Windows 10: I have tried to upgrade from Windows 8 to 10 and changed the hardware as my old PC died.

Discus and support I have tried to upgrade from Windows 8 to 10 and changed the hardware as my old PC died. in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Windows 10 can't activate unless I purchase a new product key. I thought the old Windows 8 key would work fine when I upgraded to Win10 from my old PC.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by BrianHarris7, Nov 26, 2018.

1. I have tried to upgrade from Windows 8 to 10 and changed the hardware as my old PC died.

Windows 10 can't activate unless I purchase a new product key. I thought the old Windows 8 key would work fine when I upgraded to Win10 from my old PC. What are my options?

:)

BrianHarris7, Nov 26, 2018

2. Hardware change after upgrading from Windows 8

I'm planning to upgrade to Windows 10 from Windows 8 Pro using the free upgrade.

I also hope to Change(Upgrade i.e. Motherboard, RAM, Processor & VGA) the Hardware of my PC, in the near future.

My Questions are on how I activate windows 10 in the new Hardware? (The Old Hardware will be Fully Discarded.)

• Do I have to Install windows 8 on the New Hardware and then Upgrade to Windows 10 again?
    OR

If I make the jump to Windows 10 now on my Old Hardware, Can directly I make a fresh Windows 10 installation on the
    New Hardware?

• If this is possible, what will be the serial Key?
    • Does Microsoft Keep track of if the Serial was upgraded to Win 10?
    I am looking for Clear clarification (Or a Solution apart from purchasing a New Licence ) on this matter since I am a Hardware enthusiast who updates hardware more often than most users . I also read on this forum that something similar to the above is possible
    for retail versions. How do I verify if my Windows 8 is Retail ?

Thanks.

DexterMartel, Nov 26, 2018
  3. Nordic Win User
    Windows 10 upgrade problem, no input accepted

I really hate having to come here and ask for help, but I really am stumped. It hurts my geek pride. I have a PC with fairly modern hardware in it. It has a p8p67 pro in it. I have tried upgrading windows 10 on it twice now. Both times I have had the same result.

After windows finishes upgrading it goes to the log in/set up screen. I can't do anything. No keyboard or mouse input is accepted.

I will list some, or hopefully all, of the troubleshooting steps I have tried:
    • Move keyboard and mouse to different USB ports.
    • Try different keyboard or mouse.
    • Restart computer, repeatedly.
    • Google for related issues.
    • Update Bios, because why not.
    • Create boot media and revert to windows 7.
    The windows 10 system restore boot media works fine with keyboard and mouse. All USB ports work in windows 7. I don't know what is wrong. I suspect that windows 10 is lacking a driver of some sort, but since the computer accepts no input I have no way of checking for which driver let alone installing it.

Please help me figure this out. If I have to revert back to windows 7 again, I am not going to get it upgraded to windows 10. Thank you in advanced.

Nordic, Nov 26, 2018
  4. _rwhite_ Win User

I have tried to upgrade from Windows 8 to 10 and changed the hardware as my old PC died.

Windows 8 Pro Retail => Windows 10 Pro (Free upgrade) Fails Activation after hardware change

Hi,

I bought 2 retail licenses (one for my desktop and one for my laptop) for Windows 8 several years ago and upgraded to Windows 10 (via the free upgrade). Recently I had to change some hardware (motherboard) and I get the following error code when trying to
    activate Windows: 0xC004C003.

I have tried the following, all of which have failed.

1. Troubeshoot -> I recently changed hardware on this device (I can only see my Laptop License and not my desktop)
    2. Provided the Installation ID (via phone helpdesk) on two occasions.
    First help desk technician suggested I buy a new Windows License and the second suggested I reinstall and use Windows 8. Both suggestions from help desk are ridiculous.

How do I proceed without having to:

1. Pay for a license I should technically already have
    2. Downgrade back to Windows 8 (loose time / data)

_rwhite_, Nov 26, 2018
Thema:

I have tried to upgrade from Windows 8 to 10 and changed the hardware as my old PC died.

1. I have tried to upgrade from Windows 8 to 10 and changed the hardware as my old PC died. - Similar Threads - tried upgrade changed

2. Upgrade to Windows 10 from 8.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Upgrade to Windows 10 from 8.: I have an older Laptop that I use for travel. It was my wife's old laptop. It crashed ad I had reload then it became available. OEM disks after replacing the hard drive. Now it's running 8.1. I had previously upgraded it to Widows 10 when available. It I just bought a new...
  3. Upgrade to Windows 10 from 8.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Upgrade to Windows 10 from 8.: I have an older Laptop that I use for travel. It was my wife's old laptop. It crashed ad I had reload then it became available. OEM disks after replacing the hard drive. Now it's running 8.1. I had previously upgraded it to Widows 10 when available. It I just bought a new...
  4. Trying to upgrade my old computer from windows version 8 to windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Trying to upgrade my old computer from windows version 8 to windows 10: I have downloaded windows 10 but my computer won't let me run it. Error 0x80072F8F-0x20000 occurs. I have tried trouble shooting available however, it won't let me use the default secure protocols on my pc either. Most of trouble shooting is for windows 7 and not windows 8. I...
  5. Trying to upgrade my old computer from windows version 8 to windows 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Trying to upgrade my old computer from windows version 8 to windows 10: I have downloaded windows 10 but my computer won't let me run it. Error 0x80072F8F-0x20000 occurs. I have tried trouble shooting available however, it won't let me use the default secure protocols on my pc either. Most of trouble shooting is for windows 7 and not windows 8. I...
  6. Window 10 upgrade from 8

Window 10 upgrade from 8: Can I upgrade direct from 8 to 10 I have tried updating to 8.1 but it is continually failing attached is a copy of my specs on this laptop Thank you https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/window-10-upgrade-from-8/b95452fa-dbf9-4d06-bcbe-60d52335c15a
  7. Upgraded old computer from windows 8 to windows 8.1

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Upgraded old computer from windows 8 to windows 8.1: Looked online and it said I could upgrade from win 8 to win 8.1 for free. Followed the instructions and down loaded the ISO image,, burned it too a USB drive and booted the computer from it. The upgrade was successful, but now it is asking me for a product key. But it also...
  8. Upgraded old computer from windows 8 to windows 8.1

Upgraded old computer from windows 8 to windows 8.1: Looked online and it said I could upgrade from win 8 to win 8.1 for free. Followed the instructions and down loaded the ISO image,, burned it too a USB drive and booted the computer from it. The upgrade was successful, but now it is asking me for a product key. But it also...
  9. Trying to upgrade my Windows 8 to Windows 10 Pro

Trying to upgrade my Windows 8 to Windows 10 Pro: I have a laptop with Windows 8 64 bit. I want to upgrade to Windows 10 Pro 64 bit. However it gets to about 70 percent then reads this code 0x800707E7-0x3000D. Then starts undoing the changes. What do I need to do?...
  10. upgrading to Windows 10 from 8

upgrading to Windows 10 from 8: Hello, So I finally upgraded my dads windows 8 laptop to windows 10 because he's a stubborn old man who wouldnt do it when it was free.. That windows 8 version had face recognition password that he used to log in and cant remember the password he used to create that log...