Windows 10: I have memory leak problem after an update.

Discus and support I have memory leak problem after an update. in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Windows 10. I have memory leak problem after an update. I hacked my windows because in my experience you ALWAYS have problems with new updates, but... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by nemrob, May 31, 2017.

1. nemrob Win User

I have memory leak problem after an update.

Windows 10. I have memory leak problem after an update. I hacked my windows because in my experience you ALWAYS have problems with new updates, but after a while Windows forced me to do so (the thing I hate the most in it). So I've updated and deeply regreted (again). Now my machine is unusable. The memory fills and then the machine slows down, becomes useless. I've tried everything I've found, sfc /scannow, win memory check, etc, for no avail. I installed Cleanmem and if I click on Clean File Cache now, it frees up some (4-10%) of memory but not for long. I must emphasize that I use the same programs the same way as before the update. Windows cleared the memory somehow, now it doesn't. I've read what I found on the net, I see that many people have the same problem for months now and Microsoft don't seem to care/do anything. I have the latest update and the bug stays. What can I do now? Is there a solution beside virus scan/keeping the fans clean/checking old drivers: my machine is up to date, virus/malware free and was working great before the update. Please help me.

:)

nemrob, May 31, 2017

2. Desktop Window Manager Memory Leak

This problem appeared after installing Win10 anniversary update. "dwm.exe" used ~1.8GB of memory. This might be a memory leak or something, that's why it eats a lot of Memory.

And it seems that the only way to solve this problem is by simply rebooting, or by killing explorer.exe, launching explorer.exe again, and killing dwm.exe after that.

Please fix this ASAP, because some users might not be aware of this leak that may be causing a lot of slowdowns.

(Memory leak confirmed on 2 Windows 10 devices, Version 1607 build 14393.51)

And yes, I have performed a virus scan.

Thank you.

RaphaelAcilo, May 31, 2017
  3. AndrewSi Win User
    Non-paged pool grows to consume all memory after Creators Update (possibly Storage Spaces related)

My problems went away after upgrading to the Fall Creator's Update. No more memory leak.

AndrewSi, May 31, 2017
  4. I have memory leak problem after an update.

I'm not sure what you mean when you say:
    I don't think I've ever needed to hack Windows. But if your hacks have broken Windows, then I suggest you reinstall Windows, and this time do not hack it.

margrave55, May 31, 2017
  5. zbook New Member
    Let's get some fresh information:

Open administrative command prompt and type or copy and paste these commands:

1) winver (in the pop up view the windows version and build and post into the forum)
    2) sfc /scannow
    3) dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth
    4) chkdsk /scan

On the administrative command prompt box right click on the top bar and left click on edit > left click select all > then right click on the top bar again > left click copy > paste into the forum

5) msconfig (in the pop up place the dot into selective startup, un-check load startup items, then click on the services tab > in the left lower corner click hide all Microsoft services > on the lower right click disable all > apply/ok or exit without reboot

6) taskmgr (in the pop up click the startup tab > click the status column so that enable rises to the top > right click each row so that enable is changed to disable
    7) reboot
    This will place the computer in clean boot. The boot should be the fastest it has been in a long time.
    Now check the performance of the computer and compare to the way it was behaving.
    If there is no change in performance place the computer in safe mode with networking or safe mode with command prompt and compare the prior performance.
    If the performance does not improve in clean boot or in safe mode then obtain a flash drive that you can format and create a bootable windows 10 iso: Download Windows 10

zbook, May 31, 2017
  6. nemrob Win User
    That is the microsoft answer from the can, and it is so untrue. There is always something forced on me from MS that I don't want and I have no options but to obey. And the result is always a screwup as my example shows (for the 100th time: I'm using windows for like 25 years, I know). I only want an OS that serves me, instead I have a wife (a 2nd) that is always make my life harder. A few times I had a deadline and the OS said: no work, update - I couldn't stop it, so I hacked it bereaft of other options, so it won't stop me ever again. Like my bl..dy car saying: no work today, updating.
    If windows works as it is now it sometimes have to be "hacked" - I changed a setting in the regedit, if it is hacking. So better not selling me, the never need to be hacked BS, please. My blood is boiling anyway. Machines should be helpers, not obstacles.

