Windows 10: I have somehow linked my Download, Desktop, and Documents Folders and I am unable to undo...

Discus and support I have somehow linked my Download, Desktop, and Documents Folders and I am unable to undo... in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I know that all 3 are linked because they are all named the same.[ATTACH]. I'm also getting an error when i try and change the location of any of the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Andrew Marrero, Sep 7, 2020.

1. I have somehow linked my Download, Desktop, and Documents Folders and I am unable to undo...

I know that all 3 are linked because they are all named the same. I have somehow linked my Download, Desktop, and Documents Folders and I am unable to undo... 25dd27cd-88d1-4aac-a939-8017637a2f30?upload=true.png .

I'm also getting an error when i try and change the location of any of the folders to the correct places. I have somehow linked my Download, Desktop, and Documents Folders and I am unable to undo... 8405f500-a639-4e65-bcfb-f057c9f2aa8c?upload=true.png however the folders are now empty because i moved everything into separate folders to not ruin the files.

My Laptop is a Surface Pro 6

:)

Andrew Marrero, Sep 7, 2020

2. Downloads folder is the Documents folder

Hi Chris,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I suggest you to Restore to Default the folders and document settings and see if it helps.

Step 1:

Please follow below steps and check if it helps.

• Go to Download folder.
    • Right click on the Download Folder and go to Properties.
    • In Properties go to Location tab.
    • In location Tab Click on Restore Default.

Step 2:

Please follow below steps and check if it helps.

• Go to Documents folder.
    • Right click on the Document folder and go to Properties.
    • In Properties go to Location tab.
    • In location Tab Click on Restore Default.
    After performing above steps change the settings as you required and check if it helps.

Hope these information helps, please get back to us for future support, we’ll be glad to assist you further.

Thank you.

Prabhavathi Patil, Sep 7, 2020
  3. Riel Alc Win User
    documents files and folders

Hi Paul,

For better assistance, we'd like to ask the following:

• What were the steps you've tried to reverse the alphabetization of files and folder name?
    • Can you provide us a sample screenshot of the issue?

We're looking forward to your reply.

Riel Alc, Sep 7, 2020
  4. Try3 Win User

I have somehow linked my Download, Desktop, and Documents Folders and I am unable to undo...

Merge Document Folders

Bob,

To remove any need for cross-referencing to that other thread I gave you a link to, here are the paras I was suggesting that you consider.

1 You can create a folder structure of your own on the HDD and just start using it. No grand schemes are required. No OS alterations are required.
    - It is common to have the following folders but they can be named & arranged however you want: Documents, Music, Videos, Pictures.
    - You will probably also want to create a Desktop folder [see #4 below].
    - You can also divide Documents into subfolders for your main lines of effort and each of these can be further subdivided.
    - Just by way of example & nothing more, my own Documents folder is divided into: Business, Personal, Common, Suppliers, InfoSys

2 You can augment that by opening each one of your applications and saving a test file to your Documents folder then opening a test file from that folder. Doing this makes most applications look there first in the future and that saves messing about browsing around the folders.

3 You can augment that by checking the Options / Preferences within each of you applications to see if a default folder can be nominated there as well.

4 You can augment that by 'relocating' the Desktop user folder [that has been created by Windows] to your HDD.
    - This is by default in C:\Users\[YourUserName]\Desktop but the system can be told to use the folder you have created on your HDD instead.
    - The TenForumsTutorial listed above can walk you through the whole procedure.

5 You can augment that by 'relocating' other user folders [that have been created by Windows] such as the Documents, Music, Videos, Pictures to your HDD.
    - These are by default in C:\Users\[YourUserName]\Documents etc but the system can be told to use the folders you have created on your HDD instead.
    - The TenForumsTutorials listed above can walk you through the whole procedure for each one.
    - Not everybody bothers with this step and some think that it conveys no benefit. I have done each of them.

Denis

Try3, Sep 7, 2020
Thema:

I have somehow linked my Download, Desktop, and Documents Folders and I am unable to undo...

1. I have somehow linked my Download, Desktop, and Documents Folders and I am unable to undo... - Similar Threads - somehow linked Download

2. i have merged download folder with desktop and now i have no download folder and two...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    i have merged download folder with desktop and now i have no download folder and two...: i have merged download folder with desktop and now i have no download folder and two desktop folder https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-have-merged-download-folder-with-desktop-and-now/4ac092fb-97a0-4be6-9599-579770fc74ce
  3. i have merged download folder with desktop and now i have no download folder and two...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    i have merged download folder with desktop and now i have no download folder and two...: i have merged download folder with desktop and now i have no download folder and two desktop folder https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-have-merged-download-folder-with-desktop-and-now/4ac092fb-97a0-4be6-9599-579770fc74ce
  4. System folders Downloads and Documents have somehow become connected so that they are not...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    System folders Downloads and Documents have somehow become connected so that they are not...: System folders Downloads and Documents have somehow become connected so that while I try and set their locations to their respective folders on my D drive, when I change one, the other changes as well. The names change to the folder corresponding to the location for both...
  5. I am unable to find my saved document

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    I am unable to find my saved document: Unable to find my backups https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-am-unable-to-find-my-saved-document/822a49b7-812d-4acf-b552-9377b42303d6
  6. I somehow have a 13TB+ Folder on the desktop of a 120GB drive, help...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    I somehow have a 13TB+ Folder on the desktop of a 120GB drive, help...: Self explanatory title, i can give screenshots if needed, i need these files but i have no idea how to move them to a larger drive. I assume i need to find a file thats this big and delete it, but how do i do that without manual searching? submitted by /u/GBlast64_Reddit...
  7. I am unable to open photos in My Documents

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    I am unable to open photos in My Documents: All photos that I try to open individually come back with an error: FILE SYSTEM ERROR -2147219196 Can you please tell me how I can get rid of this so that I can just view photos one at a time not as a slide show from the document rather than having to go a convoluted way in...
  8. Unable to open documents in the DOWNLOADS and DOCUMENTS folders

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Unable to open documents in the DOWNLOADS and DOCUMENTS folders: Since the past two days, after having downloaded a few documents, I am unable to open them. When I right click to open, it just gets stuck and I have to close it. I have tried moving the folder onto my desktop but once I open that and try to open a document inside, it just...
  9. I am unable to download a game i have purchased

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I am unable to download a game i have purchased: I bought a copy of Minecraft for Windows 10 and used it with my laptop for years. After a re-install of Windows 10 my Xbox live account and Microsoft accounts are fine and they recognise my device perfectly until I go to my Library, which knows that I own Minecraft, but has...
  10. I have somehow dropped my user folder into my Documents folder!!

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    I have somehow dropped my user folder into my Documents folder!!: Or the other way round to be honest I can't get my head around it.*Sick The upshot is that I don't have a c:\users\mike folder any more its now the c:\users\Documents folder ! but...... it's not! if I open a cmd prompt in the folder it says it's the c:\users\mike folder...