Windows 10: I have non-domain windows 10 enterprise and pro, what is the official supported methods to...

Discus and support I have non-domain windows 10 enterprise and pro, what is the official supported methods to... in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I work on special jobs and cannot afford ANY changes as per terms of the job while the job is underway [which can last for 1 year]. Once the job is... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Jim Test, Jan 17, 2021.

1. Jim Test Win User

I have non-domain windows 10 enterprise and pro, what is the official supported methods to...

I work on special jobs and cannot afford ANY changes as per terms of the job while the job is underway [which can last for 1 year].
    Once the job is completed, I update and correct any problems. This repeats, so when the next job begin I cannot have ANY new updates i.e. quality update and feature update - this was easy to do in windows 7. Currently with windows 10, I can only Pause for 35 days and/or defer quality updates for 30 days.
    I have already attempted most of the unofficial methods. However once I update the machine after the job is done, I discover most of the previous methods no longer work properly to prevent updates on the new job likely due to a new updateassistant, updateassistantwakeuprun, etc.

Need an official solution...

:)

Jim Test, Jan 17, 2021
  2. changari Win User

Raising the windows domain and forest issues?

hi,

I run a domain that was all 2003 r2 servers. I recently upgraded all my domain controllers to windows 2012 r2.
    That went off without any problems.. Our trust relationships had no issues also.

My first step was to raise the Domain and Forest levels past 2003 to 2008. This went off without a hitch.
    These are the features for raising the levels to 2008:

• Features and benefits include all default Active Directory features, all features from the Windows Server 2003 domain functional level, plus:
    • Read-Only Domain Controllers – Allows implementation of domain controllers that only host read-only copy of NTDS database.
    • Advanced Encryption Services – (AES 128 and 256) support for the Kerberos protocol.
    • Distributed File System Replication (DFSR) – Allows SYSVOL to replicate using DFSR instead of older File Replication Service (FRS). It provides more robust and detailed replication of SYSVOL contents.

Forest Level Windows Server 2008

• Features and benefits include all of the features that are available at the Windows Server 2003 forest functional level, but no additional features. All domains that are subsequently added to the forest will operate at the Windows Server 2008 domain functional level by default.

My next step is to raise the domain and forest to 2008 r2, then 2012, and finally 2012 r2. I have been trying to find out exactly what I could expect from raising the Domain and Forest for each step.

The step involving 2008 r2 seems relatively a non issue. But getting the couple of new features seem very nice

Domain Level Windows Server 2008 R2

• All default Active Directory features, all features from the Windows Server 2008 domain functional level, plus 2 new features

Forest Level Windows Server 2008 R2

• All of the features that are available at the Windows Server 2003 forest functional level, plus the following features:

• Active Directory Recycle Bin, which provides the ability to restore deleted objects in their entirety while AD DS is running. <== New Feature very cool
    • All domains subsequently added to the forest will operate at the Windows Server 2008 R2 domain functional level by default.

Here is my big concerns for the next raising of domain and forest to 2012.

Forest Level Windows Server 2012:

• All of the features that are available at the Windows Server 2008 R2 forest functional level, but no additional features.
    • All domains subsequently added to the forest will operate at the Windows Server 2012 domain functional level by default.

Domain Level Windows Server 2012 R2: <=====
    Need to investigate more and why this post

• DC-side protections for Protected Users. Protected Users authenticating to a Windows Server 2012 R2 domain can no longer:

• Authenticate with NTLM authentication <==============(what issues may arise)
    • Use DES or RC4 cipher suites in Kerberos pre-authentication
    • Be delegated with unconstrained or constrained delegation
    • Renew user tickets (TGTs) beyond the initial 4-hour lifetime

Will this affect my exchange anywhere users with remote access authenticating either clear of NTLM???
    and what would/may not to work properly day 1 when I raise the domain and forest to 2012. I cant really find anyone that can answer a straight question.

Has anyone gone through this? what problems did you have, if any , if a lot???

Any thoughts and suggestions will be much appreciated??

thanks

- - - Updated - - -

One more point... I am not sure if I posted this to the correct forum.. So if I was wrong and it should be in a different one..
    PLEASE LET ME KNOW

changari, Jan 17, 2021
  3. Mussels Win User
    Installing Windows Vista/7 Via flash drive (Mussels Method)

Thread updated with a newer method that allows multiple windows OS's on the one USB. nice little windows GUI, but a few more steps than the old method.

This method supports XP.

Mussels, Jan 17, 2021
  4. I have non-domain windows 10 enterprise and pro, what is the official supported methods to...

Activation after 1703 build on windows 10 enterprise

Where did you get Windows 10 Enterprise from in the first place?

