Windows 10: I have lost permissions to my only hard drive

Discus and support I have lost permissions to my only hard drive in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; My laptop has been having some problems since I got it. First It was owned by a friend of my dad, then by my dad and now by me. I think It's a acer... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Oskaras, Jul 13, 2019.

1. Oskaras Win User

I have lost permissions to my only hard drive

My laptop has been having some problems since I got it. First It was owned by a friend of my dad, then by my dad and now by me.

I think It's a acer aspire 5742Z, the specs are the same and looks pretty much the same.

So the computer is slow and I wanted to reset it to factory settings but when I would press the 'Get started' button It would do nothing. I had a bunch of files that I didn't have permission to, but I had figured out a way to get permission but it would take for ever to do it to the 1000+ files.

After deleting a few I managed to get the 'get started' button working but when it would start deleting the files after reseting it would stop and load the computer normally and say no changes were make.

I decided to use media creation tool on directly on this pc. It kinda worked until I saw that I still had 250gb of files which are the files that I don't have permission, I tried gaining permission to one of them to see what it had inside because I remember putting something into the folder but It wouldn't work and I was stuck with a thing that would set the permissions for that file and It would say access denied and I couldn't close it because it would try to save the changes I've made and it would say access denied, so I got fed up and I decided to restart my computer and now I HAVE LOST ACCESS TO MY MAIN HARD DRIVE 'LOCAL DISK (CI have lost permissions to my only hard drive :)'.
    It now says that my pc is low on storage and I can't really do much, can't make a new user nor can I gain access to de drive, when I try it freezes for a while and says I don't have access to something I CAN'T EVEN USE TASK MANAGER BECAUSE WINDOWS CAN'T ACCESS IT.

Now the 'Get started' button doesn't work.

I just want to wipe my hard drive so that not a single 1 or 0 is left and then put windows back in.

:)

Oskaras, Jul 13, 2019

2. Permission issue, shared drive Windows 10.

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

We can understand your concern. However, we would need some more information regarding the issue.

1. May I know the exact error message?
    2. Have you shared all hard drives or any particular folder within the particular hard drive?

Since you have mentioned that you are getting error related to permission issue, please refer to the troubleshooting steps provided by “Azee N” dated June 2nd 2010 on
    Providing permission to drive and try
    providing permission to the drive.

If the issue still persists, we would suggest you to follow the steps mentioned below to re-map the drive.

1. Disconnect the drive by right click on the drive and select disconnect (if the drive is mapped).
    2. Then re-map the drive by referring to Map a network drive
      and check if it resolves the issue.

Regards,

Manjunath_H, Jul 13, 2019
  3. Lost data from hard drive, what to do now?

Well, I'm sorry to hear that it's a WD My Passport that failed on you, @tomhenry ! *Frown I have lost permissions to my only hard drive :(
    I'd recommend you to try using a different USB cable with it and see if that will help your system to detect it without it disconnecting.
    I'd also suggest you to go to Disk Management and see how the drive is listed there. It won't hurt to check up on the health and SMART status of the HDD by running the QUICK and EXTENDED tests from the WD's Data LifeGuard Diagnostics. Here's a link to the available software: http://products.wdc.com/support/kb.ashx?id=11ZOpD

Give these troubleshooting steps a try and keep us posted with the results!
    SuperSoph_WD

SuperSoph_WD, Jul 13, 2019
  4. I have lost permissions to my only hard drive

Overclock your hard drive!!!

Heres a much easier hack that I realized quite a few years ago that really does work!

REQUIREMENTS:
    • Hard drive with molex power connection.
    • PSU with more than 1 strand that has molex plugs on it.
    • Wire strippers, soldering iron if you're fancy, electrical tape if you're not.
    STEPS:
    • Take the strand of connectors from your PSU, and decide which one will be the donator for this overclocking adventure.
    • Cut the yellow and orange cables, then twist them together.
    • Find the power connector you've chosen as the overclocking connector, and release the orange cable from the connector. Now use your preferred method to bind them together, then place it back together.
    • Plug in a drive and feel the speed!
    Congratulations! You've just overclocked your hard drive!

Sir B. Fannybottom, Jul 13, 2019
Thema:

I have lost permissions to my only hard drive

1. I have lost permissions to my only hard drive - Similar Threads - lost permissions hard

2. Lost Admin permissions to only user

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Lost Admin permissions to only user: I made a mistake that I am most certainly not proud of. Without paying much attention which is why you maybe shouldn't do things like this late at night... I change my account to only be a part of the User group, thus losing Admin privileges. Considering this is the only user...
  3. Lost hard drives

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Lost hard drives: I have a somewhat complicated set up with two computers, a main and the backup, and a large number of peripherals that are attached to switches to move them between the two computers. The problem I have is on my main computer and concerns three USB external hard drives. They...
  4. I have lost my administrator permissions with the new windows update.Help

in Windows 10 Customization
    I have lost my administrator permissions with the new windows update.Help: I have lost my administrator permissions with the new windows update.Help https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-have-lost-my-administrator-permissions-with-the/701dd9f7-9c01-4e65-af58-199ec3ee8611
  5. I have lost permission as an Administrator on my laptop.

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    I have lost permission as an Administrator on my laptop.: Because of this issue, i can not uninstall anything. C drive is locked & inaccessible. Can not open Task Manager. and so many things. What would be the reason for it and a solution for it? Thanks in advance...
  6. I lost my hard drive and my license?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    I lost my hard drive and my license?: Hi everyone recently i lost my hard drive. Before installing a new windows 10 in another hard drive im wondering what will happen with my old windows 10 key, its lost i supose, i don't have any backup avaliable. Then i started to run some recovery stuff to my broken hard...
  7. Lost partition on my internal hard drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Lost partition on my internal hard drive: I have a Dell XPS that is running Windows 10. I had a hard drive that was partitioned into a C: drive with 200 Gb for programs and a D: drive with 1.7 Tb for data. I was deleting programs a few days ago to free up hard drive space and I remember several versions of Visual...
  8. I plugged my hard drive into another computer, now I have permissions and windows security...

I plugged my hard drive into another computer, now I have permissions and windows security...: Recently my power supply died and I had to replace it. While I was waiting for the replacement, I needed some files off the C:\ drive, so I plugged it into my SATA dock attached to my laptop. The files in question were in Documents, so of course I navigated into my user...
  9. I lost access to my files on external hard drive

in Windows 10 Customization
    I lost access to my files on external hard drive: I am trying to find my old video file stored on external HDD. It is an AMV video that I did long ago....Unfortunately, that file is locked. When I was trying to unlock it, I received an error 0x80071771: The specified file could not be decrypted. This hdd had Windows XP on...
  10. I don't have permission my external hard drive.

I don't have permission my external hard drive.: I can't download or change anything inside my hard drive. Everytime i try to do so i get the Message "You dont have permission to do this" even though i am admin on my PC. This is the 2nd time i have this problem, last time i just formated the Whole disk and it worked fine...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. lost permission to drive

2. lost my permissions to harddisk