@zbook: thank you for the answer.
    My winver is 1607 (OS Build 14393.1198)
    I've done all the other stuff you've mentioned before and I have only 3 bootup items, I've unchecked everything not to load on boot.
    I have Malwarebytes and Windows Defender running, I stopped both of them, but it didn't help.
    I'm now making a clean boot and I'll check what happens.

I don't understand why taskmanager is not showing what hogs the memory. Clearly something(s) keeps on filling it, but there is no sign of it in taskmanager.

nemrob, May 31, 2017
  7. Spectrum Win User
    nemrob if Windows has given you so much trouble for 25 years and counting, why do you continue using it?

Spectrum, May 31, 2017
  8. nemrob Win User

It is the lesser evil: I don't want to fiddle with Linux, and I don't have the money for a decent Apple. I try to like it every time I install a new version, but there is alway something that is deliberately put there to ruin my day. Why in hell can't I disable updates - I have a machine that works, why forcing me something I don't need/want? Google how many people had the same issue as I do: tens, maybe hundreds of thousands? And there is no official solution. Still you cant disable updates only by "hacking". Why? MS is like a bad celeb: if they have no talent or anything to show, they draw the attention by taking drugs, stealing in shops or sh.ting in public. Just to grab attention.
    Still I'm fiddling and writing (and wasting my time on windows) instead of working...

nemrob, May 31, 2017
  9. zbook New Member
    When all else fails there is always WPR. Windows performance recorder can be run when you are experiencing high memory consumption. The challenge is either learning how to analyze the results or getting it interpreted.

I have memory leak problem after an update. [​IMG]

zbook, May 31, 2017
  10. nemrob Win User
    I was using the pc for a few days to see if everything is ok after the clean boot and seems, yes. So my question is why not always booting clean? If it is a lot faster, more reliable - why not use it all the time. I will, at least to the point when an update/solution comes up from MS that fixes the memory leak problem.
    Thank you very much for the help!

nemrob, Jun 3, 2017
  11. zbook New Member
    It is highly recommended to always use clean boot as it provides the fastest boot. At the same time it turns off bloat ware. Selective boot does not need to be at one extreme (clean boot) or the other (normal boot). For example you may find that you are always using 2 or 3 applications so you want these to load at boot so that you don't have to wait each time to load them. It's a matter of personal efficiency.

See this link for comments on clean boot:
    Windows 10 Performance and Install Integrity Checklist - Microsoft Community

zbook, Jun 4, 2017
  12. Mystere Win User
    Seriously? You believe that Microsoft says "Hey, let's deliberately ruin nemrob's day"?

Because, machines that are not updated are a menace to society, and the internet as a whole. Look at the recent Wannacry fiasco, that was largely the fault of people who hadn't updated their systems. (I mean it was spread widely because people hadn't updated, not that they are at fault for creating it).

You absolutely should always apply updates, especially security updates. If you don't, you're a malware attack waiting to happen. Which would be fine if it only affected you, but often times your machine is then used to spread the attack to others.

First, it's not debatable about whether or not you need patches. You do. Whether or not you WANT them is a different story, because what people want is often times at odds with what they need.

I don't care how many years you've been using windows. If you hack your system, you are now taking your system out of the tested configuration. Once you do that, all bets are off as to whether or not future patches will work with your system...

In other words, you are creating your own problem and then saying "See, I told you i'd have problems!". Yes, there are a lot of people who might have your same problem, but in my experience, this is because they've gone off the reservation and made modifications to their system.

Why not just *try* to use a system without hacking it? You might find it "just works" rather than spending all your time fighting up stream.

Mystere, Jun 4, 2017
  13. nemrob Win User

@zbook: Thank you very much.

@mystere: Just wrote, if you read carefully, that my problems started AFTER installing the update. Mine and many other thousands'. The problem is not MS putting there deliberately the errors, but not caring for testing. Ever used a MAC? I've used them for a while in workplaces - no problem (almost) ever? Why is that? Knowing your stuff, caring about it and testing? Maybe? (I've had my problems with MACs, and that is same (beside the price) as with MS for not letting me choose).

