Windows 10: I have lost the icons on my desktop as well as the apps in my system tray.

Discus and support I have lost the icons on my desktop as well as the apps in my system tray. in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I have lost the icons on my desktop as well as the apps in my system tray. Also when I open an app it goes to my task bar, comes up as a small window.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by shirleyphillips4, Aug 18, 2021.

1. I have lost the icons on my desktop as well as the apps in my system tray.

I have lost the icons on my desktop as well as the apps in my system tray. Also when I open an app it goes to my task bar, comes up as a small window. To open it I have to right click on it and press move, then press one of the arrow key and it comes up. We did lose power for awhile and when I turned on the computer no icons! The "Show desktop icons" is checked. I am not running multiple screens and am not in Tablet Mode.

:)

shirleyphillips4, Aug 18, 2021

2. Notification area (system tray) icons missing, Reset did not work

Hi Kevin,

With regard to your query about the system tray, we suggest that you follow the steps below and see if it helps.

• Right-click on an empty space in your desktop taskbar and select Properties.
    • In the Taskbar and Start Menu Properties window, find the selection labeled
      Notification Area and click on Customize.
    • Click on Turn system icons on or off.
    • If you'd like to always show all icons, turn the slider window to On.
    • Reboot the PC for the changes to take effect.

Let us know the result.

Rafael Com, Aug 18, 2021
  3. Disappearing System Tray icon

I have a situation where my Macrium Reflect "backup-in-progress" icon stops being displayed. I've reported this to Macrium, but I'd like to better understand what is going on ... including how System Tray (a.k.a. notification area) icons are displayed.

I'm running Win 10 2004 and (if it matters) Macrium Reflect Home 7.3.5289.

This problem regularly occurs on only 1 of my 4 computers, and appears to be associated with Remote Desktop access and/or disconnected mode.

On "attended" computers (i.e., not using RDP access) the backup icon is always displayed, either in the System Tray or in the list of hidden icons, when MR runs a backup. But access via RDP seems to mess this up. I can reproduce the problem on any (well, at least 2) of my computers by the following scheme:

1. Start with the computer in a "Locked" state.
    2. Connect to the computer using Remote Desktop.
    3. Manually start a scheduled backup. The icon appears in System Tray.
    4. Disconnect the Remote Desktop connection. This puts the computer in a Locked state but the backup runs to completion.
    5. Wait for the computer to enter Sleep state.
    6. Wake the computer with "Wake on Lan" processing and connect with Remote Desktop again.
    7. Manually start another backup. This time the icon is not displayed.
    8. Disconnect Remote Desktop and log in locally.
    9. Start another backup. The icon is still not displayed.
    10. Reboot and start another backup. The icon is displayed.

I know nothing about the Windows notification processing so this my be a really dumb question, but is there something trying to display a Systems Tray icon while Windows is running disconnected that would make Windows flag the icon as unusable? I know that can't be universal since I have most of my System Tray icons seem bothered by this.

pokeefe0001, Aug 18, 2021
  4. dalchina Win User

I have lost the icons on my desktop as well as the apps in my system tray.

Uninstalled program, but system tray icon is still there...

@Steve C - that would be valid if it were only the tray icon, but the first post mentioned

- hence my suggestion.

dalchina, Aug 18, 2021
Thema:

I have lost the icons on my desktop as well as the apps in my system tray.

1. I have lost the icons on my desktop as well as the apps in my system tray. - Similar Threads - lost icons desktop

2. Lost apps on my desktop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Lost apps on my desktop: I lost my apps on my desktop. I cant find it and I dont know how to bring it back to my desktop screen. I dont know much about computer and Im only using this for playing and browsing. Please help me since I am lost here....
  3. Lost apps on my desktop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Lost apps on my desktop: I lost my apps on my desktop. I cant find it and I dont know how to bring it back to my desktop screen. I dont know much about computer and Im only using this for playing and browsing. Please help me since I am lost here....
  4. What is this LOCK icon in my system tray

in Windows 10 Support
    What is this LOCK icon in my system tray: I noticed this icon in my system tray a few weeks back but if I place my mouse cursor on it or double click it it automatically disappears (please refer to the screenshot the lock icon outlined by black marker) [ATTACH] Can anyone please help me identify what it is. I am...
  5. I have lost my desktop and my files

in Windows 10 Customization
    I have lost my desktop and my files: Never had this happen before. When I signed on, my previous desktop has disappeared. It is only showing a few icons, and the computer seems to have reverted to an earlier state. My Quicken, for example, no longer displays the data in it it is backed up. What happened?...
  6. System tray icon for desktop

System tray icon for desktop: In Windows 7 system tray, an icon showed for the desk top. This is not so in Windows 10. If I am on a web site, how can I quickly return to the desk top without closing the web site. I do this now and then login to the web site again....
  7. I have lost my icons, including my desktop icon. What do I do?

I have lost my icons, including my desktop icon. What do I do?: I need help with loss of icons https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-have-lost-my-icons-including-my-desktop-icon/052a6c8f-fe51-481c-b54e-68455c9a1611
  8. Desktop icons, system tray icons, opened apps resetting issue in win10pro

Desktop icons, system tray icons, opened apps resetting issue in win10pro: hi after latest windows update, for some reason anytime i turn on/off monitor my right side desktop icons will move inch to the left, some of my system tray icons will become blurry and opened applications like firefox will reset to smaller size. i have windows10pro...
  9. lost my desktop icons

lost my desktop icons: lost my original desktop and the icons, need help please to get back to original windows 10 and icons https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/lost-my-desktop-icons/3106ac95-354b-4fc1-abe4-a01c22e1136b
  10. Weird icon in my system tray

Weird icon in my system tray: Does anyone recognize this icon? [ATTACH] It doesn't do anything when I click on it and doesn't show a name when I hover over it. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/weird-icon-in-my-system-tray/1ba0eb7c-85e9-43d9-bccc-80910449f864