Windows 10: I initialized and formatted both of my new HDD's. Can I still RAID 1 mirror them?

Discus and support I initialized and formatted both of my new HDD's. Can I still RAID 1 mirror them? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; My NVME has the OS on it. I have two other 2TB HHD's that are brand new. I followed this tutorial to initialize and format them. All the tutorials I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/Chrispy_Reddit, Dec 20, 2019.

1. I initialized and formatted both of my new HDD's. Can I still RAID 1 mirror them?

My NVME has the OS on it. I have two other 2TB HHD's that are brand new. I followed this tutorial to initialize and format them. All the tutorials I see for setting up RAID 1 mirror start with one or both of the hard drives not yet initialized/formatted.

Will I still be able to follow steps like this or this, or will there be extra steps I'll now need to do like undoing the format and returning one or both hard drives to "Unallocated"?

submitted by /u/Chrispy_Reddit
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/Chrispy_Reddit, Dec 20, 2019
  2. Ethan Z. Win User

Trouble creating a RAID 1 Array

Originally, I wanted to create a RAID 1 Array using USB Drives lying around and test it out and see how well RAID 1 works. A message popped up when I clicked on the partition I wanted to mirror and said the operation failed because the Disk Management
    Console is not up to date. It suggested I refresh it, relaunch it, or even restart my computer. I tried all three things, and it still wouldn't let me mirror the partition. Then I realized that maybe Windows won't let me create a RAID 1 Array on USB Drives,
    so I went to the original plan I was going to do and grabbed my 500GB External HDD and my 120GB External SSD (they are both USB 3.0 connected enclosures) and when I tried to mirror a partition on my 500GB HDD using my SSD, it wouldn't let me use the SSD to
    mirror it. So then I tried using my internal windows 10 SSD to mirror my HDD. But, I needed to shrink my main partition on my internal SSD and it wouldn't let me shrink it saying there was a certain amount I could shrink it to, but I could only shrink 135MB
    at max and I have 89.4GB free on that partition. Any suggestions and help would be appreciated (and by the way, if you're wondering why I'm trying to run RAID 1 on an external HDD/SSD is just for testing and more file redundancy and performance).

Ethan Z., Dec 20, 2019
  3. akkha Win User
    Software Raid 1. Can not Add Mirror !

I can't Add Mirror to Disk 1 (from Disk 2)!

I initialized and formatted both of my new HDD's. Can I still RAID 1 mirror them? [​IMG]

Windows 10 popup the following message.

I initialized and formatted both of my new HDD's. Can I still RAID 1 mirror them? [​IMG]

What should I do . I don't want to buy a new HDD.

My OS: Windows 10 Pro Version 1607 x64

Thanks in advance

akkha, Dec 20, 2019
  4. jimbo45 Win User

I initialized and formatted both of my new HDD's. Can I still RAID 1 mirror them?

Software Raid 1. Can not Add Mirror !

Hi there

I believe to use mirror / striping in RAID 1 configuration on Windows you need to use Storage spaces - so set the 2 HDD's into a storage space and then you can adjust striping / mirroring.

How to set up RAID in Windows 10 - Windows 10 - Toms Hardware

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Dec 20, 2019
Thema:

I initialized and formatted both of my new HDD's. Can I still RAID 1 mirror them?

1. I initialized and formatted both of my new HDD's. Can I still RAID 1 mirror them? - Similar Threads - initialized formatted both

2. I have a new HDD but I still want to use my old HDD

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    I have a new HDD but I still want to use my old HDD: I've currently bought another HDD to use since my OLD HDD had bad sectors. I wanted to know whether this OLD HDD would affect my new HDD if I still continued to use my OLD HDD. I'm planning to format the HDD to mark the bad sectors as not usable. 183943
  3. I formatted my HDD, but now there are still folders on Appdata.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    I formatted my HDD, but now there are still folders on Appdata.: Hello,I formatted my HDD, on which were many programs and games. The problem is that on appdata there are still the folders of these programs. What should i do? Can i delete them?...
  4. Transfer of Raid 1 (mirrored) drives to new PC

Transfer of Raid 1 (mirrored) drives to new PC: I recently built a new desktop PC. I transferred two 8TB drives that were mirrored from my previous PC. In my new PC they show up as one drive. I have put each drive individually and they each show up with all the data. I have backed up this data and wish to use the drives as...
  5. Storage Spaces 2-way mirror Vanished! RAID 1

Storage Spaces 2-way mirror Vanished! RAID 1: Setup: Windows 10 Pro updated to 20H2 1x 600GB HDD with OS Win 10 Pro, updated to 20H2 - all fine 2x 4TB HDD in RAID 1 two-way mirror using Windows Storage Space -ERROR All worked fine for 8 months, but while moving system to a new case, all of a sudden mytwo-way mirror...
  6. RAID 1 (Mirrored) and 20H1

RAID 1 (Mirrored) and 20H1: I am having the following problem in trying to set up a Mirrored RAID https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...d4481ae?page=2 Seems to be a 20H1 issue sure hope they fix it 155456
  7. Can't boot after deleting a raid 1 mirror.

Can't boot after deleting a raid 1 mirror.: I deleted an old Intel WINDOWSXP raid 1 mirror and the system would not boot. I tried fixboot “access denied” . All hard drives removed. I used the procedure to use fixboot but the problem was not the same as indicated. My boot is volume 1 but as’”E”. Volume 3 is” C” which...
  8. I want to format both my ssd and hdd and I need help.

I want to format both my ssd and hdd and I need help.: So I have a samsung 250gb ssd (C:) and a hdd (E:). My ssd contains windows on it along with some programs and my hdd has mostly games and programs. I want to format both of them, but I am unable to do it in Disk Managment. For both of them the format button is greyed out. How...
  9. I Can't Format My HDD

I Can't Format My HDD: Hiya guys, I have 2 HDD's in my PC, one is a Windows 10 HDD and the other is just there for media files. I wanted to format my media drive, but it wont let me. It turns out when I installed Windows 10, it added the boot folders to the media HDD. No idea why. I guess I need...
  10. Software Raid 1. Can not Add Mirror !

Software Raid 1. Can not Add Mirror !: I can't Add Mirror to Disk 1 (from Disk 2)! [img] Windows 10 popup the following message. [img] What should I do . I don't want to buy a new HDD. My OS: Windows 10 Pro Version 1607 x64 Thanks in advance 83276