Windows 10: I have D Drive and D System Folder - Want to get rid of System Folder

Discus and support I have D Drive and D System Folder - Want to get rid of System Folder in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I'm attaching a screenshot with notes - it will tell you/show you better than I can explain here. Bottom line, I wanted my Pictures folder on Drive D... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by hooked, Mar 17, 2016.

1. hooked Win User

I have D Drive and D System Folder - Want to get rid of System Folder

I'm attaching a screenshot with notes - it will tell you/show you better than I can explain here.
    Bottom line, I wanted my Pictures folder on Drive D - not C. My goal was/is to have all Data files on drive D and all Windows and config type files on drive C.
    I have just one physical drive, but partitioned it so D was about 65% and C about 35% of a 1TB drive.

When I created the Pictures folder on D, Windowss 10 Pro asked me a couple of weird questions, but I just said, Whatever Microsoft!! and went ahead.
    I've not really had any problems, but it's a bit confusing to do a list of This PC and see both the D drive and the D system folder.
    I've just made a restore point, and I'm going to try to delete the system folder, logged in as Admin. But I want to hear you guys and your thoughts before I proceed.

Thanks,
    I have D Drive and D System Folder - Want to get rid of System Folder [​IMG]

:)

hooked, Mar 17, 2016

2. Windows 10 wants to "redirect" Pictures folder into Music folder on external drive -

or it refuses to move the Pictures folder at all.

I have already moved the system folder for Music to the external drive, so long ago that I don't remember the details. I want to move the system folder for Pictures on the external drive. I'm using the location tab of "properties", and browsed to the drive,
    selecting it. The location shows as "D:\". I okay the move, then a message appears:

Folder Redirection

Do you want to redirect folder "Pictures" into another system folder "Music", located at "D:\"? If you proceed with redirection you will not be able to separate them or restore default location.

Do you still want to proceed with redirection?

Apparently I'm given the choice of merging the two system folders or not moving the Pictures system folder at all. D drive has more than enough room on it for these two system folders to live comfortably. There are also some file folders on the drive,
    but plenty of space.

Is there some reason the OS thinks this external drive (which is connected 98% of the time), is consumed by the Music system folder, so that the only option is to merge the two?

I won't go ahead with the move under those circumstances. I've read that this has unfortunate consequences and isn't easily reversed.

I'm guessing that I might be able to move the Pictures system folder if I move it to another folder on the drive, as in "D:/Annoyed, not just "D:/", but I'm trying to do away with clutter, not add another layer.

Is there a way to move the system folder "Pictures" to the drive "D:/", and have it reside as a separate folder from the system folder "Music", already located on the drive?

sam8988378, Mar 17, 2016
  3. Windows 10 wants to "redirect" Pictures folder into Music folder on external drive -

I'm wondering if there's some uncertain status going on in the D drive which is driving the confusion. The Music folder in D drive doesn't have system folder status. I was debating giving it system folder status, via attrib
    +s “D:Music” from the cmd line. My thinking was that maybe it would give the Music folder boundaries, allowing space for the Pictures system folder. I set a system restore point for C drive, then decided to turn on and set a system restore point for the
    external D drive. I noticed that D drive was represented by the same icon as the Music folder.

In Windows Explorer, this drive is FreeAgent GoFlex Drive (D). The note icon is associated only with the non-system folder Music.

Why would the Music icon be representing the D drive in system restore? Is this confusion a possible reason why I'm having trouble moving the Pictures system folder to D?

This is starting to look like an onion, so many layers.

sam8988378, Mar 17, 2016
  4. I have D Drive and D System Folder - Want to get rid of System Folder

You don't need to mess with moving folders around. Just create a folder for the photos on D and store them there. I keep none of my user data on the C drive on three computers I use. All had D drives, either physical or partitioned, and I keep everything there, in folder such as Photos, Documents, Downloads, Music, etc.

