Windows 10: I have to disable laptop's speaker, but keep the headphones operational, but "sound" menu...

Discus and support I have to disable laptop's speaker, but keep the headphones operational, but "sound" menu... in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hello everyone! I want to thank everyone who takes the time to read through all of this! :p I think it might be better to post the context for the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by StarshipJake, Jun 28, 2020.

1. I have to disable laptop's speaker, but keep the headphones operational, but "sound" menu...

Hello everyone!
    I want to thank everyone who takes the time to read through all of this! I have to disable laptop's speaker, but keep the headphones operational, but "sound" menu... :p I think it might be better to post the context for the problem if that's okay.

I own an Acer Aspire 792g with Windows 10.
    Some time ago I had an issue with a buzzing and then very loud crackling noise coming from the laptop, which I have finally been able to identify as a damaged speaker. The problem was difficult enough to diagnose because the crackling would spontaneously appear even when there was no audio played, or when it was muted, or when I was using headphones, which I was almost all the time.

Eventually, however, I discovered that it is in fact the speaker. The issue has to be somehow connected to the temperature because the crackling would only appear when the laptop was used in a warm room and only after some time of it being used, but the warmer it was - the sooner the noises would appear. Anyway, I discovered that disabling the speakers hardware in my "hardware and sound" menu in the control panel completely eliminated the noises. Of course, it turns off the sound as well, but it did stop the speaker from crackling. But I encountered another issue.

As it turned out, the "sound" menu always shows the same device being the one that is presently being used, regardless of whether I'm using speakers or plugging in any headphones, it always shows as the same piece of hardware. So when I would disable the speakers, then even after plugging in the headphones the sound still wouldn't play - because now they'd show as being disabled. And of course, enabling them would soon bring back the crackling noises from the now unused speaker.

I read that the Realtek audio manager menu has the option of splitting the devices into separate positions on the list. However, my laptop appears to be one of the few which doesn't support the advanced Realtek drivers which offer that option. I wasn't able to separate the headphones and the speakers on my laptop via Realtek menu, regardless of the version of the driver that I used. I just don't have the access to the "advanced" settings.

On a hunch, I decided to check if using the Microsoft HD Audio drivers would offer some solutions and to try them out, I had to switch the driver for the speakers in the device manager. To do that, I had to look for them on the list of all available drivers, some of which apparently aren't the right ones for my laptop at least that's what the message in the menu warned about. I selected the Microsoft's HD Audio driver version 10.0.186... from 2019. To my surprise, it worked. The sound was there, while the headphones and speakers now appeared as two separate devices in my audio menu. I disabled the speakers, left the headphones alone, now I have the audio in my headphones and there's no buzzing and crackling from the speaker whatsoever!

That alone is a huge win for me. However, naturally, there are downsides. The volume is lower, not devastatingly lower, but somewhat lower. But more importantly, once ever 10, 20, 30 minutes there's a single popping sound in my headphones. To put it mildly, they don't sound very healthy I have to disable laptop's speaker, but keep the headphones operational, but "sound" menu... :p
    Preferably I'd avoid using a driver which might not be the best fit for my hardware, but installing the recommended Realtek driver will again merge my headphones and speakers into one position on the list, thus preventing me from stopping the buzzing and effectively making the laptop unusable during the summer.

So my question is this:
    Is there any way to keep the speakers disabled and headphones enabled without sacrificing the sound quality that comes from using audio drivers other than Realtek?

A huge thank you in advance to anyone who decides to help out! If you need any additional info, please let me know.

Cheers, everyone!

:)

StarshipJake, Jun 28, 2020

2. All sound playing through speakers instead of headphones

Hi Luke,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

It's unfortunate that you are facing this issue. Let me assist you to resolve the issue.

Share this information to assist you better.

• What is the make and model of the computer?
    • Which update caused this issue. Share the KB number.

I understand that the audio is playing through speakers in your Windows 10 laptop

Follow the steps and check if it helps.

