameras, stopped recognizing them.Insisting the camera is in use when i know...
  4. Home-Security Compromised - webcams

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. Hello. I have long thought i have been hacked/laptop compromised.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Hello. I have long thought i have been hacked/laptop compromised.: I have the last 6months had a feeling someone have been using my laptop when i was at work. I could see in log that someone logged into my computer when i was not there. I have a feeling my girlfriend got someone to tamper with my PC, thought she denies it. ofc she would .I...
  6. Hello. I have long thought i have been hacked/laptop compromised.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Hello. I have long thought i have been hacked/laptop compromised.: I have the last 6months had a feeling someone have been using my laptop when i was at work. I could see in log that someone logged into my computer when i was not there. I have a feeling my girlfriend got someone to tamper with my PC, thought she denies it. ofc she would .I...
  7. Website Security Compromise Question

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Website Security Compromise Question: Hello all, Today I was going onto Facebook throughout the morning. The way I was getting to Facebook was through chrome and in the address box I was just typing in "Facebook", which would bring me to the google search of "Facebook." I was then clicking the first result upon...
  8. My email has been compromised

My email has been compromised: Whilst remotely connected to our server, I received two emails from a colleague, I replied to them and as we have read receipts turned on, my two receipts were received by the sender from different countries in Africa. Our network administrator is clearing up my account and...
  9. Email has been compromised

Email has been compromised: I suddenly had all my email sent to deleted and now I have to go to the deleted emails to read my emails. I am not getting anything on Inbox anymore. It all started after a dropbox email was sent from my email supposedly to like 20 email contacts, it then got all messed up...
  10. Fake Security Breach Phonecalls

Fake Security Breach Phonecalls: I keep getting these phone calls from people with Indian accents claiming to be Micrsoft Security technicians calling to clear up a breach in my computer's security. I just got a call at 4:49 pm 2.4.19 from 1-800-892-5234. They keep calling from different numbers. I know...