DeaconFrost, Mar 17, 2016
  5. *Ditto I have Documents, Pictures, Music, etc folders on my D drive and just use the location tab on each of those folders in C:\Users\Kerry to move them to that location.

alphanumeric, Mar 17, 2016
  6. hooked Win User
    You guys are missing my issue.
    Look at the screenshot again. I have a D drive and I also have a D system folder - with an icon that belongs on the "Pictures" folder.
    I'd like for that D System folder to go away.

hooked, Mar 18, 2016
  7. NavyLCDR New Member
    If you change the "official" storage location for something like the Pictures user library, Windows 10 is going to treat the new location like part of the operating system. For example if you try to create a system image or enable file history, you won't be able to use that physical drive that D: drive is on to do it, because Windows 10 considers it part of the OS and it won't let you back up the OS to part of the OS itself.

I have D Drive and D System Folder - Want to get rid of System Folder [​IMG]

NavyLCDR, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

I have D Drive and D System Folder - Want to get rid of System Folder

1. I have D Drive and D System Folder - Want to get rid of System Folder - Similar Threads - Drive System Folder

2. Files and folders in D drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Files and folders in D drive: Hello,I have a new desktop computer with Windows 11 22H2 with a 1/4 T SSD drive C: and a full T hard drive D:.I am confused by file and folder icons. Can I move, or delete, or rename folders in the D drive without screwinganything up?Mark...
  3. Files and folders in D drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Files and folders in D drive: Hello,I have a new desktop computer with Windows 11 22H2 with a 1/4 T SSD drive C: and a full T hard drive D:.I am confused by file and folder icons. Can I move, or delete, or rename folders in the D drive without screwinganything up?Mark...
  4. Operating System on D drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Operating System on D drive: I somehow partitioned the drive and now all files are on D:. Of course the laptop won't boot up.Can I merely copy all files from D: to C: and delete D? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/operating-system-on-d-drive/bc606cfb-d323-4662-bdde-e011a75d8209
  5. Operating System on D drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Operating System on D drive: I somehow partitioned the drive and now all files are on D:. Of course the laptop won't boot up.Can I merely copy all files from D: to C: and delete D? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/operating-system-on-d-drive/bc606cfb-d323-4662-bdde-e011a75d8209
  6. non removable folder on my D Drive non-system drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    non removable folder on my D Drive non-system drive: Hi Microsoft, I want to express my extreme frustration on your Xbox app creating several freaking non-removable folder on my backup drive D: as follow:- - Programfiles - WindowsApps - WpSystem I suspect those folder were there because I have located the xbox gamepass...
  7. giant folder in d drive

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    giant folder in d drive: Hi! So there is a folder in my d drive named my laptop name. I tried to delete it today but decided to cancel halfway through, in case it would damage my computer. The icon doesn't have a normal folder icon, instead it's a disc above what looks like a hard drive with a green...
  8. (1909) Can't get rid of "SystemRestore" folder on D: Drive.

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    (1909) Can't get rid of "SystemRestore" folder on D: Drive.: So I have had this issue for quite a while now and I thought it was going to resolve on its own but it has been a year and nothing I've done has successfully allowed me to delete this folder that I obviously do not need no more. The story goes like this: I had to do an...
  9. RE: SYSTEM owns User folder on drive D

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    RE: SYSTEM owns User folder on drive D: Re-Post Folks: I recently installed Win10 on a C SSD and set a D hard drive for my data. I have assigned default save to be D. FYI, I do have a C:\User\[name]\Documents, Pictures, etc. also. However, I found that on my drive D, there is a D:\[name]\Documents, Pictures,...
  10. RE: SYSTEM owns User folder on drive D

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    RE: SYSTEM owns User folder on drive D: Folks: I recently installed Win10 on a C SSD and set a D hard drive for my data. I have assigned default save to be D. FYI, I do have a C:\User\[name]\Documents, Pictures, etc. also. However, I found that on my drive D, there is a D:\[name]\Documents, Pictures, etc. So I...