Windows 10 Enterprise is a volume license client used by large organizations that deploy Windows 10 in bulk to hundreds or thousands of computers.

It uses one of two activation methods (Multiple Activation Key - MAK) or Key Management Server - KMS.

MAK works like a retail key which you enter and can use to activate by Internet or Telephone.

KMS requires connecting a Windows Server domain or VPN into a network to handle activation request.

If you got Windows 10 Enterprise through your employer, you should contact your System Administrator for Assistance.

If you happened to have just downloaded a copy of Windows 10 Enterprise off the Internet and installed, then you need to remove it and downgrade to what your computer is actually entitled for.

• The copy of Windows 10 you download and upgrade from will correspond with the edition of Windows you have installed, if it does not, this is why you might be experiencing problems activating:

• Windows 7 Starter, Home Basic, Home Premium, Windows 8.0 Core, Windows 8.1 Core
      will install Windows 10 Home

• Windows 7 Professional, Windows 7 Ultimate, Windows 8.0 Pro, Windows 8.1 Pro
      will install Windows 10 Pro

Press Windows key + X

Click Command Prompt (Admin)

Enter the following:

Licensingdiag.exe -report %userprofile%\desktop\report.txt -log %userprofile%\desktop\repfiles.cab

Hit Enter

Copy and paste the results in a reply to this thread for further analysis.

If your machine has a license for Windows 8.1, you can install the edition of Windows 10 that corresponds with it.

Step 1: How
    to download official Windows 10 ISO files

Step 2: How to: Perform a custom installation
    of Windows

Also view:

How
    to install and activate Windows 10 using your Windows 7 or Windows 8 product key

Andre Da Costa, Jan 17, 2021
Thema:

I have non-domain windows 10 enterprise and pro, what is the official supported methods to...

1. I have non-domain windows 10 enterprise and pro, what is the official supported methods to... - Similar Threads - non domain enterprise

2. Official Microsoft Support

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Official Microsoft Support: I have a few questions related to Microsoft Support:Is there an official Microsoft support for Windows or Windows Apps area? If yes, is it free or paid?Can someone provide the link if it does exist?The only area I found for support provides "how to" information for the...
  3. Official Microsoft Support

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Official Microsoft Support: I have a few questions related to Microsoft Support:Is there an official Microsoft support for Windows or Windows Apps area? If yes, is it free or paid?Can someone provide the link if it does exist?The only area I found for support provides "how to" information for the...
  4. Have second "non-domain" account on domain joined computer

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Have second "non-domain" account on domain joined computer: Hi there, my company is providing me with a laptop for work which we can use for personal stuff. It comes preinstalled with Windows 10 and is domain joined. I have created a second "local" user for my personal use. The only thing now is, that that user still seems to be...
  5. Upgraded to Windows 10 Pro received non-genuine Windows 10 Enterprise

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Upgraded to Windows 10 Pro received non-genuine Windows 10 Enterprise: Yesterday I purchased a copy of Windows 10 Pro from Microsoft Store upgrading from Windows 10 S & received confirmation email showing that is what I purchased. My laptop now shows I have Windows 10 Enterprise & is telling me it is not activated. When I run the...
  6. Connecting windows 10 machine (non domain joined) to an Enterprise wireless 802.1x network

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Connecting windows 10 machine (non domain joined) to an Enterprise wireless 802.1x network: Hi all, I need your help in finding out how to connect non domain joined machine (Windows 10 version 1903) to Enterprise wireless 802.1X using a Network Policy server (Windows server 2016) and if possible AAD. Here a short description of our environment: Client Machine:...
  7. Method of creating a domain in Windows 10

Method of creating a domain in Windows 10: Can I create a domain in Windows 10 without using "windows server". For example : IIS. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/method-of-creating-a-domain-in-windows-10/237d997b-5bc7-4ae0-9e5c-7d8d13568b1e
  8. Method of creating a domain in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Method of creating a domain in Windows 10: Can I create a domain in Windows 10 without using "windows server". For example : IIS. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/method-of-creating-a-domain-in-windows-10/766243bc-d149-4525-8dcf-7e38cd892e3a
  9. I have non-domain windows 10 enterprise, what is the official supported methods to prevent...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    I have non-domain windows 10 enterprise, what is the official supported methods to prevent...: I work on special jobs and cannot afford ANY changes (as per terms of the job) while the job is going on [which can last for 1 year]. Once the job is done I update and correct any problems, but when the next job begin I cannot have ANY new updates (this was easy to do in...
  10. Non-domain win 10 computer to domain network

Non-domain win 10 computer to domain network: Hi. I have a non-domain computer (win 10 basic). Can it connect to a Aerohive wireless domain network? Any links to a tutorial on the net? Thanks... *Smile 49689