Windows 10: I have lost hours of work multiple times due to Windows updating and rebooting.

Discus and support I have lost hours of work multiple times due to Windows updating and rebooting. in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; How can I stop Windows 10 from updating my computer. I do not agree to windows updating and rebooting without my permission. This is my computer. I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by jmsp, Aug 13, 2019.

1. jmsp Win User

I have lost hours of work multiple times due to Windows updating and rebooting.

How can I stop Windows 10 from updating my computer. I do not agree to windows updating and rebooting without my permission. This is my computer. I was in the middle of a 5 hour course and had nearly finished when I decided to take a nap and I came back on I have to repeat most of the course. I am a student and I keep my machine on 24/7 and have multiple projects open at any given time. It is too wasteful of my time to have to shut everything down and restart. I am also disabled and cannot always choose when I can and cannot work. Therefore I have to be efficient when I can and I don't have the time to reset up everything each time I come back to my machine.

I have no choice but to use Windows as well as other OS's for certain courses or I would not choose to use Windows. When Windows does its unwanted update, it pops up a window to ask if I want it to reboot when I'm not using my machine or right now. There is no option to say, "I don't want to reboot at all, I don't want to update at all". I don't want every new feature or fix MS wants to push out. I bought a working piece of software that runs the apps I need to run. I want nothing else from the OS. I don't want your "improvements". Especially if they are pushed on me.

Please give me an option to stop all updates unless I go to "windows update" and choose to update. Remember that? When we controlled our machines that we paid for? Please tell me my only option is not to complain to my state attorney general and the US Justice department. You have a monopoly and most of us have no choice of what to use. You are taking advantage of users by forcing **** on them and taking over their machines.

:)

2. P4-630 Win User

FIXED!! Windows 7 sp1 never ends searching for updates

Ok I did another reboot, disabled windows update service, did step 3 again, this time it installed an update, enabled windows update service and did a reboot and voila!! *Peace I have lost hours of work multiple times due to Windows updating and rebooting. :peace:

I have lost hours of work multiple times due to Windows updating and rebooting. 20160416_190650-jpg.jpg

P4-630, Aug 13, 2019
  3. Tboggs13 Win User
    Wireless Synch stops working for some reason

Any more suggestions for fixing this problem? I really enjoyed wireless sync when it worked.

Steps I have taken:

• Rebooted the computer (multiple times)
    • Rebooted the phone (multiple times - mostly due to marketplace crashing)
    • Disabled wireless sync and re-enabled. Received success message
    • Installed ZuneDevices.exe - Monitored connections and the phone is definitely connecting. The connect times in zunedevices.exe match the sync times in the Zune desktop client.
    So, the Zune desktop definitely sees the phone. When connected wirelessly, I can see what is on it. However, nothing is actually syncing. Not my podcasts, not my music or apps.

Is there a log for Zune that I can view?

Tboggs13, Aug 13, 2019
  4. I have lost hours of work multiple times due to Windows updating and rebooting.

windows 10 anniversary 24 hour reboot

• I have attempted anniversary update six times. This time I booted my notebook with a USB device made from my desktop which has been successfully updated to anniversary edition, to fix any startup problems. I also followed your procedure, above. The update
      will download, and load. At 25% on bluescreen, it will restart and load to 75% and then it tries to restart but stalls for hours. I then force power off and on twice and it re-installs old version of Windows 10.

Any suggestions?

Be the first person to mark this helpful

• I have lost hours of work multiple times due to Windows updating and rebooting. [​IMG]

• DA

replied on

I have attempted anniversary update six times. This time I booted my notebook with a USB device made from my desktop which has been successfully updated to anniversary edition, to fix any startup problems. I also followed your procedure, above. The update
      will download, and load. At 25% on bluescreen, it will restart and load to 75% and then it tries to restart but stalls for hours. I then force power off and on twice and it re-installs old version of Windows 10.

Any suggestions?

1 person found this helpful

• I have lost hours of work multiple times due to Windows updating and rebooting. [​IMG]

DaveWirth9933, Aug 13, 2019
Thema:

I have lost hours of work multiple times due to Windows updating and rebooting.

1. I have lost hours of work multiple times due to Windows updating and rebooting. - Similar Threads - lost hours multiple

2. Surface rebooting multiple times while working

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Surface rebooting multiple times while working: surface rebooting multiple time while working we have monitored from last 3 days and we have imaged tab and also updated drivers and updates * Changed to a question* Original title: surface...
  3. Stop Windows 10 Automatic Update/Reboot – Lost Many Hours of Work

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Stop Windows 10 Automatic Update/Reboot – Lost Many Hours of Work: I run electromagnetic simulations on my Windows 10 system. And, although, I have configured the settings of Windows to provide some level of warning and delay with these forced reboots – some reboots seem to occur with no warning at all.Last night around 9:30PM I rebooted my...
  4. Stop Windows 10 Automatic Update/Reboot – Lost Many Hours of Work

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Stop Windows 10 Automatic Update/Reboot – Lost Many Hours of Work: I run electromagnetic simulations on my Windows 10 system. And, although, I have configured the settings of Windows to provide some level of warning and delay with these forced reboots – some reboots seem to occur with no warning at all.Last night around 9:30PM I rebooted my...
  5. Stop Windows 10 Automatic Update/Reboot – Lost Many Hours of Work

6. I lost more data due to Window's forced reboot after an update =

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I lost more data due to Window's forced reboot after an update =: Windows 10 is a horrible system to be avoided at all costs. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-lost-more-data-due-to-windows-forced-reboot/bb7f011e-7d83-40a9-a03f-8fc5237b3775
  7. I lost more data due to Window's forced reboot after an update =

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I lost more data due to Window's forced reboot after an update =: Windows 10 is a horrible system to be avoided at all costs. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-lost-more-data-due-to-windows-forced-reboot/bb7f011e-7d83-40a9-a03f-8fc5237b3775
  8. I lost more data due to Window's forced reboot after an update =

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  9. BSOD multiple times an hour

BSOD multiple times an hour: Hello! I just preformed an NVMe Flash Storage replacement on a HP Spectre 13t-af000 because there were frequent blue screens, I figured replacing the drive with a clean install would solve the issue. I preformed a clean install of Windows 10. Now after the computer has been...
  10. PC freezing/rebooting multiple times each hour

in Windows 10 Support
    PC freezing/rebooting multiple times each hour: This seemed like the most appropriate forum to post in, I have been across the internet and so far all attempts to find the problem or a solution have failed. The problem: My PC will intermittently freeze for up to 5 seconds and it occurs maybe 1 or 2 times per hour. If...