Method :

I would also suggest you to make your headphone as the default device when it is plugged in.

This may happen when you have the external speakers set to default.

Perform the task mentioned below to set headphones as default:

1. On the start screen of windows 10 press the ‘Windows key + X’ key on the keyboard and then click on control panel and then Hardware and sound option.

2. Click in Sound, then a new window will open up.

3. In the new windows click on the tab "Playback" and right click in the window and click on Show Disabled devices.

4. Now check if headphones are listed there and right click on it and choose enable.

5. Highlight that headphones and click on "Set as Default".

Hope this helps, keep us posted.

Rakesh Narayanaswamy, Jun 28, 2020
  3. No sound from headphones but speakers work.

No Its Just A Speaker

glockafella, Jun 28, 2020
  4. essenbe Win User

I have to disable laptop's speaker, but keep the headphones operational, but "sound" menu...

Disable speakers and keep headphone jack enabled?

I'm not sure if this will do what you want, but type sound into the search bar, click on change sound card settings, right click the speakers and select disable, then select the headphones and at the bottom click Default. That should disable the speakers and use the headphones for all sounds.

essenbe, Jun 28, 2020
Thema:

I have to disable laptop's speaker, but keep the headphones operational, but "sound" menu...

1. I have to disable laptop's speaker, but keep the headphones operational, but "sound" menu... - Similar Threads - disable laptop's speaker

2. Headphones and speaker doesn't have sound

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Headphones and speaker doesn't have sound: Hello,ASUS K555UB, Windows 10My headphones don't seem to play sounds after my cat stepped on my headphone wires. I unplugged my headphones and my laptop speaker doesn't also seem to play any sounds so i decided to reinstall my drivers. To no avail, It doesn't seem to work and...
  3. Headphones and speaker doesn't have sound

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Headphones and speaker doesn't have sound: Hello,ASUS K555UB, Windows 10My headphones don't seem to play sounds after my cat stepped on my headphone wires. I unplugged my headphones and my laptop speaker doesn't also seem to play any sounds so i decided to reinstall my drivers. To no avail, It doesn't seem to work and...
  4. Headphones and speaker doesn't have sound

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Speakers have sound but headphones do not...

Speakers have sound but headphones do not...: Since yesterday I have lost sound to my headphones on my Thinkpad 540p. The speakers work fine and they mute when the headphones are plugged in. I have tried another pair of headphones with similar result. I have spent the afternoon following advice here and on search engines...
  6. USB Headphones Recognized as Speakers and have No Sound

USB Headphones Recognized as Speakers and have No Sound: Hello! I am using Logitech G533 USB headphones on my Windows 10 PC but they do not appear to be recognized as USB headphones and they have no sound coming from them at all. They worked previously and I don't know what changed to make them not recognize correctly. I've already...
  7. USB Headphones Recognized as Speakers and have No Sound

USB Headphones Recognized as Speakers and have No Sound: Hello! I am using Logitech G533 USB headphones on my Windows 10 PC but they do not appear to be recognized as USB headphones and they have no sound coming from them at all. They worked previously and I don't know what changed to make them not recognize correctly. I've already...
  8. Sound Headphones - Speaker

Sound Headphones - Speaker: So i have speaker and headphones. When i plugg in just one of them, in sounds at playback it appears like "speaker", if i plugg in both of devices, the same appears in sounds at playback. I don't know how to make 2 "things" in sound settings. 1 for speaker and 1 for...
  9. no sound on speaker but have sound while plugged in headphone

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    no sound on speaker but have sound while plugged in headphone: my laptop suddenly does not have sound on speaker, only while i plugged in my headphone. I have tried every thing that discussed on the internet such as reinstall, disable the driver....
  10. Disable speakers and keep headphone jack enabled?

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Disable speakers and keep headphone jack enabled?: Where I work, the IT department made the mistake of purchasing computers with built-in speakers. We do not want the speakers to function at all, only any sound put through the headphone jack. After disabling the speakers, we found that YouTube no longer works, which is a...