Windows 10: I have Cortana disabled yet it is still using CPU strenuously.

Discus and support I have Cortana disabled yet it is still using CPU strenuously. in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I have Cortana disable via the registry hack; yet task manager is reporting that Cortana is largely robbing the CPU percentage and pegging my CPU at... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by EyeInTheSky, Sep 9, 2019.

1. I have Cortana disabled yet it is still using CPU strenuously.

I have Cortana disable via the registry hack; yet task manager is reporting that Cortana is largely robbing the CPU percentage and pegging my CPU at times to its limits.

If I understand correctly, the Cortana and Search feature are combined; but I wasn't even using the search feature when checking the task manager for reasons as to why my computer was lagging with even the simplest of tasks such as opening a jump list or notepad.

Here is a screen shot of the task manager:

I have Cortana disabled yet it is still using CPU strenuously. [​IMG]

Here is what my search looks like when I click the search magnifying glass symbol in my task bar; but remember, when I took the screen shot of the task manager that reflected Cortana's CPU usage, I didn't even have this search field active and it was through the roof on CPU usage:

Can anyone confirm that has Cortana disabled like me by way of the registry hack, that the CPU usage for Cortana is still present when disabled?

I tried ending the task in Task Manager, but it always regenerated in a couple of seconds and resumed using my CPU usage at an alarming rate of 60% or more.

:)

EyeInTheSky, Sep 9, 2019

2. Cortana

Hi,

Thank you for posting your question in the Microsoft Community.

Appreciate your efforts to work on this issue.

This issue can occur if some of the system files are not working as expected.

Suggest you to follow the steps from this article to
    troubleshoot Cortana on the PC

Note: Do not go with the ‘Reset PC’ option for now.

Method 1: Follow these steps to disable Cortana:

1. Sign-in to the PC with your Microsoft account.
    2. In the search box at the bottom, type Disable Cortana.
    3. Once the suggestions appear in the list, click Cortana & Search settings.
    4. From the right section of the Settings pane, move the top button to ‘Off’ to disable Cortana from Windows 10.

Method 2: Follow these steps to check if that helps.

1. Launch Cortana from the search bar on the taskbar.
    2. Then, from the left pane click the settings button.
    3. Under "Cortana" (the first option) and slide the pill switch to the ‘Off’ position.

Method 3: Launch the Settings app and click on Privacy. Navigate to Speech, inking, & typing, and click Stop getting to know me. These steps will disable Cortana.

Hope this helps.

Let us know if you got the help you needed.

Regards,

Srimadhwa B

Microsoft Community-Moderator

Srimadhwa_B, Sep 9, 2019
  3. Try0x101 Win User
    Cortana search filter list

I have a lot of space for display content in Cortana search list, and 80% of it not used because Cortana sorting items by types.
    How disable all filters and make visible all suggested content?

Try0x101, Sep 9, 2019
  4. Dewdrop_ Win User

I have Cortana disabled yet it is still using CPU strenuously.

Cortana Notebook

In order to enable the Notebook icon in Cortana, I suggest you to check if you have enabled Cortana.

To enable Cortana, please follow the steps below:

• Go to Cortana.
    • Go to Settings.
    • Turn on “Cortana can give you suggestions, ideas, reminders, alerts”.

Hope this helps.

Dewdrop_, Sep 9, 2019
Thema:

I have Cortana disabled yet it is still using CPU strenuously.

1. I have Cortana disabled yet it is still using CPU strenuously. - Similar Threads - Cortana disabled yet

2. Cortana disabled, but cortana processes still wants to connect to internet.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cortana disabled, but cortana processes still wants to connect to internet.: Hi, I have disabled all cortana features in settings and O&O shutup 10, but the cortana processes is still establishing connections.How do I proceed to fully uninstall it?If I need an assistant, I will hire one....
  3. Cortana is using 100% utilization in CPU

in Cortana
    Cortana is using 100% utilization in CPU: Hello! I got a problem with one of my devices. After upgrading the PC to 20H1 from 1909, Cortana always seems to be using 100% of the CPU, causing huge noises in the fan and throttling the performance. Is there is a method to fix this problem? Specifications Intel Core i7...
  4. Cortana Uses 30% CPU

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Cortana Uses 30% CPU: How do I stop Cortana from using so much CPU? It's causing problems with games and videos. The only clue I've found is that if I end the Cortana task in Task Manager, Cortana restarts and subsequently suspends itself. 139787
  5. Cortana Uses 30% CPU

in Windows 10 Support
    Cortana Uses 30% CPU: How do I stop Cortana from using so much CPU? It's causing problems with games and videos. The only clue I've found is that if I end the Cortana task in Task Manager, Cortana restarts and subsequently suspends itself. 139787
  6. CPU usage Averages >20% and CPU >40% yet Exploerer.exe still crashes

in Windows 10 Support
    CPU usage Averages >20% and CPU >40% yet Exploerer.exe still crashes: So I don't know if this is a Win 10 Pro broken update or A virus or something, but for the longest time I can hardly access the usual controls in right clicking the directories of a USB or Hard Drive within windows explorer without crashing the entire desktop. I did a I did a...
  7. Even after disabling Cortana, it is still using network, anyway to stop that?!

in Cortana
    Even after disabling Cortana, it is still using network, anyway to stop that?!: [ATTACH] I had Windows 10 Home and this issue wasn't occurring. Last night I decided to freshly install Windows 10 Pro version and since then I am seeing this Cortana in the App history using Network that never happened to do in Windows 10 Home. Is there anyway to stop this...
  8. How do I disable Cortana and still use the search function?

in Cortana
    How do I disable Cortana and still use the search function?: I have no use for Cortana. It is a burden on my system with no benefit for me. How do I disable it and maintain the search function? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-disable-cortana-and-still-use-the-search/6eed2ac0-b8e9-436c-b61d-f725949fb9ef"
  9. Disable Cortana using gpedit but process still running after reboot.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Disable Cortana using gpedit but process still running after reboot.: I expected gpedit setting to kill the process, but it hasn't. Is this usual? Any other ways to stop it? 84610
  10. Why is the disabled Cortana still running ?

in Windows 10 Support
    Why is the disabled Cortana still running ?: Hi there I have disabled Cortana but it still runs in the background. [img] Anyone know why ? and can it be disabled completely ? zoo 24943

Users found this page by searching for:

1. cortana using to much cpu on only 1 user account