Windows 10: I have to restart my laptop to use a usb keyboard.

Discus and support I have to restart my laptop to use a usb keyboard. in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hello, when I plug in a usb keyboard, it does not work unless I restart my laptop. The lights on the keyboard turn on but I just can't type anything.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Aidan`, May 6, 2021.

1. Aidan` Win User

I have to restart my laptop to use a usb keyboard.

Hello, when I plug in a usb keyboard, it does not work unless I restart my laptop. The lights on the keyboard turn on but I just can't type anything. Is there a way to fix this problem.

:)

Aidan`, May 6, 2021

2. USB keyboard disconnects when holding any button down

Hi,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Community.

I suggest you to follow the below methods and check if it helps.

Method 1: I suggest you to try the following steps and check if it helps:

• The USB connection may be loose. Try unplugging the keyboard, and then plugging it back in.
    • Plug the keyboard into a different USB port.
    • If your keyboard is plugged into a USB hub or USB switch box, try removing it and plugging the keyboard into the computer.
    • Unplug other USB devices that are not in use.
    • Try the keyboard on another computer to verify it is working correctly

Method 2: Also I suggest you to uninstall and reinstall the usb keyboard drivers as below and check if it helps.

• Press Windows+X and go to device manager.
    • Then expand keyboards and right click on the driver.
    • Then click on uninstall and restart the computer.
    • It will be reinstalled automatically and check if it helps.

Hope this information was helpful and do let us know if you need further assistance. We will be glad to assist.

Karthicka_R, May 6, 2021
  3. Keyboard letters problem

Here are the first two steps you need to take:

• Try a different keyboard (or an external USB keyboard in case of a laptop)
    • See if the problem persists with the on-screen keyboard (osk.exe)

Frederik Long, May 6, 2021
  4. I have to restart my laptop to use a usb keyboard.

Disabling laptop keyboard

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

As per the description. Let me help you in resolving the issue.

I suggest you follow the steps below and check if that helps:

• Press Windows + X and select
      Device Manager
      from the list.
    • Find Keyboards in the list of devices and click the arrow to expand it.
    • Right-click on the internal keyboard and click Disable. If there is no Disable option listed, click
      Uninstall.
    • Click File>Exit. Your laptop’s internal keyboard should now be disabled.
    Note: If you had to choose Uninstall instead of Disable in step 4, the keyboard will be automatically detected and re-installed if you ever have the Device Manager scan for new hardware for some reason. If that happens you’ll need to repeat this procedure
    in order to uninstall it again.

Hope the information helps. Please let us know if the issue persist and we will be happy to assist you further.

Nachappa C K, May 6, 2021
Thema:

I have to restart my laptop to use a usb keyboard.

1. I have to restart my laptop to use a usb keyboard. - Similar Threads - restart laptop usb

2. How to disable my laptop keyboard while using a USB external keyboard

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to disable my laptop keyboard while using a USB external keyboard: Unfortunately, the keyboard on my laptop is awful, both the "v" and "b" keys simply don't work, and the "m" key has fallen off leaving a space on my keyboard which is impossible to reattach, and this now means that occasionally, my keyboard just constantly types the "m" key.I...
  3. How to disable my laptop keyboard while using a USB external keyboard

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to disable my laptop keyboard while using a USB external keyboard: Unfortunately, the keyboard on my laptop is awful, both the "v" and "b" keys simply don't work, and the "m" key has fallen off leaving a space on my keyboard which is impossible to reattach, and this now means that occasionally, my keyboard just constantly types the "m" key.I...
  4. How to disable my laptop keyboard while using a USB external keyboard

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Laptop keyboard not working after restart, have to uninstall unknown usb device from device...

Laptop keyboard not working after restart, have to uninstall unknown usb device from device...: The laptop keyboard is not working after restart, I have to uninstall an unknown USB device from the device manager with all the USB ports unplugged. I have to shut down and then start the laptop again to fix the problem each time, then plug back all the USB devices. i had...
  6. Laptop keyboard not working after restart, have to uninstall unknown usb device from device...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Laptop keyboard not working after restart, have to uninstall unknown usb device from device...: The laptop keyboard is not working after restart, I have to uninstall an unknown USB device from the device manager with all the USB ports unplugged. I have to shut down and then start the laptop again to fix the problem each time, then plug back all the USB devices. i had...
  7. Laptop keyboard and touchpad not working after I use external usb keyboard and mouse

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Laptop keyboard and touchpad not working after I use external usb keyboard and mouse: Hi. I recently started using an external usb keyboard and bluetooth mouse on my Dell Latitude 7280 laptop Windows 10 Pro. After few hours use laptop keyboard and touchpad stopped working. I checked Device manager and the I2C Hid device has a yellow warning. There are also a...
  8. Laptop keyboard and touchpad not working after I use external usb keyboard and mouse

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Laptop keyboard and touchpad not working after I use external usb keyboard and mouse: Hi. I recently started using an external usb keyboard and bluetooth mouse on my Dell Latitude 7280 laptop Windows 10 Pro. After few hours use laptop keyboard and touchpad stopped working. I checked Device manager and the I2C Hid device has a yellow warning. There are also a...
  9. Laptop keyboard and touchpad not working after I use external usb keyboard and mouse

10. W10 restart/USB keyboard & mouse

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    W10 restart/USB keyboard & mouse: I recently waded into the W10 pool and I am completely baffled about this subject. I set up a dual boot SSD with my W7 system of seven years (which still hums) and I can say everything is running very nicely. W10 starts up extremely fast from a power up - thanks to “Fast...