Right now machines WITH updates are a menace to society, too. Google a bit, it is and was the most hated feature of windows. I did not start using windows hacked! Experience showed me to do so. With every update comes new bugs to deal with.
    My machines were unhacked for 16-17 years that was where I had enough. Besides my machine run for more than a year without any problems "outside of the tested configuration". Problems came AFTER updating. BTW what tested configuration you talk about? My problem is the lack of testing. Also when problems came I was inside the tested config again. Do you care for facts, or just copy-paste a cliché for every "whiner"?

All the people who got any ransomware was because of an email or a website, it had nothing to do with MS. Windows and Office was always sh.tty in this regard (security), please don't play the fool and they that I should be thankful when they fix the errors they put and left there! Again look at macs: there are almost no viruses/malware to talk about - so it is possible to do so, isn't it?
    Besides I have malware AND viruscheck running the same time.

You can play the arrogant fanboy and say: if you don't like it don't use it, rather than admitting errors and fix them, but that just makes you a fool in the eyes of everyone who ever had problem with an MS product. "It's buggy and that is OK" - no it's not. YOU would not accept that in you car, in your house, in a damn restaurant, but you do with a MS product, don't you? Yeah right.

nemrob, Jun 4, 2017
  14. Spectrum Win User
    You can get the Windows Performance Recorder from the Windows Performance Toolkit which is available from the Windows SDK. Alternatively you could run a trace using UIforETW.

Either way, make sure to run a trace when you are experiencing the aforementioned pathological memory usage.

Spectrum, Jun 4, 2017
  15. nemrob Win User
    @Spectrum: Thank you, I'll be using it. Right now I'm testing the machine.

nemrob, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. I have memory leak problem after an update. - Similar Threads - memory leak problem

2. i have memory leak

in Windows 10 Gaming
    i have memory leak: as you can see in th epic, i have 5gb leak somewere and i cant find it. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-have-memory-leak/02b1f1a8-c976-4636-9349-1bae283a3bfb
  3. i have memory leak

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    i have memory leak: as you can see in th epic, i have 5gb leak somewere and i cant find it. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-have-memory-leak/02b1f1a8-c976-4636-9349-1bae283a3bfb
  4. DWM memory leak problems

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    DWM memory leak problems: Like many people, I've suddenly started having memory leak problems with Desktop Window Manager, getting as high as 4.4GB which isnt good for my little 16GB laptop. It seems universally accepted that it's caused by a faulty Intel river for the Intel HD 630 and I've seen a...
  5. If you have memory leak...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    If you have memory leak...: I was searching for this answer years *Biggrin While it possibly wasn't memory leak at all. But memory compression. Everyone thought it was memory leak, when your free RAM is filled with standby memory. Your application crashes saying: there is no memory. When there is no...
  6. I might have a memory leak

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    I might have a memory leak: So I've recently started to notice that my ram usage in Task manager shows a higher percentage used than what is actually being used. How do I find the problem causing this? submitted by /u/Emptynamez [link] [comments]...
  7. Memory leak after updating to May 1903 update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Memory leak after updating to May 1903 update: I updated to Windows 10 May update this month and have had a huge memory leak since, to the point where I can't play any games (it just freezes). My PC is custom built (Ryzen 7 1700x, GTX 1060 6GB, 8GB RAM) and only had this issue after I updated windows. I've run poolmon...
  8. MEMORY LEAK after cumulative updates?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    MEMORY LEAK after cumulative updates?: I know what I'm going to suggest isn't an obvious thing around here. So I have to first explain my perspective on RAM before I can even talk about a 'memory leak' or what might be called 'RAM hogging'. In Windows 10 I know of two places I can check RAM usage. Task Manager...
  9. MEMORY LEAK after cumulative updates?

in Windows 10 Support
    MEMORY LEAK after cumulative updates?: I know what I'm going to suggest isn't an obvious thing around here. So I have to first explain my perspective on RAM before I can even talk about a 'memory leak' or what might be called 'RAM hogging'. In Windows 10 I know of two places I can check RAM usage. Task Manager...
  10. Big memory leak problem.

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Big memory leak problem.: hey i know that this is a problem that many many people have asked. But i cant seem to find a solution that works for me. My memory would spike till im using 98-99% memory whilst doing mundane things like watching youtube. One of the solutions was that Killer Network...