Windows 10: I have never seen anythimg like this -- Chrome and WMP have 'merged' into one apparent...

Discus and support I have never seen anythimg like this -- Chrome and WMP have 'merged' into one apparent... in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; A few days ago, I was downloading some videos. I was using Chrome as the browser and I was using Windows Media Player as the viewer. To make an... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by RejLeatherman13, Dec 3, 2018.

1. I have never seen anythimg like this -- Chrome and WMP have 'merged' into one apparent...

A few days ago, I was downloading some videos. I was using Chrome as the browser and I was using Windows Media Player as the viewer.

To make an unbelievably long story, more believable and shorter, I'll start with the punch line -- Somehow Chrome and WMP player 'merged' into one program. Let me rephrase that -- both Chrome and WMP manifest themselves as WMP. I cannot bring up a clean or even separate Chrome window. It is simply not possible.

I have tried to uninstall Chrome, I have tried to uninstall WMP -- apparently, neither is possible I kept getting dialogue boxes instructing me to close all Chrome applications and tried again.

After several false starts -- I finally remembered that Chrome runs in the background but is unseen.

The bottom line is, I cannot figure out a way to disentangle the two programs. As a temporary measure, I have installed Chrome Canary -- but I would much rather figure out what happened and how to prevent it from happening again.

Anyone have any ideas how this could have happened, how to fix it and, at least as importantly, how to prevent from happening again. Because I find the two programs desirable to run.

Also, the two programs are not compatible -- at least not to THIS extant.

I am at a complete loss -- though that won't last -- an idea will eventually occur. But, I'm not THAT familiar with the inner workings of these pieces of software that I could somehow override there intended sovereignty and make "2 Become 1"

So does anyone have an idea as to how to accomplish the feat(?)

:)

RejLeatherman13, Dec 3, 2018
  2. Bree Win User

WMP Problem

It should be there. Let's try again, step by step.

First, find out what version of Windows you have. Use the Winkey + R to bring up the 'Run' box, type Winver then click OK. You should see a version number, 1511, 1607 or 1703.

If you have 1703, open Settings > Apps. For any other version open Settings > System.

Click on Default in the list to the left (in 1703 it's called Default apps).

Scroll down the list to find 'Video player'. This will probably say the default is 'Films & TV'. Whatever it says, click on it to bring up a list of possible apps to set as the default. You should see something like this with Windows Media Player in the 'Choose an application' list. Click on Windows Media Player and it will become the default for all types of video.

I have never seen anythimg like this -- Chrome and WMP have 'merged' into one apparent... [​IMG]

Bree, Dec 3, 2018
  3. D_o_S Win User
    Company merging on the horizon

The Inq. talks about some major company merging that could take place this summer. What is likely to happen is summarized in the following list:

• eBay is in talks with Microsoft and Yahoo regarding cooperation and perhaps even a combination
    • Oracle, SAP and perhaps Novell might be "up to something"
    • Telecoms will surely continue to be a big source of deal-making and not just through attempts to build scale and geographic coverage. Deals such as Sky-Easynet and eBay-Skype suggest that combinations of services could be the way forward.
    • Sun might be bought by Fujitsu Siemens, HP or Dell
    Source: The Inq

D_o_S, Dec 3, 2018
  4. I have never seen anythimg like this -- Chrome and WMP have 'merged' into one apparent...

E63 contact merge

Hello.

This is my next step in trying to organise my contacts in my new E63. It seems at some point the phone has downloaded my Yahoo contacts list and merged them with the phone contacts list, which is great. Except it hasn't exactly merged them; it's just added
    the two lists together, so I have mutliple entries for the same contact, in most cases one entry for the email address and one for the phone number. I'd like to have one entry per person containing both their email and phone numbers.

After a langthy and very frustrating conversation with a nice enough lady at Nokia Support who unfortunately doesn't really understand English, the apparent answer is that the only way to get the email and phone number joined under one contact for each person
    is to go through each contact manually adding the detail and then deleting the superfluous contact. Is that really the case? Is there no way to get the phone to automatically merge identically-named contacts?

Thanks in advance,

Luke

CSnoEnglish, Dec 3, 2018
Thema:

I have never seen anythimg like this -- Chrome and WMP have 'merged' into one apparent...

1. I have never seen anythimg like this -- Chrome and WMP have 'merged' into one apparent... - Similar Threads - never anythimg Chrome

2. I have to merge disk but How ?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I have to merge disk but How ?: I have a situation like this How to extend the D drive? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-have-to-merge-disk-but-how/bbfbea0d-766f-44fb-9e4e-855aafec90ad
  3. BSOD I have never seen before

in Windows 10 Gaming
    BSOD I have never seen before: My computer is a farely powerful computer so I would often put it through a lot at once but when it crashed I was just watching netflix. All of a sudden the screen froze and I couldn't do anything and then shortly after a Blue Screen appeared. Normally I just dismiss these as...
  4. BSOD I have never seen before

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    BSOD I have never seen before: My computer is a farely powerful computer so I would often put it through a lot at once but when it crashed I was just watching netflix. All of a sudden the screen froze and I couldn't do anything and then shortly after a Blue Screen appeared. Normally I just dismiss these as...
  5. BSOD I have never seen before

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  6. WMP gone WILD! Never seen this!

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    WMP gone WILD! Never seen this!: First post so HI! And my version number is: 20H2 Today I was taking MP3's off of an external HD and adding them to a WMP playlist. Everything was going fine. I had about 60K songs in an unsaved playlist. When I tried to add about another 10K of tunes -- suddenly things went...
  7. I Have NEVER Seen This Issue Before, Until Now...

in Windows 10 Support
    I Have NEVER Seen This Issue Before, Until Now...: Well guys, this is officially my first post here. I feel like my attempts for getting help with this issue are starting to get a little desperate, but I had posted on 3 other forums about & still haven't yet heard ANYTHING back. :/ But I figure I could try here & see if...
  8. Windows Hello is showing an email i have never seen before

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows Hello is showing an email i have never seen before: After updating my PC last night i opened it up today to see a windows warning notification. Its telling me to set up windows hello, but when i do it shows an email ive never seen in my life. When i go to manage accounts it doesnt show up there. can anyone help?...
  9. My wife and I have 2 seperate accounts that we would like to merge into one

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    My wife and I have 2 seperate accounts that we would like to merge into one: We received a robo call this morning claiming to be from Microsoft and saying that our services were about to be discontinued. we have 2 separate accounts that we would like to merge into one....
  10. I have a bitlocker key, but apparently it's the wrong one

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    I have a bitlocker key, but apparently it's the wrong one: So a while back I performed a clean install of windows on my Surface Book 2 (due to some performance issues which were fixed by the reset), not using separate installation media but if I recall correctly, the reset windows button in settings. Everything was working nice and...