Windows 10: I have windows 7 and am planning to upgrade. But I have a question about the installation tool

Discus and support I have windows 7 and am planning to upgrade. But I have a question about the installation tool in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; So I already know that I can have a free upgrade but I don’t have my licence key. I was wondering if when I download it it will be the “activate... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/JuicyPrimeRibs, Nov 11, 2020.

1. I have windows 7 and am planning to upgrade. But I have a question about the installation tool

So I already know that I can have a free upgrade but I don’t have my licence key. I was wondering if when I download it it will be the “activate windows thing”. Because I have windows 7 pro but it’s an oem. Please help me with this because I don’t feel like shelling out 189 bucks.

submitted by /u/JuicyPrimeRibs
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/JuicyPrimeRibs, Nov 11, 2020

2. windows xp installation and dual core am

could someone please list the steps they follow to install windows with a dual core processor and windows xp service pack to. I'm reletively new to amd dual core and i feel i'm missing a step. All help will be appreciated. thanx

exodusprime1337, Nov 11, 2020
  3. lse123 Win User
    is hardware OK (Win 7) for upgrade to windows 10

I think in one of the other PC with win 7 or win 8.1 I run media creators tools and in some step prompt/found graphics card not supported... for win 10. I didn't found alone reading specs of win 10, but the tool says me... after changed graphics card the tool said all OK and continued OK with upgrade... That I ask to reach this step in this current PC - win 7 - must be all OK for the upgrade? Or must continue to upgrade to show this?
    and got to point

• UPGRADE this PC now
    • Create media(DVD, USB stick, ISO)
    is hardware OK (Win 7) for an upgrade to windows 10 for this PC???

lse123, Nov 11, 2020
  4. FormUser Win User

I have windows 7 and am planning to upgrade. But I have a question about the installation tool

Planning to upgrade and rebuild

Thanks for the comments, but the project is much, much broader.

After doing further research, I think the project has to be chopped up into smaller, more manageable steps. Basically, do an in-place upgrade to Windows 10 Pro first, then make sure that the system works as expected, and only then do a clean upgrade to Windows
    10 Pro. The planning steps are (currently) as follows, with open questions identified.

Step 1: Do an in-place upgrade to Windows 10 Pro. This will give me the digital entitlement for Windows 10 Pro, even if I subsequently do a clean install of Windows 10 Pro. Open questions for step 1:

• Do I need to suspend BitLocker on the internal HDD and turn off BitLocker on Storage Spaces/File History prior to the in-place upgrade? Or what BitLocker-related precautions should I take? I like to retain the BitLocker USB key if possible (?)
    • Can I keep the Storage Spaces/File History attached for the in-place upgrade or do I need to detach the Storage Spaces/File History for the in-place upgrade?
    • As a refresher, for Storage Spaces, I use 2 identical external USB HDDs in a mirror configuration, which is used for File History. I call this Storage Spaces/File History

Step 2: Live with the in-place upgrade for at least a week or two, to make sure that the entire Windows 10 Pro system works as expected, including:

• internal HDD with BitLocker drive encryption enabled
    • Storage Spaces/File History with BitLocker drive encryption and auto-unlock enabled
    • System boots with the same (if possible?) BitLocker USB key

Step 3: Turn off BitLocker system-wide (on the internal HDD and on Storage Spaces/File History) prior to the clean install of Windows 10 Pro. Turning off BitLocker system-wide seems to be the least troublesome option in preparation for the clean install
    of Windows Pro, although this may (?) require a new key in the BitLocker USB key after the clean install of Windows 10 Pro.

Step 4: Do a clean install of Windows 10 Pro, no product key should be required as the digital entitlement has been secured in step 1. Open questions for step 4:

• Do a full reformat (not just a quick reformat) of the internal HDD first, as I do not want to rely merely on deleting partitions during the re-install procedure (Do I need a third party app to do a full reformat or will a native Windows utility do
      the job?)
    • Create the ISO file and do a clean install of Windows 10 Pro. I believe I need to detach Storage Spaces/File History during the clean install of Windows 10 Pro (?)

Step 5: Re-install all my apps, re-do the configurations/settings.

Step 6: Re-attach Storage Spaces/File History and restore all my files.

Step 7: Turn on BitLocker system-wide with a new key (?) in the BitLocker USB key, including auto-unlock of Storage Spaces/File History.

The clean installed Windows 10 Pro system should now work with BitLocker enabled.

I keep researching the open questions in the above as well as the issues marked with question marks. Any help appreciated I have windows 7 and am planning to upgrade. But I have a question about the installation tool :)

FormUser, Nov 11, 2020
Thema:

I have windows 7 and am planning to upgrade. But I have a question about the installation tool

1. I have windows 7 and am planning to upgrade. But I have a question about the installation tool - Similar Threads - planning upgrade question

2. I have a question about windows 10 pro installation.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    I have a question about windows 10 pro installation.: I already have Windows 10 installed on the USB, but, I'm a little confused very tech savvy, but, 70 yrs old : , so, I need a little clarification/help.I have a separate hard-drive/SSD installed that is just going to be dedicated to Windows 10, separately, butI'm still also...
  3. I have a question about windows 10 pro installation.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I have a question about windows 10 pro installation.: I already have Windows 10 installed on the USB, but, I'm a little confused very tech savvy, but, 70 yrs old : , so, I need a little clarification/help.I have a separate hard-drive/SSD installed that is just going to be dedicated to Windows 10, separately, butI'm still also...
  4. I have a question about windows 10 pro installation.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. I have questions about windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I have questions about windows 11: Questions 1How is it going to be for the privacy of the windows 11 because where I come from privacy is here stricted because I am is in Netherlands and in Europe as I see new information about the Microsoft can see what ever you on the computer if going some website and that...
  6. I have questions about windows 11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I have questions about windows 11: Questions 1How is it going to be for the privacy of the windows 11 because where I come from privacy is here stricted because I am is in Netherlands and in Europe as I see new information about the Microsoft can see what ever you on the computer if going some website and that...
  7. i have a question about hibernation

in Windows 10 Support
    i have a question about hibernation: in the past when i was on windows 10 build 1809 the laptop went to sleep when i closed the lid and it woke up when i opened the lid and the screen turned on. i didnt have to press the power button to wake up the laptop and opening the lid will wake up the laptop regardless of...
  8. I am planning to format and reinstall Windows 10 on my laptop and I have a couple of questions.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    I am planning to format and reinstall Windows 10 on my laptop and I have a couple of questions.: Hello! I wanted to proceed with a fresh install of Windows 10 after having multiple issues with the current state of my laptop. The laptop came with a pre-installed copy of Windows 10 Home Single Language. It says that I have a digital license for the same. Anyways, I...
  9. i have a question about the upgrade pop up notifications

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    i have a question about the upgrade pop up notifications: when a windows 10 build is nearing end of life you will start getting pop up notifications in the lower right telling you that you need to restart so that a new build is installed for you and if you keep on dismissing those warnings then you will get a full screen...
  10. i have a question about chrome

in Windows 10 Customization
    i have a question about chrome: Every time my PC starts, I always get an image of Chrome, but this image is of another color, it's light blue, it's the same Chrome browser but clearer, I feel that this chrome slows down my PC, there is some way to disable it ?...