Windows 10: I have changed the used folder name and lost data desktop, startmenu, ..

Discus and support I have changed the used folder name and lost data desktop, startmenu, .. in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; This is the process i followedchanged folder name from Laksh --> lakshmi_narayana1. changed the name of user folder in file explorer by switching... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by LakshmiNarayana Ravada, Jul 29, 2021.

1. I have changed the used folder name and lost data desktop, startmenu, ..

This is the process i followedchanged folder name from Laksh --> lakshmi_narayana1. changed the name of user folder in file explorer by switching Administrator2. changed the path in Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList3. changed the name in netplwiz after this i lost my data on desktop, startmenucmd,controlpanel is not being shown in startmenu, .....i hope there would be some way to recover this data. -- here are some screenshots -- Please suggest some way to recover it

:)

LakshmiNarayana Ravada, Jul 29, 2021
  2. ysan Win User

How to Change Folder Icons in StartMenu?

Wow , Edwin , I posted same subject feww days ago how did you do that ? ( I suggested this path too C:\Windows\SystemApps\Microsoft.Windows.FileExplorer_cw5n1h2txyewy\Assets
    but no change after editing 6 folders png )

Could you please detail how you did ?

3. gabbydgar Win User
    Folder in Favorites lost

Had a folder in IE favorites named xxxxx favorites with many items in it. Don't know what I may have done but it is gone from the list. When I try to create a new folder it tells me that there is one already there, but it is not. Any suggestion where I might find the lost folder or how to restore it.

gabbydgar, Jul 29, 2021
  4. I have changed the used folder name and lost data desktop, startmenu, ..

Startmenu not "updating"

Hey,

I got the following problem:

• Newly installed Programs/Apps will not show up in the startmenu
    • Programs/Shortcuts I add to the Startmenu folders want show in my startmenu
    • Startmenu search won't find the new items either, even not if they are pinned to the startmenu

What I have tried to fix my problem:

• Rebuilding my search index
    • Reinstalling all windows apps, including cortana
    • Try to locate the issue with the System File Checker (sfc /scannow) ⇒ nothing found
    • Running the troubleshooter ⇒ returns "incorrect permissions on Windows Search directoriers"
      • changed the default Search folder where the index is saved
      • checked permissions for the Search folder (seems ok)

What I think initially caused the error:

• I switched from German to English on my Win10 PC
      • I then realised that a lot of my searchable windows settings still showed inGerman and not in English and were in addition not clickable anymore (nothing happended)
      • I could not fix the issue so I switched back to German
      • This made the Win10 settings searchable and clickable again, but since then my Startmenu seems to be stuck on its old index
    I am running Windows 10 Education with the Anniversary Update - which for me removed Cortana (maybe this issue is connected?)

Any help or advise?

Ciaran Baulig, Jul 29, 2021
Thema:

I have changed the used folder name and lost data desktop, startmenu, ..

1. I have changed the used folder name and lost data desktop, startmenu, .. - Similar Threads - changed used folder

2. Change the name of account and folder name.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Change the name of account and folder name.: I am in the process of setting up a Windows PC. I noticed that after I went through the prompts to begin using windows and signing on to my Microsoft account that I have a user in my local folders called c:\users\kenp1. I do not want to use that name, but I can't find...
  3. Lost folders and data

Lost folders and data: Last week I did a clean Windows 10 install from an Installation Media drive after a crash. Windows 8.1 OS with Windows 10 upgrade had been there before. None of my data folders and files were reinstalled. I have restored most from backed up sources, but something is always...
  4. How to Change Folder Icons in StartMenu?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to Change Folder Icons in StartMenu?: is it possible? or does Anyone knows how i change those Icons there? (marked RED).. I want to change them systemwide not one by one.. if that is possible, like changing the ICO in the DLLs for example, but i couldnt find this ICO in any of those DLLs.. Anyone knows wich ico...
  5. lost desktop folder

lost desktop folder: I moved the desktop folder to OneDrive and now OneDrive folder contents are displayed on the desktop https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/lost-desktop-folder/46138ec7-d489-43e9-80e1-c37873e03193
  6. Lost User Folder/Data

Lost User Folder/Data: Hi! Please pardon my total and complete ignorance! I noticed my user folder name was truncated or so I thought from Gaston to Gasto . I tried renaming it and ended up having to reload all my apps and links. that didn't work. I noticed it was truncated to "gasto" again...
  7. Public Desktop Folder Name

Public Desktop Folder Name: "Under users\Public Folder I have a folder with the name of : "Desktop" Should that Be "Public Desktop"? In the Desktop folder there is a "Desktop.ini" file which contains: [.ShellClassInfo] LocalizedResourceName=@%SystemRoot%\system32\shell32.dll,-21799 I looked up...
  8. Changing file name changes the folder name AND cannot find the folder

in Windows 10 Support
    Changing file name changes the folder name AND cannot find the folder: Two odd things are happen to my files: 1. Changing only the file name in explorer changes the folder name 2. I cannot locate the directory (possibly a library) Here's what is happening in explorer: I search for the text OLD, the results come up: file=IMG_3654.JPG folder...
  9. Pictures and Desktop folder both named 'Documents' and I can't change the name.

Pictures and Desktop folder both named 'Documents' and I can't change the name.: Hi there, Today I thought I would get round to the task of moving my user files (documents, downloads, pictures etc) to my second hard drive. However, for some reason, my pictures and desktop folder have been renamed to 'documents' and I can't rename them. I have tried...
  10. User's Name Desktop Folder changed it's name to "Folders"

User's Name Desktop Folder changed it's name to "Folders": I have a problem with my User Folder. Actually the User Folder name is fine, but when you add the Folder on the desktop (with the option on Personalize + Themes) it changed it's name to "Folders" I've tried creating new users, but every new user I create, no matter how...